Saturday, January 31, 2009

SATURDAY CHECK-IN


Current Project: DADDY AGENT
Status: page 213

Here we go again, time to participate in the Saturday Check-in. As noted above I'm still at it. Two weeks to go, about sixty pages, but happy days, they're the last sixty pages (I'll skip mentioning the whole rewrite phase but the truth is there are some giant potholes to fill, sigh). Momentum should set in soon. Any time now. Yesterday would have been nice. On the other hand, perhaps I should take a note from the tortoise and appreciate slow and steady.

I'm anxious to hear how you are all doing!

12 comments:

Kendra said...

Alice, I love that you are so dependable! I'm working on some queries and waiting to hear back on a crit.

I've been getting in touch with friends from high school through facebook. Lots of fun! Next week I'm having coffee with a friend I haven't seen since college.

Kendra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Duvall said...

Steasily moving along, Alice! That's great. You have 60 pages left? So the book is under 300? So you're almost home. Awesome! I love that feeling of being in the final stretch.

I'm on page 322 and 75% done, though who knows exactly how many pages it will end up being? I have 6 more major scenes left to write, and some will be longer than others.

I entered the 50 word hook contest over at Casablanca Authors blog, sponsored by Sourcebooks. It was fun and very challenging to write one for Knight's Curse. There are some wonderful-sounding entries! You should go over read some of the hooks. There are 121 posts in comments, but probably 15 are deleted comments and non-hook remarks. Anyway, it was a fun experience.

Alice Sharpe said...

I guess everyone is out in the sunshine!

Kendra, LOL, dependable. Yep, that's me. What exactly do you mean by that? Good luck on the queries. Is it for the book you put in the Tabke contest?

Karen, yeah the book will be way under 300 pages, around 275. They asked for it to be shorter. I thought, sure, why not, and now of course I'm wondering how I'll get it all in. But I will. Sounds as though you're doing well and have some fun scenes ahead to write.

Paty Jager said...

Congrats on your 'almost there', Alice.

Karen, You're keeping a solid drive to the end too!

I sent off 9 e-queries to agents on Friday. One rejection so far. Started the research on the next book and wrote page one of Doctor in Petticoats.

DH hauled me off to Princeton yesterday and we arrived home in time to feed the cows before dark tonight.

Paty Jager said...

Kendra, I missed your comment! Sounds like you've had a connecting week.

Kendra said...

Alice, I look for the saturday check-in and there you are keeping me accountable.

Karen, I read some of those hooks. That is a fun contest. Good luck!

Paty, I've got my fingers crossed for your queries.

Deborah Wright said...

Alice, I don't always comment, but I really look forward to your Saturday check-ins. Like Kendra, I feel like they keep me accountable, even if it's only to myself!

As for me, I'm at 15,500+ words on my little personal project (just for fun!). The best parts of what I'm working on are: 1) I've started a habit of getting up at between 5am-5:30am and writing until I start work at 8am, and 2) suddenly generating ideas that I'm excited about.

The habit part is really the most important. I'm finding that I'm a morning person when it comes to writing (who knew?) and that it's actually easy to change my late night habits when I'm motivated.

Alice Sharpe said...

Debbie -- You are a shining example of motivation can reshape habits! Bravo!

Good going on your "little personal" project. And btw, the Saturday check-ins work for me, as well. I crave seeing the number of pages grow.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Alice! Congratulations on being almost there!

Kendra and Karen, sounds like you are both doing good things!

Wow, Paty! Good luck on the queries! You are making wonderful progress!

I've settled into promotion and am getting other projects done while my novella waits patiently--or perhaps not so patiently--for my attention. :)

Anonymous said...

Dang it! I still don't have my sign-in straightened out. I'll go try something else.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Way to go, Alice! I know you'll come in under the wire.

I managed to get my line edits turned in on time and my editor loved them. Now I wait for copy edits (and for Bethany to tell me if I screwed up any legal stuff. LOL)