Status: Page 357
If any of you have ever worked in an office, or at least had co-workers sharing space, you know what it's like. You're never alone, there's always someone to talk to, you overhear gossip, you sometimes slip out for lunch together. Your work mates are your community. Well, I miss that.
So to make up for the lack of chumming around with work buddies, I play with my online writing pals online. And you know what? It's better than meeting in-person. There's more of us, that's for sure. Like an entire building's worth. Depending on the kind of virtual water cooler situation you're into, you can even "listen in" on conversations (lurk) as well as have private discussions (PM).
I don't know what I'd do without my online writing communities. I participate in a few, and some can be addictive. The one that sucks me in the most is the Absolute Write Water Cooler Forums. There are 30,000 members, each have varying interests, and you can chat about anything from how to train your puppy to asking for a critique of your query letter. There are even discussions about cooking, politics, screen writing, and every genre of fiction, short and long. It's an awesome place to have stimulating discussions and make long-lasting friendships.
I do have to force myself to stay away sometimes. The urge to communicate with other humans can be compelling. I can talk to my cats and my puppy all day long, but their only way to talk back is meows and barks. I need feedback, support and encouragement now and then. Online gatherings are almost as good as getting together face to face. Only I don't have to change out of my sweats or put make up on. That's awesome!
Besides this blog and the RWA loops, how else do you converse with other writers? If you don't work during the day, do you ever feel the need for adult human companionship?
7 comments:
I IM with my CP three times a week. But I can go for long periods of time without communicating with anyone. I don't like to talk on the phone, get irritated when I'm in the middle of something and a person shows up at my door.
Yes, I could be a recluse very easily and will be this summer. I'll be in Princeton for 10 days irrigating then home for 10 days and then back out there all summer. It will be me, Tink, and my horse. We're working on getting internet set up there so I can continue my editing and be connected with the DH since cellphones don't work there.
Even when I worked in an office I did my work and went home. I didn't hang out visiting. I didn't hang out or group up in school either.
KAREN -- this is interesting, esp. when thought about in conjunction with Wavy's blog yesterday about visiting blogs. It's kind of the same thing.
I guess I have to admit I'm pretty much a loner. Not as much as Paty, perhaps, but I don't generally need a lot of interaction, esp.since my dh retired and he's usually around to talk to when needed. When he's gone or I have spare time, I impose on neighbors and friends and family and I IM almost every day with a very good writing friend and make weekly calls to another. So, no I am not an island, but I am also not much of a chatterer!
The wonderful thing is you are able to get the support and interaction you need within the boundaries of your current situation . It's a comfort to me to know if the time arises where I want more, it's there.
Viva la difference!
LOL, Karen! I could also become a hermit very easily. In fact, I think I am.
As Alice said, this is a very interesting topic. I can spend large chunks of time at home--I'm never really alone because of my doggies and the voices in my head and my son is staying with me while we work on house projects. And my other son and grandkids are in and out.
I've also been very fortunate in that I am still connected with people I used to work with. I do contract work for some of them. I help other friends with their dog walking business. I go to lunch with a former boss and with former co-workers. I chat with the neighbors--mostly in warmer weather when we're outside more often than just dashing to and from our vehicles. And even though I claim to be an introvert, I'm also the person in the waiting line at the store or restaurant who will start a conversation with someone nearby.
Sheesh--maybe I'm neither introvert or extrovert, but schizophrenic. LOL!
Fun post, Karen. And I think, after reading Paty's, Alice's, and Genene's replies, that we're all very much alike in a lot of ways and that's why we "hang out" together here.
I love being able to stay home and chat with my friends through email and sometimes, rarely, IM. I don't need a lot of people or friends hanging out with me at my house or whatever. I prefer to be alone, and yet I'm exactly like Genene when it comes to being in store or whatever. I always strike up a conversation with people. It's weird, cause I'm more comfortable talking to them than I am my close friends or my family sometimes. What a freak! LOL
Tonight I was at our local grocery and I stood there talking to a guy for 15 minutes about crap they put in our foods and stuff. It was fun and he was really nice. He lives around here in my area and so we talked about how it's changing and stuff. And then I went down a few more isles and ended up in the book section and saw Eli's book and there was a woman standing there perusing the books, so I asked her what sort of books she likes and pulled Eli's off the shelf and told her all about it and recommended that she buy it. LOL
Okay, got off track. Sorry. ;)
I don't belong to any RWA loops. I use this blog, and our members blogs to keep in touch. I never feel the need for adult companionship because my DH works from home and that drives me bananas! LOL I WISH I had more alone time.
Paty, you really will be a recluse this summer. I don't feel so alone if I have internet access, but take that away and I get kind of neurotic.
Alice, I don't visit many blogs. Is it the same thing? I had someone comment on my blog yesterday that blog visits are her weakness.
Genene, you appear to be a very social person! That's great. I used to get out more when I did sales and belonged to the local chamber, but I'm home most of the time now.
Piper, I know what you mean about striking up conversations with strangers. I do it all the time, and it's often as if we've known each other for years. Odd, but kind of fun. I like people for the most part. Gotta meet a variety of them to get a realistic viewpoint for my characters.
Okay, the puppy just chewed a stick into tiny pieces and left them all over my office. Sigh. Now she's whining because she knows it's walk time. But today I'm surprising her with a nature hike along the river. Gotta go!
I'm a facebook junkie. I've been on it for a month or so and I can't get off. I've met a ton of writers. Most superficially, but I can think of four who I'd give a big hug if we ever meet in person.
It's been fantastic for keeping in touch with high school pals. I live in the same town I went to high school in, but rarely see anyone. Tonight there is a mini reunion put together by us facebook groupies. Word of mouth travels fast.
Kendra, I never did the facebook thing, but it sounds like you're getting a lot out of it. How fun to reconnect with old friends! I still have a few I'm in touch with, and for us it's been over 30 years!
Post a Comment