
Current Project: AGENT DAD
Status: page 145 and counting
It's that time again. I'll go first. Still moving at a snail's pace but this last week some good things happened. 1. I completed the dreaded art forms. Describing scenes as yet unwritten and black moments as yet unexperienced is tricky for me, but at least it's done and out of the way. 2. The senior editor of Intrigue came up with a title which I like and which actually redirected the hero's motivation which turned out to be a good thing. So FAITH'S BOOK is now formally AGENT DAD with an Oct-09 release date. 3. though I haven't forged ahead with pages the way I wanted, I did calm down enough to figure out how many balls I had dropped (they were bouncing all over the place) and get a few of them back in the air. I have a month in which to finish the book. I know it will happen though I don't know exactly how. I can see you shaking your head and you're right. The way to get from the beginning to the end is simply to keep working.
Now it's your turn. Oh, btw, do I remember someone issuing some kind of challenge recently? Something to do with the Nano concept of writing every day? Whoever you are, speak up!!!
10 comments:
Fun title, Alice!
Glad you are moving forward and I know you'll get it done on time. I have faith in you!
I'm fine tuning my ms. Sent out one agent query, knowing they don't reply for 6-8 weeks I felt I had time to get this perfected. As soon as I have it where I'm the most happy, I'll send out more queries. This week I figured out the next book in the series, since I needed the info for the epilogue of this book.
I put out feelers for the info I need to write the next Halsey brother book. And I received word this week that I am a presenter at a conference in March.
You've made great progress--and now the writing will flow! I like the title and congrats on the release date!
Good work on sending our queries, Paty! Sounds like you are making good progress!
"The way to get from the beginning to the end is simply to keep working." Amen to that, Alice. I know it but I haven't done it consistently. This morning it finally feels like that simple principle has finally been assimilated. :)
I like the title, too.
I've lost 4 of the 7 pounds I gained over the holidays. I will finish my revisions this weekend. Then go revise the beginning again.
Paty, good luck on the queries.
Paty, I got the title wrong. It's Agent Daddy.
Anyway, you have had a busy week. Congratulations on your workshop (is it a workshop?) and getting so many loose ends ties up.
Genene, it's amazing how long it takes to get going sometimes. I seems I spend three hours preparing lately for one hour of writing. Grrr....
Kendra, Kudos on loosing the weight you want to loose and with finishing the first revision. Did you make a decision about how you will proceed to query agents?
Excellent work everyone! You are all such fabulous inspirations.
I had some good news at work this week--I'm going to be teaching more upper level writing courses, and I'm to be taking some technology courses to go along with them. I'm excited about this, but of course, this leaves in less time for fiction writing. Sigh. However, I'm trying to make peace that this is just where I am right now, and I truly love teaching.
I think this may be one of my all time favorite Alice posts,as you somehow manage to capture your entire font of wisdom with this,
"I know it will happen though I don't know exactly how. I can see you shaking your head and you're right. The way to get from the beginning to the end is simply to keep working."
I think I want this tattooed somewhere on me. Like perhaps my palm.
Thank you so much for the inspiration.
Wavy -- Man, I'm blushing! Me, an inspiration! Thank you.
Congrats on the good news at work. I'm sorry it will eat into your time to devote to fiction for awhile, but maybe this is where you need to be right now and since you love teaching, it's a win/win, right? The other will come, too, you watch.
I got very little done last week. Kind of hit a wall in a transition scene, so I brainstormed with some writing friends in an online chat yesterday and that helped me break through it. I'm getting closer to the end of the book, but not close enough. I'm eager for my favorite part of writing: revisions!
Sounds like you're moving right along, Alice. Yay! And Paty, good luck on the querying. Sometimes agents reply within a few days, so be forewarned.
Congrats on the additional teaching gig, Wavy! And Kendra, losing weight, even a pound or two, is a big deal. My scale and I aren't even on speaking terms these days.
Felt kind of blue on Friday and yesterday. My agent told me we got a couple more rejections and we're running out of publishers. Sigh. But she said she believes in the book, adores Chalice, and she's determined to find the right editor who shares her enthusiasm. So at least I have a strong ally and powerful advocate for my book.
You know what struck me about your comments, Karen, was the last paragraph:
"Felt kind of blue on Friday and yesterday. My agent told me we got a couple more rejections and we're running out of publishers. Sigh. But she said she believes in the book, adores Chalice, and she's determined to find the right editor who shares her enthusiasm. So at least I have a strong ally and powerful advocate for my book."
I thought of all of us who have tried to sell things without an ally of the professional ilk and been turned down, by agents as well as editors, and here is proof positive that this is a very subjective business. Everyone should take heart -- there just are no absolutes and rejections do not mean you should give up writing. I'll be sending positive vibes toward you and your agent, Karen!!!!!
Kendra, congrats on the revisions and the weight loss. Forward progress--hooray!
Karen, maybe you're just ahead of your time with your books. The cutting edge of something new can be a lonely place. (((HUGS))) and keep writing!
Alice, I'm speaking at the Feb. 3rd Willamette Writer's meeting. Can I quote your line? "The way to get from the beginning to the end is simply to keep working."
It's very timely with my topic.
I finished my minor revision and sent it to my editor. And this weekend I've been fighting with a program that won't load on my laptop. One I NEED Grrrr....I haven't had enough coffee this morning to be nice about it yet.
Post a Comment