Posted by: Genene ValleauCurrent Project: Promoting STARS IN YOUR EYES
Status: Celebrating the release of STARS on February 27!
Do you remember the first time you had sex? Was it an orgasmic delight? A comedy of fumbles? An experience that left you wondering is that all there is?
What about your first novel? Does it hold a special place in your heart? Are you still working on it? Did it get published? Is it hidden under the bed, on a dark shelf, in a drawer--or did it get burned?
As with making love, a lot of attention and articles have focused on the first time or debut novels. How you prepare for The Call. What to watch out for in the contract. What to expect from your editor, your publisher, the art and marketing departments. What advances, royalties, print runs and distribution will be, etc., etc.
Not so much has been written about second novels and most of that focuses on actually selling a second book and not disappearing into the slush pile--or worse--after just one sale.
My questions aren't just for authors who have already seen multiple books published, but for those pursuing a career as a writer who want to see more than one or two of their stories published. What about third books? Or twelfth books? Or book thirty-four? Are those books different than the first one or two?
I've already mentioned on our chapter blog and loop that one of the reviews on my third novel wasn't so great and that I started second-guessing my writing. I've also struggled to generate the same excitement for its release that I felt for my first release and even my second one. Is it third book syndrome (if there is such a thing!)? Are the release dates so close together that I was still working on promotion for the previous book and here it is time for another release?
Or are those simply excuses like "not tonight, I have a headache"?
Though I came slowly to the realization, the "whys" didn't matter as much as what was I going to do to build enthusiasm for this release. Fortunately, I was already scheduled to blog in several different places this week, so I can promote my current release on those blogs--like this one! In addition, my contest is running and I can pump more prizes and exposure into that. I can also use the release of this book to remind readers of the previous two books that have some of the same characters, as well as launch promotion for the three connected books as a set. Yeah, yeah--just when you thought it was safe to go on the Internet again!
Going through this process reminded me of what I love about this story. The characters in STARS IN YOUR EYES are different than other heroes and heroines I've written about. They are older--nearing forty. They are more flawed than my previous main characters and struggle with those flaws more. However, they also possess a sense of loyalty and love for each other that means they will allow the other person to walk away if that is truly what is best. This story is also more light-hearted than my previous stories. There's still a killer on the loose, with shots fired and an action-packed dark moment. However, there are many humorous scenes too.
So how do you recapture that "first time" excitement--of making love or enthusiasm for your stories? Or do you? Is it better not to try to capture that "first time" experience, but to treasure the unique joy of each time, of each release?
P.S. If you want to enter my contest, visit my Web site at www.genenevalleau.com by midnight tonight (February 26). I've included something for each day of the countdown from 10, 9, 8...until release day on Friday, February 27!

Status: Celebrating the release of STARS on February 27!
Do you remember the first time you had sex? Was it an orgasmic delight? A comedy of fumbles? An experience that left you wondering is that all there is?
What about your first novel? Does it hold a special place in your heart? Are you still working on it? Did it get published? Is it hidden under the bed, on a dark shelf, in a drawer--or did it get burned?
As with making love, a lot of attention and articles have focused on the first time or debut novels. How you prepare for The Call. What to watch out for in the contract. What to expect from your editor, your publisher, the art and marketing departments. What advances, royalties, print runs and distribution will be, etc., etc.
Not so much has been written about second novels and most of that focuses on actually selling a second book and not disappearing into the slush pile--or worse--after just one sale.
My questions aren't just for authors who have already seen multiple books published, but for those pursuing a career as a writer who want to see more than one or two of their stories published. What about third books? Or twelfth books? Or book thirty-four? Are those books different than the first one or two?
I've already mentioned on our chapter blog and loop that one of the reviews on my third novel wasn't so great and that I started second-guessing my writing. I've also struggled to generate the same excitement for its release that I felt for my first release and even my second one. Is it third book syndrome (if there is such a thing!)? Are the release dates so close together that I was still working on promotion for the previous book and here it is time for another release?
Or are those simply excuses like "not tonight, I have a headache"?
Though I came slowly to the realization, the "whys" didn't matter as much as what was I going to do to build enthusiasm for this release. Fortunately, I was already scheduled to blog in several different places this week, so I can promote my current release on those blogs--like this one! In addition, my contest is running and I can pump more prizes and exposure into that. I can also use the release of this book to remind readers of the previous two books that have some of the same characters, as well as launch promotion for the three connected books as a set. Yeah, yeah--just when you thought it was safe to go on the Internet again!
Going through this process reminded me of what I love about this story. The characters in STARS IN YOUR EYES are different than other heroes and heroines I've written about. They are older--nearing forty. They are more flawed than my previous main characters and struggle with those flaws more. However, they also possess a sense of loyalty and love for each other that means they will allow the other person to walk away if that is truly what is best. This story is also more light-hearted than my previous stories. There's still a killer on the loose, with shots fired and an action-packed dark moment. However, there are many humorous scenes too.
So how do you recapture that "first time" excitement--of making love or enthusiasm for your stories? Or do you? Is it better not to try to capture that "first time" experience, but to treasure the unique joy of each time, of each release?
P.S. If you want to enter my contest, visit my Web site at www.genenevalleau.com by midnight tonight (February 26). I've included something for each day of the countdown from 10, 9, 8...until release day on Friday, February 27!

10 comments:
Wow! Did you grab my attention! LOL
I have the third book I wrote that will definitely never see the light of day. The love scene finaled in a contest but it was written before I knew anything about GMC and the hero is just there for the heroine to dance around and tell the story. LOL
I'm thinking I would like to resurrect the two mysteries I wrote. I really like the heroine and again these were written before the above mentioned romance.
I'm working on my 14th book and because of the characters and the story line it 'feels' like the first time. Do I have enough GMC, are they flawed but not too much, is this connection believable? But I also know my writing has grown and I'm more proficient as a writer. So while it feels like the first time, I'm more confident and can take a few more risks and enjoy the changes without stressing whether I'm doing it right or not.
Every book with new characters and new premise is a first time, but like you the promotion for each book becomes to feel more tedious and a time suck even though I know I have to do it. While I'm excited to introduce my characters to readers, I'm angry that it also pulls me away from my latest work.
Fun and interesting blog!
I would imagine the first time anyone has sex it's may be awkward, difficult, painful... lots of different emotions and feelings; and I feel that's the same way with my trying to get this first novel written.
It's like making out a lot before actually "doing it" is fun and exciting and makes you feel so good, but it's very scary to actually DO IT ALL THE WAY; well, for me anyway. This is how my writing is going. I'm scared to "do it all the way" because I've never done it yet. But I KNOW in my heart and mind that once I DO IT I'll love it, just like sex; and it will get easier and more and more fun and exciting, and I'll look forward to it and find much more pleasure in it as I mature and experience it again and again.
Okay, it's just so weird that we can compare sex and writing and really have it make sense. Well, it makes sense to me. LOL
And thanks Genene for blogging about this because I'd really never looked at it this way before. It's really given me a good smack today. Great job! I'm very excited to have this new perspective.
THANK YOU, GENENE!!! I opened my prize package from your contest a few minutes ago and am very excited. Wow! I love all the goodies. After the UPS man left, I ripped open the box, saw the bag of Hershey kisses, immediately popped into my mouth, and then proceeded to look at the other items.
The manicure set is so cute. It will be perfect next to my computer. My DH and I are always looking for the clippers, etc. which seem to walk off and are later found on the coffee table or in my son's bedroom. This one doesn't move!
The guitar key ring clock is adorable. Now I have no excuse for being late, not to mention I love classic rock. Our whole family loves astronomy (and sci-fi), so we all like the book.
I am not going to enter your contest that closes later today because I already feel so lucky and blessed. Congratulations on your release tomorrow. I'll be ordering Stars tomorrow to add to the other two.
Thanks again. You've really made my week! Especially after having had a little car accident Friday. No one was hurt, but I am car-less right now. Having your box come in the mail just really perked me up. And then to have so much in the box. I know, I know, I'm gushing now :-)
Julie
Great analogy, Genene. I would think that there'd be excitement every time there's a release----of a book, that is . . .
Piper's analysis of the 'first time' is hilarious but oh, so true. Now I have a new perspective as well.
Julie
This is very timely for me, Genene, as I have second release book jitters. I don't know how similar or different the next book's release will be to the first one, I just know it won't be the same. And I think that's probably good. No book will be like the first book, but it will still be special. When I sold my second series in November, that call was very different from the first. And yeah, it's true, I enjoyed it a lot more. I think I knew more, was prepared for what to expect, and because of that I was able to enjoy the experience more. So I guess in that respect, it is definitely like sex.
However, with regard to what Becky said as to writing books after you finish the first one...I'm probably going to be a downer to say that for me, each book gets harder, not easier. I keep waiting for the day writing is a piece of cake, but I don't think it ever will be. Good writers are always striving to write something new and different. I don't have the fear of finishing a book anymore - I know I can do that part easily enough - but I definitely worry about making sure the next book is better than the last.
Congrats on your upcoming release!!! Can't wait to read it!
Thanks for this perspective, Paty:
"So while it feels like the first time, I'm more confident and can take a few more risks and enjoy the changes without stressing whether I'm doing it right or not."
Taken a step further, this can be carried to promoting releases also. Because of the time lag between finishing a story and its publication--even with e-books--promoting our latest releases can be like a reunion with dear friends. It can remind you what you loved about that book, without having to sit down and write it from scratch.
The time issue is one I am still challenged by also. Though I'm getting better, I still tend to cram more things into the day than I can reasonably get done. And, yeah, work on a new writing project is something that can suffer from this. Still searching for that balance!
Piper, I love your comment!
And you've given me another spin on this perspective too. Promotion can be compared not just to a reunion with dear friends, but to a second honeymoon with your husband--all the anticipation without the scariness of the first time!
Sheesh, writers really can compare anything to the writing process, can't we?
Thank you, Julie! Comments like yours are EXACTLY why I do promotion: connecting with readers in the hope my stories will bring them joy or laughter or a much needed break from realities like a car accident.
So glad you're OK, even if your vehicle is at the car doctor's right now.
(((HUGS))) to you! Glad you enjoyed the goodies--and keep working on your own dreams!
Eli, I think you've nailed another reason for jitters after the first book is released.
People have something to compare your second (or third or thirtieth) book to. What if it's not as good? What if it's better--then what do I do for an encore? And how do you define "better"? Is different "better" or is it disappointing to readers because they wanted something more like your first book? Man, writers could drive themselves crazy chasing that line of thinking!
Guess that's part of the maturing process for a writer also, isn't it? Writing the very best story we can, knowing it won't be the same, but trusting that it will carry a message to readers that resonates with them.
Thanks also for the congratulations on the release.
No, it's not like the first time, but I am anticipating the double pleasure of downloading the e-book and holding the paper copy in my hands when it is available!
Post a Comment