Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Where's the Romance?

Current Project:PNWA Entries
Status: Revisions

I know it's a bit late for a year-in-review entry, but I've seen a number of "Best Books of 2008" articles lately, and they all irritate me. There's nary a romance in sight and each entry begins something like, "In this angst ridden tale . . ." "This dark and twisted novel . . ." "In this haunting portrait . . . " "X's life is meaningless and about to get more tragic . . . " Lovely, lovely, lovely. Literary fiction is usually much more . . .depressing than genre fiction, but this year it seems especially bad. Also, as much I support literary fiction, with so much of the book market made up of mystery, romance, and science fiction, shouldn't at least ONE genre book make SOMEONE's list? And yes, you can find lists on the various romance review websites, but I'd really like to see a mainstream publication add a genre novel or two to their year-end lists.

I read around 300 books last year, and about 30-40 of those were literary fiction. However, when I look at my "Keeper Shelf" for 2008, it's ALL Romance. Here's my top 30 Keepers from 2008. Note that not all of the books have 2008 publication dates, as I mainly read used books. (Oh and are you signed up for Good Reads yet? You should!) What books made it on to your keeper shelf in 2008?





Widget_logo






9 comments:

Lisa Pulliam said...

Not many books made it on my keeper shelf in 2008. I like most everything I read, but I'm being "wowed" less and less. Enough that I'm thinking of going to an ebook reader for romance...

I signed up for GoodReads on Facebook but I haven't played with it yet. I'll have to!

Alice Sharpe said...

Wavy, I really admire your reading habits.

As for me, well, I plotted five books last year (two of which sold) and wrote two and a half. I think that's why I read fewer new to me books than I ever have before in my life as I tend not to read challenging material when I'm plotting. There was a book that kept me up half the night but damned if I can recall the author or title. Ack! Shame! Odds are real good it was a mystery with a romance in it as opposed to romantic suspense.

300 books. Good heavens. I am seriously impressed.

Kendra said...

I know I was supposed to count how many books I read for the last quarter of the year, but I gave up. Let's simply say a lot.

What sticks out in my mind (without looking at my bookshelf) is Suzanne Brockman. I'm plowing my way through her backlist. Chasing Darkness by Robert Crais was terrific.

Paty Jager said...

Wow! What a reader, Wavy! I didn't even come close to reading fraction of the books you did. And I actually read more this year than last year. I of course read several nonfiction for research, and I'm looking around- I read Linda Lael Miller's McKettrick's- those were keepers. Though I liked one more than the others. And Alice's books. I read a CP's book which is a keeper, but it isn't pubbed yet. ;)

Once I finish the Golden Heart entries, I'll dive into Eli's book.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Wow is right--300 books in a year is wonderful!

My keeper shelf is populated with books of authors I know, including the wonderful authors in our chapter and the Portland chapter and the other chapters I've joined.

However, much more populous than my "keeper" books for 2008 are those yet to be read, because I don't read much fiction when I'm writing and/or doing promotion.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Wow. 300 books. I'm like...in awe. First of all that you read that many. Secondly that you COUNTED them. (Girlie...that's just a little too organized for me!)

I got a kick out of looking through your "keepers". Everyone has different tastes, don't they? I LOVE almost everything SEP writes, but Natural Born Charmer is one of my least favorites of hers. I liked everything until the end. Didn't enjoy the way the hero acted in the end of the book at all. But give me any other SEP book and I'll generally rave about it. ;) (Match Me If You Can is the very BEST one, btw. LOL)

chanceofbooks said...

See, you all are in awe of my READING habits, which won't get me published, and I'm total awe of your WRITING habits :) Fewer books, more writing.

Kendra--I have now read Suzanne Brockmann's entire backlist, and I loved everything save Scenes of Passion and Body Language. I think her SEAL Intimate Moment categories are among the absolute best category books I have ever read, and among the best books, period.

Eli--Natural Born Charmer is probably one of my top 10 all-time favorite books. I loved Match Me if You Can, and I loved that heroine too, but the heroine's growth in NBC is nothing short of awe-inspiring, and SEP captured that beautifully.

Mich said...

I loved Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione, and I'm looking forward to her upcoming sequels. I enjoyed some Gena Showalter this year, and Nalini Singh. (I'm Michelle, btw, I've been lurking and reading this blog for about a year now :-)

I've also read some other fiction --specifically a YA book "Life As We Knew It" that was quite amazing, and I just finished "Three Cups of Tea" today and it is possibly the best book I've read in a year.

Michelle

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Michelle! So glad you broke your silence and left a comment. :)

I just read a bit about THREE CUPS OF TEA and it sounds enthralling! Thanks for the tip about this book.

(And I loved your picture of the squirrel!)