Current Project: A short personal projectStatus: 10,793 words and going strong!
There's a lot happening today. No matter what your political leanings may be, take a moment to consider the historic significance of this day. We're all a part of this moment, just by living in this time.
This is going to be one of those events that become part of my "I remember where I was and what I was doing when..." memories. You know what I'm talking about -- significant happenings that make such an impact on you that they stick with you for the rest of your life.
My personal list includes the Kennedy assassination, the Apollo 11 moon landing, the Kent State Massacre, Nixon's impeachment hearings and subsequent resignation, the 49ers beating the Bengals to win their first Superbowl, the destruction of the Challenger space shuttle, and the Loma Prieta earthquake, to name a few. Now I'll be able to add President Obama's inauguration to that list.
Now consider how different my grandmother's list would have been. She was born in 1888 and died in 1972. She lived through the Roaring Twenties and the Great Depression, two World Wars, Korea and Viet Nam. Her world went from horses and buggies to jet airplanes and men landing on the moon; from being disenfranchised to having the right to vote. All of these things had an impact on who she was, on her character, just as my list influences who I am.
To bring this back to writing, our characters aren't just a collection of random feelings and beliefs. Those feelings and beliefs are shaped in part by the external events they experience. Just something to think about when digging deeper into what makes your characters tick.
Back to the Inauguration for a moment for a brief personal note. For those of you who have a chance to see the Inaugural Parade and who stick it out to the end, bringing up the rear will be the new Lunar Rover with two astronauts aboard dressed in space suits. When the rover reaches the President's box, one of those astronauts will step away from the rover. Carrying an American flag, he'll stride several paces toward the President and halt and salute, ending the parade. That astronaut's name is Rex Walheim (Colonel, USAF) and he's my cousin.
7 comments:
Fun blog, congrats to your cousin. What an honor!
But I have a different opinion on this whole inauguration. They have blown it way out of proportion and if Obama was truly "a man for the people" as he states, he'd have told the government to save their money on all this hoopla and swear me in inside the White house with only a few TV cameras. We do not need any more debt.
I agree what comes during a character's lifetime whether it directly or indirectly affects them it makes them who they are.
That is such an honor for your cousin (and family!), Debbie. We're watching the Inauguration right now. I'll look for him!
I only have one gripe about the whole thing so far. As most of you know, Michelle Obama's older brother, Craig Robinson, is the OSU head basketball coach. As we were watching the procession and seating this morning, the camera panned to him, wearing an orange and black scarf and an orange and black OSU tie. The media (gotta love the media) zoomed in and Tom Brokaw said, "And there's Craig Robinson, flying the Princeton colors."
WTF??????
Dan and I both looked at each other then rolled our eyes. C'mon!!!!!
Debbie -- I, too, looked for your cousin. That is so exciting.
Paty, I have to respectively disagree with you. Yes, this inauguration cost money just like every inauguration before it, but this time, it's a huge deal. This is not only Obama's day but the country's day. My husband and I were in tears at times and I know we weren't alone in feeling a surge of hope for future generations. What price hope? I dearly hope my grand daughter watched this event and that it inspired her.
But perhaps most importantly, passing the presidency in such a peaceful and joyous manner is a powerful force for our relations around the world and the fact it is done, not just this time but always, despite political affiliations, in front of millions of citizens in the bright light of day amid a frenzy of cameras enhances the whole aspect of a government created by the people and for the people.
Eli -- we could not believe that blunderhead!!!! Princeton. Give me a break.
Pulling my head out of the sand for a moment. LOL!
Although I did know Obama was elected **grin** and what day the inauguration was scheduled, I didn't know when the hoopla started. Congrats to your cousin, Debbie! That is an honor.
And, Eli, I didn't know of the OSU connection to the White House, but I would have made that assumption before thinking Princeton. LOL! Someone didn't do their research!
Debbie, good points about what happens in history affecting who a character is. You and Paty with her blog yesterday have given me great reminders of what to remember when I go back to fleshing out my nine-book series. Which has gotta be soon! I'm starting to feel seriously antsy to get back to working on that.
Geez, Debbie, this is like the longest parade in history!!!! I finally put it on DVR and will fast forward to the end later tonight to see the cousin of a friend present a flag. Too cool.
Wow, Debbie, how wonderful to have your cousin be part of such a historical day.
I've been watching the inauguration off and on all day, between errands and puppy tending duties. I was tearful at times, Alice. The fact that this day came the day after MLK's birthday is very fitting. I watched a recording of the televised interview done with Martin Luther King a year after the Rosa Parks' bus debacle in 1957. It was amazing. Set the tone for today. I was feeling the love, baby!
Back to work...
Great Post Debbie! I saw your cousin! And I didn't even know he was your cousin at the time, and I still thought it was really, really cool!
I have watched every inauguration since Regan's second one, because my mother thought it really important for us. Looking back through history (CNN has a thing where you can see speeches as far back as Roosevelt), the inauguration is an important symbol to people--even during times of crisis, of depression, of war, and after hard, bitter elections. 2 million people or so made the trek to DC to stand outside in 10 degree weather--not to attend a lavish a ball and not even to see Aretha sing the national anthem. They came to be a witness to history. And in doing so, they've poured a lot of money into DC's economy. My understanding is that most of the inauguration is covered by big donors--the balls and that sort of thing--the committee does it's own fund raising. I started crying when I saw him get out of the car on his way into the ceremony b/c it was such an amazing moment--having seen other inaugurations, I knew the pop and circumstance that was coming, and I was just giddy.
Post a Comment