
Current Project: none
Status: out of work
Well, this is odd. I wrote this blog and posted it and I don't know where it went.
Anyway, hopefully this one makes it to the right place. My book is gone. Heard from my editor; the book arrived in NY on Friday. This leaves me free to plot and plan my option book and a second book as well. I've been feeling poorly since the book left, however, so have done very little but lay around and do nothing. It's so weird not to have a deadline hanging over my head.
How are you doing?
My apologies if this blog (or something much like it) shows up twice.
8 comments:
I hope you feel better, Alice. How nice to have the book out of the way! If I've been under stress or preparing for an event, sometimes my body insists on a period "doing nothing" once the stress is over.
I went to Murder by the Book in Portland today to see my online buddy Leighton Gage. We worked together on that thriller contest in Dec. but had never met in person. He's on a book tour. What a nice guy! Anybody using Brazil as a setting in a book? He's your go-to man.
I'm putting together an outline and research for a new project. Hope to get some serious wordage done at the beach next weekend. Got a request for a full, so that made my day yesterday.
Kendra --I've wondered if my crash was just my body saying give me a break.
So glad to hear you're putting together another proposal. A request for a full is a great motivator!
Oh, and congrats on staying the contest.
Haven't added anything to the WIP today, but I'm reading through the last chapter to get my momentum going again. I'm so close. It would be great if I could wrap up the draft before next weekend, but I seriously doubt that's gonna happen.
Sorry you're feeling poorly, Alice, but congrats on getting the book out.
Kendra, that's great news about the full request! Congratulations! And congrats on staying in the 1st line contest, too. Good things are happening for you, girlie. 8^)
It's so good to have my laptop back and in working order. Sigh. I can't wait to see you all next weekend!
I can't wait for next weekend, too. No "Mom. Mom! MOM!" for several days.
Hey, Alice! Sorry you're not feeling well. Gotta agree with everyone else that it sounds like your body insisting on a little time for pampering.
Your status of "out of work" struck me this morning. I've previously confessed that I don't free fall into the unknown very well. Yeah, control freak tendencies. I want to know what's next on the schedule and where the money is coming from. But that runs counter to a writer's life many times, doesn't it? We work from contract to contract, and wonder if someone will still like our work enough to pay for it. Yet that also allows us to work in our pajamas all day (or all night) if we want to, go to the beach and play if we want to, etc., etc. Hmm...I want to think on that a bit more. I think there are some good life lessons in that. :)
Kendra, CONGRATULATIONS on the request for a full manuscript! How exciting about the new project and getting to meet Leighton Gage in person. Good things are bubbling!
Wow, Karen! So close on having that draft done! And very cool about getting your lap top back for the weekend at the beach.
I haven't done much writing-related "stuff" this past week, but have made great strides in other areas of my life and am getting a lot of things caught up. Hooray! This coming week will be a busy one, with "appearances" on several blogs, updating my Web site, and getting ready for the launch of my third book, STARS IN YOUR EYES, on Friday, February 27. Lots to look forward to!
Feel better Alice!
YAY KENDRA!!!! And you just keeping on rocking in the Tabke contest!
My goals right now have been centering around contests--they are small manageable chunks that keep me feeling like I am still on "the path." I entered the Sandy this week (Thanks Karen for the heads up!), and I'm trying to decide which contest(s) to make my march goal.
I saw the incomparable Donna McMaster yesterday. She misses all of us terribly, and is hopeful that she may be able to come back as she gets more help with her father in the coming months. She enabled my purchase of around 30 new books. At .50 cent a book, it was so much fun!
And finally, I am having much good news on the teaching front. I will developing a new writing class for the college, and I'm very excited about that. My work as a online tutor has been very rewarding too--it is awesome to see feedback that I helped make someone into a better writer.
Good luck and good week to all!
Karen -- That's great news about how far along you are on Mystic Taxi and about your laptop. Mine needs some work, too, that I am putting off (which I know I will regret, sigh) It's like saying goodbye to your right arm for a few days so I drag my feet.
Genene, yep, we're all contract workers. We get the job, do the job, and look for another. Every single time I am out of work I am afraid I will never sell another book. Every single time. Good luck on your promotion!
Wavy, thanks for relating that you saw Donna. I feel for her. As difficult as these times are with my mother, I am not on deck 24/7 and I do have a terrific support system with my dh and children and it's still tears my heart out.
Meanwhile, girlie, look at you go! Congrats on originating a new writing class. I'm interested to hear you do on line tutoring, too.
Get Well Alice! And congrats on another book out the door!
Kendra- good things all around for you! Still in the contest, meeting an online friend, and a full requested. Congrats!
Karen, Good luck on the rush to the end of the WIP.
Genene, the way you dive into the promotion of your books makes me tired! LOL Godo luck on all the promoing!
Wavy, Congrats on the contest entries, the new class and the online class. I think you are in your element helping others. I visited with Lori this week and she was asking about you and voicing what a sweet, giving person you are.
As for my week. I didn't more research than writing. Tuesday, since the pass was nasty, I visited with a boot maker and learned how boots were made in 1880 for the Christmas Novella I'm writing and on Thursday when the pass was clear, I went to the Blind school and dug up some good stuff to use in the WIP. This week I plan to implement what I learned and get some pages cranked out.
Post a Comment