Saturday, January 03, 2009

SATURDAY CHECK-IN



Current Project:Faith's Book
Status: page 125
Another week. More stuff happening with my mother, none of it good. We're cleaning out her apartment today and tomorrow, then early next week moving her to a new place better suited to her increasing needs. I hope none of you ever have to make these kinds of decisions for the people you love and who depend on you. Annie Rose, our dog, is hanging on, going from adorable to failing in the blink of an eye. Sigh.

Anyway, I got just twenty pages written this week but it's enough to reveal the pacing is way off. At this point, I think I'll just keep writing and do some judicious trimming once the story is down. We've had some great blogs this week on resolutions, digging deeper than the surface, trying to find hidden motivations. Interesting stuff.

Meanwhile, how is everyone doing?

13 comments:

chanceofbooks said...

Oh Alice, I'm so sorry about your mother and your dog. I wish you strength, love, and good humor (and chocolate) as you deal with these continuing challenges.

Unfortunately, I think part of having people who love and depend on IS having to make these hard decisions. I just wish it were easier, or that there was a guidebook or meter for checking to make sure the decisions are "right."

Anyhoo, congrats on continuing to write!

I had a good week, most of it spent in syllabus heck, but I got off my duff and entered the Great Expectations contest. I'm really proud of myself--I saw the date extension, got my entry ready, sent and paid for with NO procrastinating. (Actually, to be fair, I used this to procrastinate from the syllabus :) :) : ):) :))

Paty Jager said...

Alice, I'm sorry you have so much to deal with. It is hard to make decisions when hit comes to loved ones.

I managed to get about half way through the polishing of my WIP. I hope by the end of this next week to start sending out queries.

The two noisest and early morning risers of the grandchildren went home yesterday, so today is pretty peaceful. :)

Karen Duvall said...

Alice, so sorry you're having to go through these emotional crises. Would that moms and dogs could be healthy forever...

This past week was a good writing week. Came up with a new plot complication, which is always fun, especially since it digresses a bit from what's been happening. The connection is there, just different enough to stir things up for the characters. I'm not quite making my 1000 word a day goal, but trying hard.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

(((HUGS))) to you, Alice. Because of the person you are, you will make the best decisions for both your mom and your doggie. How interesting that they are moving through this particular physical aging stage at the same time--almost keeping each other company. Sucks for you, though.

I've been procrastinating on my novella this past week, knowing that the hero's goals and motivation need to be strengthened, which will affect all of the story. Like you, I made the decision last night to just keep moving, then go back and do the fixes.

Wavy, Paty, and Karen--sounds like you are making good progress! Hooray!

Prayers and loving energy continue for you, Alice, and your family.

Anonymous said...

Dang Alice, you're getting slammed and I'm so sorry. I'm going to send positive, good thoughts and feelings your way and hope that they lighten your load. You always have us to support you and love you when it gets overwhelming. (((squeeze)))

I hope you find a great facility for your mom. You're doing your very best for her and you love her all the time and care for her so that's a huge thing and you'll be blessed. I'd love to have you for a daughter if I was your mom. :)

My check in... No writing, yet. Still getting last minute settling in done, but progressing. Having a garage sale in the middle of winter next week. That sucks, but have to dump the crap I don't need. :) Can't wait to get a routine that doesn't involve moving anymore. LOL Looking forward to accomplishing my goals for writing and health this year. Very excited about life!! (For a change. LOL)

Love you Alice! You're awesome!! (((another squeezy hug)))

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Oh, Alice. I'm so sorry you're dealing with so much right now, esp. with the book looming. I think you're smart to just keep plodding along and trim later. I hope the new place is better for your mother and that your dog gets better.

My brother and his wife got a new puppy a few months ago. They live in Montana but drove over here for the week. Two days ago they were at my dad's in Seattle, the puppy was outside with the bigger dogs and had an accident. They had to put her to sleep. My sister-in-law just had knee surgery, so she wasn't watching the puppy super close like she did with their first dog. Needless to say she's not only heartbroken but feeling extremely guilty.

I got no writing done. I did write a bunch of blogs for my blog tour, and I survived a few days away with the kids. My launch party is Wed. so I have some last minute things to finish up there, and another blog to write and send tomorrow (for post on Monday). I also have to take down all the Christmas stuff (we just got home tonight) and get the kids ready for school on Monday.

Wait...did I say that loud enough? MY KIDS GO BACK TO SCHOOL ON MONDAY!!! Hallelujah. There really is a God.

Alice Sharpe said...

Wavy -- LOL, well, at least your writing came first, huh? That's good! Fingers crossed for your entry into the Great Expectation contest. I'm not familiar with this one? Is it about hooks or first pages (the name seems to imply something like that!)

The only meter for making these tough decisions is "hat is best for my loved one?" Unfortunately, that's a gray area. Thanks, and I know you know all about this stuff from experience of your own.

Good luck with the syllabus (I bet it's brilliant.)

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty-- Half polished already? Does this mean your daughter reader didn't find too many difficult areas? Happy dance!

Alice Sharpe said...

Karen, I love it when that happens. I suddenly realized the other day that I had left out a major issue that is pivotal to the book and helps set up the mystery. It was a dumb thing to overlook and makes me wonder how connected I am to what I'm doing! I guess it'll all come out in the wash (I've never used that cliche before...I like it)

Hope you have another great writing week and that the new complication bears ripe, juicy fruit!

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene, keep that positive energy flowing, baby, it's appreciated from each and every one of you. I look forward to the time when I can stop whining about things!

Okay, we'll both just keep writing and then figure out the ungainly mess at the end, right? Ack!

Alice Sharpe said...

Piper, dang it girl, you have squeezy hugged the stuffin' right out of me! Thanks! I love all of you, too.

You know how sometimes you feel you are getting sick, like you feel all achy and your throat scratches and you say to yourself, oh, yikes, I'm going to be dead in the water by afternoon? KNow that feeling? When I get like that. I turn into a whirlwind. I wash dishes and get the laundry issues settled and clean the living room and pick up the house, etc... because I don't want to be sick in a mess. THat's kind of what you're doing by getting settled in before allowing your creative side free rein. I understand completely and hope the day for writing comes very soon.

Alice Sharpe said...

Happy Kids Go Back to School Tomorrow Eve, Eli! Happy dance, tooting hors, shuffle stomp, whump!

I am so sorry about your S-I-L's puppy. Guilt. Gotta love it. I hope she soon remembers that accidents do happen, even to thoughtful, caring people and forgives herself soon. Tough time for her.

Annie Rose won't get better because her real problems are age-centric and we all know that just keeps happening (if we're lucky!) But by putting her in the outside building at night (she's slept inside her entire life, but now she has her own little red heat lamp and two cats to keep her toasty) and being careful about her indoor time, she can stay with us as long as possible.

And yeah, Genene, watching my dog and my mother age together has been absolutely illuminating. We are not all that much different as species!!

Launch day is a coming!

Paty Jager said...

Alice,

My daughter found two spots I need to rework, I just haven't made it them yet. They are in the last third of manuscript. Getting close to one of them though.

Hang in there!con