Current Project: Mystic TaxiStatus: Page 302
I haven't blogged about craft stuff for a while, so I thought I'd talk about beginnings today. Beginnings have become all the rage lately among writing-related blogs and forums. It's like if you don't nail down that first page, or perfect the hook that invites someone to read your first page, you're SOL.
There are a lot of ways to start a novel, not all of them good. We're familiar with those throat-clearing starts, the one where the writer is warming up to the story and needs to get all that preliminary set-up crap out of the way, like weather and the character waking up and what a tough childhood he had. Yawn. So we'll leave those as given no-nos and go on to some other first page killers.
I don't think readers can always identify what turns them off when they read the first page of a novel, but a lot of the reasons agents give for passing on a project would probably apply. Here are a few to consider:
- Opens with rhetorical question(s).
- The first line is about setting, not about story.
- Not enough happens on the first page.
- The opening contains clichéd phrases and/or situations (i.e. a character shakes his head to clear the cobwebs, character runs away from an unknown assailant, etc. )
- The main character responds to an unnamed thing (e.g., something dead in a bathtub, something horrible in a closet, someone on the other side of her peephole…) for more than a paragraph without naming it, creating false suspense.
- The characters talk about something (a photo, a person, the kitchen table) for more than a line without describing it, creating false suspense.
- The unnamed protagonist cliché: The woman ran through the forest... The man hid the knife in his pocket... yadda, yadda.
- Fake suspense created by some relevant fact that's kept from the reader for longer than a paragraph.
- The character spots him/herself in a mirror, in order to provide an excuse for a physical description.
- The first page is straight narration that doesn't involve the character doing anything.
- Too much physical descriptions in the opening paragraph, rather than action or conflict.
- When the first lines are dialogue, the speaker is not identified.
- The book opens with a flashback, rather than what's going on now.
- Descriptive asides pull the reader out of the conflict of the scene.
- No conflict.
- Too much repetition.
- Too many generalities.
- Stakes are not high enough.
- Story is written in the second person.
- The narrator speaks directly to the reader (“I should warn you…”), making the story hyper-aware of itself and thereby tossing the reader out of the story.
- When characters tell one another things they already know.
- The tag lines are more revealing than the dialogue. ( “She squawked.” "He growled.")
- The writing switches tenses for no apparent reason.
- The action is told out of chronological order.
- Took too many words to reveal what happened.
- Dull and/or awkward writing style.
- The writing falls back on common shorthand descriptions: “She did not trust herself to speak,” “She didn’t want to look…”
- Too many analogies/metaphors/similes per paragraph.
- Purple prose and overwriting
- Melodramatic opening
- Makes the reader laugh at it, not with it.
- Too much unnecessary explanation.
- Unmotivated characters.
8 comments:
Karen -- Fun blog! Where the heck is everyone?
Of course I looked back at my first paragraph. It must be rewritten. Again. I broke every rule. Well, maybe not every rule...
I'm a sucker for anyone running away from anything, so that probably wouldn't bother me as a reader. I think you have to keep in mind there's a world of difference with accepting this kind of start when you read maybe fifty books a year (unless you're Wavy) and being an agent/editor reading fifty proposals a day. The percentages go up accordingly. They must have seen everything -- twice. A hundred thousand times!
Most of the others I wholeheartedly agree with. If I wasn't such a chicken, I'd trot my first paragraph out and do my rewriting right here in public, but cluck, cluck! Trust that I will do it in private.
The beginning that will shoo me away is a drawn out setting with much lyrical language. I get bored very quickly. That fits the straight narration profile and is something I would never do. Conflict is always good. "Mary stepped in the puddle," vs "Knowing how much it would irritate her mother, Mary stepped in a puddle," or "Mary saw the puddle up ahead. Her father's dire warnings thundered in her head as she made straight for it." Wow, who knew playing with Mary and her puddles could be such fun!!!!
Great progress on your book, by the way. Love that title. You have a knack for them.
Thanks, Alice! I'm feeling so unloved today. Everyone must be busy and I can certainly relate to that.
Oh, I've done many of the things on this list over and over again myself, but I think I'm getting the hang of it.
I'm not making near the progress I'd hoped to have made on the WIP by now, but such is life. I write "by the seat of my pants" as they say, and this book kind of bit me in the seat this time. The plot is a lot more complex than I'd first intended because I have more characters than I've ever had. Just today I did what I usually don't do and plotted ahead to the end since I'm 3/4 of the way there anyway. It helped. I feel better.
I was at work!
Impressive list, Karen. I had come up with one, but I found it half way down your list. I can imagine a beginning writer staring at the list and wondering "So what can I write?"
I'll admit to using a few of these in the early days. I don't think I did it one page one, though. Maybe page two.
Kendra, I'm with you. I used to do a number of these on more than page one. It's a learning process. And yes, it would be daunting to many beginners, but the best way to learn is to commit a few offenses and be called on them.
I'm here too, Karen! Thought I'd checked the blog about mid-day, but guess I didn't. That means I probably don't want to delve into where I've been. LOL!
The list of no-no's at the beginning is intimidating! I'm not sure I'd have had the audacity to start a story if I'd seen that list when I was just beginning to write seriously. So I don't even want to try to add to this list. :)
Did anything make me go back and look at my first paragraph? Naw. I usually start in the middle of the action. So, if anything, my beginnings could seem too melodramatic if I don't keep the action intense. However, I usually rewrite the beginnings of my story several dozen times, so I don't worry too much about it at first. I just get something down.
No particular pet peeves about beginnings. Although I have learned to read the first couple pages to get a feel for an unknown author's style, as sometimes the opening is intriguing but the rest of the book fizzles.
By the way, welcome to the world of plotting--even if it is only the last part of the book. It always starts out innocently enough and before you know it, you have your wall covered with detailed plotting charts in color-coded highlighters. :)
My pet peeve o'meter flares with the tenses.
Great list! I'll have to think about what's missing (if anything).
Sheesh Karen, what did you do read all the beginnings of my books? LOL
I agree looking at this list would make a beginner run for cover. I think every writer at one time in their writing has used one of these as a beginning.
I use and have used dialogue. And I think it can be effective if done right. This is just like every so called rule in writing. You can break the rule if you know why you're doing it.
Thank you for this great list, Karen!
Post a Comment