Saturday, January 10, 2009

SATURDAY CHECK-IN


Current Project: Faith's Book
Status: page 130

Well, as you can see, I'm not exactly burning up the pages but I am doing as good as I can. I'm taking today off from outside the home duties, so maybe I can get my head screwed on straight and advance. My editor's assistant emailed me last week asking me to submit the art fact sheets for the book I'm writing -- interesting as the proposal has not been technically okayed let alone the book even half written. Ah, publishing. My goal for the weekend is to accomplish the art sheets and add ten pages (maybe 20?) to the manuscript, but the way things are going lately, who knows?

Your turn.

7 comments:

Paty Jager said...

I hope you meet your goals this weekend, Alice.

I made it through to the end of the WIP fixing boo boos and am waiting for information via mail to add some more factual details to the last few chapters, and I need to figure out the next book in the series so I can add the info in the epilogue about her next assignment.

I sent the query to the agent who requested at Nationals and am today working on the YUCK synopsis. I had written one before I started, but lo and behold I'm only on the second page and already the story is going way off the course I had first written, the reason I don't like to write a synopsis before I write the story!

Karen Duvall said...

Synopsis. Ugh. I feel your pain, Paty. I write a really, really vague synopsis before I start a book. Really vague. So it's just a general idea of where I'm going and how I want things to end. Anything more than that would probably be a total waste of time, as you demonstrated.

I accomplished very little last week. Half a chapter. I wrote a scene from a different character's POV than what I've been using, so I'm not sure I'll keep it. Though the character was introduced earlier, I didn't use her POV until more than halfway through the book. Could be jarring to the reader. Not sure. We'll see.

Kendra said...

I'm just thrilled our Internet is back. It went with the last wind storm for some reason.

I survived two birthday slumber parties this week. I had to take one girl home in the middle of the night. Good thing she lives across the street. I edited about 80 pages of an older MS this week.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

(((HUGS))) to you, Alice! With everything going on in your life, it's impressive that you're still moving--forward, backward, up or down, or any way at all.

Paty, are these the final edits to the WIP? You are making such great progress!

Karen and Kendra, at least you made progress last week! Every bit of forward movement is good!

I made progress also with rekeying and edits on a bit over two chapters on my novella. At least I think it was progress. It's been a long time since I drafted this story and, man, some of it is awful! LOL! Good thing I'm in edit mode. :)

Karen Duvall said...

Oh, Genene, I'm so jealous! I love doing revisions. I can't stop myself from editing as I write. Gah!

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty, no way am I going to meet my goals. Have had a stomach flu and am just trying to get a little done. Congrats on getting your project off to the agent. Maybe you should think of a synopsis as a selling tool. No synopsis ever reflects the finished product to a T (I don't think) but it's nice to sell a book before it's actually written and that takes a synopsis. I think of it as the spirit of the book!

Karen -- Slow weeks happen. If you enjoy this character's POV, perhaps you could add a snippet or two of it earlier in the book? Just a thought.

Kendra, Yea! computer back, whew! parties over, congrats on the 80 pages of edits.

Genene, it would be pretty depressing if you had written a half dozen more books and umpteen thousands of words and hadn't grown, right? Good luck on your revisions.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Sounds like everyone is making progress...and that's the name of the game. Not how fast or slow, but that you're moving ahead.

As I missed the check in Sat, I'll just say....ra! ra! ra! to the whole group!