Saturday, February 28, 2009

SATURDAY CHECK-IN


Current Project: thinking
Status: wishing I was more clever

It's that time again.

I'll go first. As noted above, I'm plotting in my head. Two ideas appeal to me than the others, so I'm mulling them over, trying to fill in the gaps before I start writing. Your turn.

7 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Hi Alice! Ooooo, the stewing and brewing part of writing is the best!

I'm on page 57 of the WIP and gathering more info every day for the Anthology novella as well as the author I'm doing another book with sent me the prologue to get those ideas stewing as well.

I was the speaker at the local writers meeting on Thursday. 30 people showed up! I talked about promotion and thought I barely hit the tip of it and they all thought I inundated them with info! LOL But the good news is the more I do these, the more relaxed I get. Had several tell me afterward how they enjoyed my delivery and information. That made me feel good.

Now to get geared up for the workshop I'm giving in Spokane in two weeks.

Kendra said...

We're bummed you couldn't make it, Alice. The view is fantastic.

Stewing and brewing. I like that, Paty. That's exactly what I'm doing. I'd thought I'd be ready to write this weekend but too many issues are unsettled with my characters. Lisa's M&Ms and lots of coffee are helping me think.

Great turnout for your meeting, Paty! That must have felt great.

Karen Duvall said...

Alice! We miss you! I was so disappointed you couldn't come, but I understand. Timing is everything.

This has been a productive weekend for me so far. I'm closing in on the end, but I've been saying that for weeks now. LOL! But I really mean it this time. The rest of the book runs through my head like a movie and now it's just getting it down typed out. I'm on page 381, and counting.

Just finished lunch. Lisa made a yummy salad. Very tasty. Now I'm stuffed and I'd rather go take a nap, but I won't.

Miss you as well, Paty! I'm so glad your talk for COWG went well.

Back to work...

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty, congrats on your talk! It's great you're feeling more confident all the time. And I like the stewing and brewing line, too.

Kendra, I wouldn't go so far as to say writing when your characters are unsettled is a waste of time, but for me, at least, it really often just an exercise in frustration. Thank goodness for Lisa and her M&Ms.

Karen -- Timing is everything, you're right. 381 pages! I am seriously impressed. I love it when the ending rolls out like a film before you. With this last book, that actually worked against me for a few days as I felt like I'd finished the book already. To get over it, I changed things around a little bit to force a new start to the end. Not that you need this advice!

I miss you all, too.

Barbara said...

Hi Alice! I don't know if you'll get this since it's late Sunday evening, but I wanted to check in anyway. I'm up to 13,000 words on my new WIP (started in early Feb.).

On Day 1 of writing I had three ideas and wasn't sure which one I wanted most to write about. So I opened 3 documents, one for each idea and wrote a bit on each one. On Day 2 I wrote a little more in each one, but wrote the most in one of the three. By Day 3 I went directly to the one I'd written most in on Day 2, and I've been adding to that document ever since.

Perhaps some day I'll go back to the other two documents, perhaps not.

I hope all of you who went to the coast had a great time and got a lot written!

Alice Sharpe said...

Barbara -- Good job on the 13,000 words, how exciting is that! It sounds like your pan to work on all three until one grabbed you and took off worked perfectly. And it's never to late to check in.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Finally checking in because I actually have something to check in with. I officially got back to edits of CHASING RAINBOWS (my novella) yesterday. I made some notes, printed out a copy of what I had keyed in so far, then made lots more notes because the Goals, Motivation, and Conflict that had been eluding me finally came into focus. Hooray!

This baby should be trimmed, edited and ready for my critique partners by the end of this month! FINALLY!