Wednesday, January 28, 2009

MY MOTHER AND ME


Current Project:Agent Daddy
Status:page 200
I’ve mentioned my mother and her situation enough over the last two months that I imagine most of you are aware she is having extreme memory issues. It seems that every time I see her, there is less of her, both physically and emotionally. At 92, her past is gone, her future doesn’t exist, she is a woman inhabiting the here and now.

My mother and I are different in many ways. She is more private for instance. She keeps her emotions in check, suffers in silence, withdraws when wounded. She also is not a writer, dreads writing as a matter of fact, and though she expresses herself well she does it in a straight forward manner. I can’t think of a single instance when I have heard her use a metaphor.

Listen to me, talking in the present tense. None of the attributes I just mentioned are valid any more. And yet to use the past tense would shine a light on the very nature of Alzheimer’s or dementia and that is that a person disappears while still drawing breath.

My point is this. Now my mother must search for words when she speaks. I visualize the inside of her head as a refrigerator door where the contents of one of those magnetic word kits are stuck to its surface. She tries to link together the right ones but since the words are usually very specific, it’s hard to build a decent sentence. It’s a painful process and hence a thought that used to take ten words might now take fifty as she tries and discards combinations, hoping they’ll fit together, sensing they don’t. The idea, of course, gets lost in the telling.

But it also results in some interesting sentences that are beautiful in their way, lyrical and metaphorical in a manner she would never have spoken before. For instance, when she first fell and was moved into a nursing home to mend, she was desperate to leave. She would ask me every time I came if she was going home now. One day this is how she asked: Looking right into my eyes, her voice hopeful, she said in a halting, unsure way, “Am I going home with you … or don’t you want my shadow touching your shadow?

I told her shadow was welcome to touch mine anytime she wanted which didn’t elicit the expected smile, just anxiety. Damn disease.

Another time she asked if I would share her lunch. She always asks this and since she can’t recall asking, you must refuse her every minute or so in the tremendously long time it takes her to eat anything. It gets tedious and I worked on finding a way to refuse the food without causing her alarm. One time I said, “This is a hospital, Mom. The food here is for the people who are staying here, not their family members.” Graciously, she responded, “It’s s shame they can’t open their arms to include you.”

There are other instances, but what strikes me is this. Each life is a journey specific to the person making the trek. As my mother loses her way and searches for words to express the ever bizarre thoughts that occupy her head, she is becoming downright poetic. Now as I listen to her telling me about places she’s never seen and walks she’s never taken, I listen to the words she chooses to link together to make her story accessible to an audience.

It’s the grass roots of communication touching the wings of imagination. And in a way, it makes us more alike than ever.

10 comments:

Deborah Wright said...

Oh, Alice, that was just...I fail at words.

You're an amazing woman to be able to find kernels of such beauty in the midst of a difficult situation.

{{Alice}}

Paty Jager said...

Alice, It's wonderful you have the wisdom and the love for your mom to find the beauty in her words and realize the struggle she has in giving you the gift of her thoughts.

Even though your mom may not remember your visit, you can give her your time and your thoughts and know you have done everything you can for her.

I regret every day that I didn't have the maturity when my mom was dying to say the right words. Every day I think of what I should have done or said and wish for the time all over again.

You will never have that regret.

Karen Duvall said...

Wow, Alice, what an amazing essay! It's way too good to waste on a blog, IMO.

This is such a tough time for you and your mom. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, but you do it with such amazing grace. As Deb said, you're remarkable.

Anonymous said...

Alice, the way you understand and view people, loved ones, life, and then the way you express your views and understanding teaches me something new and opens my eyes every time you share.

I love how wise you are and how you express yourself and your wisdom so we can 'sit at your knee' and learn. I hope this makes sense. But truly, this is how I feel when I hear what you have to say.

Thank you for sharing and being so giving. Somewhere inside your dear mother she feels and embraces the love you show her and the respect you give to her. It's in her, Alice.

(((Hugs)))

Alice Sharpe said...

Thank you everyone for your compassion and kind words. I toyed around with different things to write about this a.m., but this is what is on my mind. I didn't mean it to depress anyone -- in a way I think it's a story of evolving abilities.

Paty, I am so sorry you feel the way you do and I would just urge you to be kinder to yourself. You're a mother, you know your mother didn't hold anything against you and that she understood just as you would should the roles be reversed. We all have regrets, it's comes with the territory.

Debbie -- it's the good and bad of being a writer, isn't it, the inability to live life unexamined. I think we all do this all the time.

Karen, LOL. I need a paying audience? Whoopee! Um, where is this audience??? And thank you for your kind words.

Piper, you are so sweet, but goodness. I'm glad you're able to take something from what I write, I know the feeling as I take something from everyone on this blog. We all have such different ways of looking at things and assimilating news and impressions. I always think what a treat it is to have a blog composed of writers. Words is what we do, baby. Thanks for the compliments, I hope you're right, I hope it's all inside her somewhere.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Alice, this is beautiful!

"Now as I listen to her telling me about places she’s never seen and walks she’s never taken, I listen to the words she chooses to link together to make her story accessible to an audience.

"It’s the grass roots of communication touching the wings of imagination. And in a way, it makes us more alike than ever."

You have a myriad of your own emotions to deal with, including loss and grief and overwhelment--yet you still visit your mom and are connecting with her in a way neither of you would have imagined. Perhaps as this disease claims her physical body and her memories of this life, you are seeing the essense of her soul -- the beauty and poetry that has been masked by the lessons she chose to learn earlier in this life.

What incredible courage and kindness and love you possess to be able to do this. Thank you for sharing this journey with your mother, allowing us to learn from you and to see that even out of the most painful experiences can come beauty.

{{{HUGS}}}

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene, thank you so much. That's exactly what I was trying to say! I just got home from visiting her. I told her a couple of stories -- one was that the combined weight of all the ants in the world exceeds the weight of all humans. I drew a picture of the giant ant hills I've seen in pictures and now that I write this down, I think I have confused ants with termites. Oops, I am my mother's daughter! Anyway, I told her to imagine walking in the desert and coming across an area with dozens of these anthills (Okay, termite hills!)

I also told her about Pollyanna, the character who always found a silver lining. As an example, I said if I have a broken leg, then the Pollyanna response would be "At least I didn't break my arm, too." I asked her to imagine the poor sucker on the very bottom of the heap, the guy whose lot was so bad there was no one worse than he. She smiled at this, she was great today.

Within a few minutes, she had started telling me a story about the paths nearby that she walks and the poor people who are lost on the paths, etc... and I thought to myself that she took parts of my stories, the walking from one, the poor sucker from the other and mixed it with yet a third. The third is a resident at the same facility who is always on his way somewhere else. Very restless. Today his wife and daughter and grandchildren visited and after they left, he was a mess. He paced and fussed long after they were gone and I tried to explain this to my mother. Her story also touched on his anxiety.

I love what you said: "Perhaps as this disease claims her physical body and her memories of this life, you are seeing the essense of her soul -- the beauty and poetry that has been masked by the lessons she chose to learn earlier in this life. "

Thank you.

chanceofbooks said...

Alice, Thank you so much for your beautiful words.

I wrote a while back on here about my grandmother's long (well over 10 year) battle with Alzheimers and how one of the saddest things for me was the loss of her ability to read, and then talk, and then communicate at all. It is such a cruel disease in that the person is gone, and often long gone, and yet their body soldiers bravely on.

I'm not sure how my Aunt managed to be my Grandmother's caregiver for the last 5 years of her life, just that like you she managed to find little snippets of beauty.

My grandmother was far younger (60) when she was diagnosed, and I still feel an aching sense of loss--not for her passing but for the time that she lost while still here. You express this sense of loss far more eloquently than I could ever do.

Let me if you ever want to talk about some of things my Aunt did to keep HER sanity. Or just talk period.

Anonymous said...

This has to be terribly painful for you. Bless her.

Thank you for sharing this.

Alice Sharpe said...

Wavy -- Your generous spirit always touches me. Thank you.

And Stephe, thanks to you, too.