Current Project: Preparing Daphne Entries
Status: Done
Status: Done
At a loss for a blog idea and growing frustrated, I made some hot chocolate and added a generous portion of peppermint schnapps. I instantly felt relaxed and rewarded. And had a topic. What are your guilty pleasures? What special thing do you do for yourself that makes you spend more money than you should? Or something you don't want to share with your family because it is all for you and no one else! Maybe it's something very simple but makes you feel great. In tough economic times we must take our pleasures where we can find them.
My top ten:
1. The drink above. Best on cold evenings. Like right now.
2. Starbucks Espresso Truffle instead of my usual black coffee. A seasonal drink that is not available nonfat.
3. Haircut and color. I pay too much, but damn I feel fantastic afterward.
4. Coach purses.
5. Hardback books.
6. About once a month I must have a Big Mac.
7. Real butter
8. Haagen Dazs. Usually I buy for family, but sometimes it's just for me.
(Suddenly I'm very disturbed that most of my favorite pleasures have to do with eating. I should weigh ten tons.)
9. Movie rentals. When I can select alone and watch any DVD I want alone. No negotiating with the kids or husband. Last time it was the first season of Heroes.
10. Writer's conferences. Usually too spendy, but I'm on a writing high for weeks.
Your turn. Does everyone else think of food first?
17 comments:
LOL Kendra!
My ten guilty pleasures
1) Dove dark chocolate ( I keep it in my desk so hubby and grandkids don't know I have it- well except for the wrappers in the trash)
2)watching a dvd during the day.( I rarely do this unless I am exhausted or can't write)
3) letting the dust pile up on the furniture
4)Buying research books
5)Hot chocolate ( I have it every morning)
6) Buying little things for the grandkids.
7) buying a new bra
8)a pedicure and massage(can't wait for my daughter to come in May because both the girls and I are doing a day at a spa- massage, pedicure the whole works)
9)Hair cut (wish I could color but the dyes and I don't agree)
10) spending a day with the dh when we don't work
For extra fun today, go to murdershewrites.com and read Roxanne St. Claire's post on the condom conundrum.
Paty, Dove makes the absolute best chocolate. No one else can match that smoothness! Buying a new bra--that's me, too! A trip to Victoria's Secret where I spend a lot of money and emerge with a very tiny bag. (Even better without the kids along.)
Fun topic, Kendra. I love getting to know our "writers" better.
My guilty pleasures are...
(1) Pedicures
(2) Massages
(3) Starbuck's Espresso Truffle -oh yeah, this one's on my list too, Kendra. It's to DIE for.
(4) Cute shoes
(5) Dove dark chocolate - I'm with you on this one Paty. Though I can't have it every day.
(6) Coffee with Baileys...yum...this is a holiday (vacation!!) treat only.
(7) Reading. Not for research, just for fun.
(8) The Internet - esp. Facebook. I waste more time here than I should.
(9) Time alone with the DH - when neither of us have anything to do, we can relax and just be together (sans kiddos). Usually, this corresponds with vacation.
(10) Looking at Paul Walker. In any movie.
Kendra, VS is one of my guilty pleasures. I'd like to buy more than bras there, but my husband doesn't like me wasting money on things that are only worn for five minutes!
Okay, I'll play along!
1.) time with the dh
2.) any tropical water
3.) rides along beautiful roads, esp. if I haven't been there before
4.) snow falling
5.) watching snow fall while snug by a fire
6.) walking in crunchy snow while more snow falls
7.) BBQ lobster on a September evening while dancing to Santana. Best accomplished on a deck with flickering candles.
8.) finishing a book
9.) having a book idea zap me out of nowhere
10.) dinner on a late summer evening, outside on the deck, under the umbrella with a good bottle of wine.
Love yours, Alice!!!
*sigh* I can see why Alice writes romance!
I blame Elisabeth for my facebook addiction. (Warning: she's trolling for more victims!) But it's been wonderful to get in touch with people I haven't seen since high school.
Yum. Baileys sans coffee. :)
1) Reading a book from cover to cover in one sitting without guilt.
2) All my children going to Gramma's for a night and a day. (or more)
3) Sitting on the sofa with my computer doing emails or watching The Bachelor and Lost with no interruptions from DH or kids.
4) Spending money and time to go to our Chapter Beach Retreats. LOVE THIS!
5) Spending time with DH and NO kidlets. (Would that this could happen more often. Sigh.)
6) Drinking regular Coke a couple times a month without kids knowing. (have stopped this, sigh)
7) #2 through #6 of the stuff on Alice's list. She's the Man! Or, the woman!
8) Writing instead of housework.
9) Paddington's Pizza
10) Thai Beer dates with Todd even if we don't have the extra money to eat out.
This was hard! Lists are always hard for me. What's up with that?
1. Take myself out to the movies. By myself. During the day. That's just soooo bad.
2. Eat chicken. I'm vegetarian, but I will eat chicken on very rare occasions. When I crave protein and fish isn't enough, that's my guilty pleasure. Shhh... Don't tell my husband.
3. Hang out at the Absolute Write Water Cooler (it's a writers forum) for way longer than I should.
4. Have another glass of wine.
5. Buy a soy cappucino from Java Jungle (so much better than Starshmucks)
6. Stay in the shower until the water runs cold.
7. Buy toys for my pets.
8. Take a day off work. I work at home, but still... I just don't respond to business related phone calls and emails. Feels wonderful.
9. Take myself out to lunch at a decent restaurant where drinks aren't served in paper cups and I have to leave a tip.
10. Reading for FUN!
Kendra, good news! There's an update on Karin's blog and we both made the cut! If you haven't been obsessively refreshing her blog like I have, I was afraid you didn't know yet. Hee hee. 8^)
I didn't know, Karen. Thanks! Yeah, I've checked it way too many times in the last 24 hours.
Fun post, Kendra! Guilty pleasures, huh? There's plenty of food and drink on my list, too. :-)
1. Champagne. Give me a good bottle of chilled champagne and a flute and I'm a happy camper. My favorite is White Star (Moet et Chandon). The best champagne I've ever had was a bottle of Dom Perignon Vintage 1982. Incredible! Needless to say that was for a special occasion.
2. Sees Chocolates -- milk chocolate only. I must be the only woman on the planet who truly hates dark chocolate. But for milk chocolate, I've never found better than Sees and I've tried them all at one time or another -- Dove, Godiva, Ghiradelli, Lindt.
3. Tech toys. What can I say? I'm a geek -- I lust after gadgets. I can't afford them all, but a girl can dream, can't she? ;-)
4. A New York steak, grilled to perfection, a baked potato, my Dad's salad and a glass of red wine, shared with my husband.
5. Fooling around with Photoshop. Creating a new wallpaper for my computer never fails to cheer me up, but boy is it a time sink.
6. Listening to music. So much of what I do (work, writing) takes the kind of concentration that doesn't allow for listening to music with singing (even instrumentals have become distracting). Lately it seems like a luxury to pop in the earbuds and really listen to favorite tunes on the ipod.
7. Coke. Real, honest-to-god Coca-cola with sugar and everything. I'm with Becky on this one. I also don't drink them more than a few times a year.
8. Snickerdoodles fresh out of the oven with a glass of ice cold milk. Yum.
9. St. Maarten. We've been there three times and I'd love to go back. One of the best days I've ever had was an afternoon on the beach at Philipsburg, sitting in a little beach cafe eating jerk chicken, ordering beer by the bucket and listening to Jimmy Buffett while watching the waves and the other tourists.
10. Watching my husband play with the cats. I swear the man was a cat in a former life. He gets such a kick out of them; it never fails to make me smile.
And congratulations to you, Kendra and to Karen for making the cut yet again!
This is fun!
1. Watching DH play with Tavy when neither know I'm watching
2. Dutch Brothers' Carb-o-rater (blended sugar free mocha with sugar free dark chocolate)
3. Whipped Cream
4. Celebrity Baby Blog, Go Fug Yourself, and other gossip sites
5. Long showers
6. Painted Toenails
7. New underwear
8. Frozen Pizza (Because Gluten Free Frozen Pizza is so freaking expensive, this is a treat)
9. Time with friends without husbands and babies
AND
10. Reading under the covers with a flashlight late at night :)
Oh, and I have to steal Karen's--I really like going out to eat by myself. Preferably with a book or notebook.
I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one who gets great pleasure from food and drink. I could easily add prime rib, lobster, really good cheesecake with a cup of coffee, regular Coke, and white chocolate/cranberry cookies. I was holding back in my post.
I couldn't eat in a restaurant by myself. Unless it's a casual kind of place where people bring their laptops and work. McMenemins type place. With a pint of wheat. And a basket of their fries with ranch dip...
What wonderful lists! However, I've decided there are no "guilty" pleasures. If something brings us joy, no guilt is allowed. Here's a partial list of things I enjoy:
1. A long soak in a bathtub full of bubble bath...
2. With a just-for-fun book.
3. Chocolate.
4. A hot drink of almond milk with cinnamon and vanilla (since I'm not a coffee drinker).
5. Beautiful things--just because.
6. Evenings with my sons and grandkids, playing cards and/or a board game.
7. Travel to interesting and/or exotic places, but being home at night to sleep in my own bed. (Yeah, I'm not sure how to accomplish this one either.)
8. Sleeping on a giant bed surrounded by my doggies.
9. Designing a beautiful graphic on the computer that's not necessarily connected with a project, but just because.
10. Bringing home another doggie from the shelter and watching him/her blossom.
Bonus pleasure: free time to do what I choose!
Post a Comment