Current Project: Promotion for Feb. 27 release of STARS IN YOUR EYES, Kick-off promotion for ROGUE'S ANGELS
and Edits for CHASING RAINBOWS
Status: Changing gears
I find myself in an interesting place with writing. After three releases in eleven months, my next publication date is almost a year away. After the February 27, 2009 release of STARS IN YOUR EYES, I have plans for continued promotion for my first three books as a connected series. I'm so pleased that new ideas for promotion continue to pop into my head, and I also have the print versions of two of these books to look forward to.
In addition, promotion for next year's Valentine's Day anthology from Rogue Phoenix Press will kick off on Valentine's Day THIS year and continue to build until release date. This is an especially exciting project for me because I'll be working with two authors I've known for quite a few years: Christine Young--who is also the owner of Rogue Phoenix Press--and C.L. Kraemer, known to some of you as Chris Kraemer, who will be moving back to Salem after several years out of state. This is the first of a series of projects we have planned as Rogue's Angels.

We've got a fun graphic (attached here) and are launching a new blog at www.roguesangels.blogspot.com. All three stories in this anthology will have "write-in" parts, similar to cameo appearances on TV. These parts were auctioned off at a benefit for the Willamette Humane Society last fall. We'll be tracking the progress of the anthology on the blog as well as introducing the very nice lady who will be featured in the write-in parts. I find it very appropriate that she is a former librarian.
Quite frankly, I'm looking forward to a slower writing pace this coming year so I can catch up with other pieces of my life. As I look at the members of our group, we seem to all have different writing paces.
Alice, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you have been buried with deadlines and multiple releases for a couple years. Eli had a late December/early January release with another in less than a year, then two or three scheduled for 2010. Paty has e-book and print releases every few months but is always working hard on her next work in progress. In addition to launching her own e-publishing company, Christine Young continues to release a book she has written every few months. Chris York always has a project or two or three in the works.
Others, like Karen, are working with an agent to make the switch from e-books to a New York publishing house. Still others in our group have slowed their writing while they take time to be a mom or take care of family business or work full-time or tend to any number of other obligations. After a slower year in 2009, I want to concentrate on finishing all the books in my nine-book series in 2010 and 2011 so they can be released fairly close together. Hmm...a year or two of insanity, then a rest to deal with more insanity. Or just the natural ebb and flow of writing and publishing?
How about you? What's your ideal release schedule? One, two, three or more books a year? A lot of books for a year or two and then a break? If you're not yet published, what do you think would be an ideal release schedule and why?
Status: Changing gears
I find myself in an interesting place with writing. After three releases in eleven months, my next publication date is almost a year away. After the February 27, 2009 release of STARS IN YOUR EYES, I have plans for continued promotion for my first three books as a connected series. I'm so pleased that new ideas for promotion continue to pop into my head, and I also have the print versions of two of these books to look forward to.
In addition, promotion for next year's Valentine's Day anthology from Rogue Phoenix Press will kick off on Valentine's Day THIS year and continue to build until release date. This is an especially exciting project for me because I'll be working with two authors I've known for quite a few years: Christine Young--who is also the owner of Rogue Phoenix Press--and C.L. Kraemer, known to some of you as Chris Kraemer, who will be moving back to Salem after several years out of state. This is the first of a series of projects we have planned as Rogue's Angels.

We've got a fun graphic (attached here) and are launching a new blog at www.roguesangels.blogspot.com. All three stories in this anthology will have "write-in" parts, similar to cameo appearances on TV. These parts were auctioned off at a benefit for the Willamette Humane Society last fall. We'll be tracking the progress of the anthology on the blog as well as introducing the very nice lady who will be featured in the write-in parts. I find it very appropriate that she is a former librarian.
Quite frankly, I'm looking forward to a slower writing pace this coming year so I can catch up with other pieces of my life. As I look at the members of our group, we seem to all have different writing paces.
Alice, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you have been buried with deadlines and multiple releases for a couple years. Eli had a late December/early January release with another in less than a year, then two or three scheduled for 2010. Paty has e-book and print releases every few months but is always working hard on her next work in progress. In addition to launching her own e-publishing company, Christine Young continues to release a book she has written every few months. Chris York always has a project or two or three in the works.
Others, like Karen, are working with an agent to make the switch from e-books to a New York publishing house. Still others in our group have slowed their writing while they take time to be a mom or take care of family business or work full-time or tend to any number of other obligations. After a slower year in 2009, I want to concentrate on finishing all the books in my nine-book series in 2010 and 2011 so they can be released fairly close together. Hmm...a year or two of insanity, then a rest to deal with more insanity. Or just the natural ebb and flow of writing and publishing?
How about you? What's your ideal release schedule? One, two, three or more books a year? A lot of books for a year or two and then a break? If you're not yet published, what do you think would be an ideal release schedule and why?
22 comments:
Genene, You have a lot going on and what fun to write a book with Chris and Chris!
I'm kind of in that same situation. I've been asked to write a novella for a Christmas 2010 anthology Lawmen and Outlaws. And I was approached by another author to do a sisters book with her. Which we brainstormed about last night and I'm hooked on the story and idea. Plus, I want to have the last two Halsey brother books done by the end of this year and-- fingers crossed-- would like to have some interest in the last two books I wrote.
So this year is all about writing nonstop and I would like to keep up the two/three books and novella a year as my writing goal.
OH, and I need to get a Rose Petal- free read- written to go up on The Wild Rose Site for the month of June which is the Cactus Rose promotion month.
Genene, you are busy! Much more so than me, btw. I only seem busy because I whine so much. I always told our kids, "If you find something you're good at, then do it the best you can." With me it's whining, I'm like world class and now that I think of it, both kids are pretty damn good at it, too. And the grandchildren, bless their little hearts, put the rest of us to shame.
My goal is to write two books a year. Some years it seems like more because there's always carryover (edits, finishing up a book, making false starts, etc...) In the last year, from this date then to this date now, I finished a book, sold two books, plotted three more, and wrote the two I sold. That's right on schedule. Now as I finish this project and have no contract (ack!!!) I am ready to start the process over and this is the first time in awhile when I have five different ideas waiting to be fleshed out and one or two chosen. This is a job, albeit my dream job, but most every writer in my position I know works this way, from contract to contract with many writing far more than two books a year.
Thank heavens I am in a market where promotion isn't necessary because if I had to do what you and Paty and Eli and others are so great at in addition to writing, I couldn't do it. I spend my energy behind the keyboard, but that's just me. Other Intrigue writers promote themselves admirably. I just can't maintain an interest in it.
I'm glad you're pleased to be having a slower pace on your horizon and I hope you enjoy it!
Gosh, Paty, your pace doesn't seem to be slowing down at all!
Congratulations on the Christmas anthology and the sisters book! It nice to have those change-of-pace projects, I think.
At the rate you're going, you'll get the last two Halsey brother books done. That's awesome! Hope you get some interest in your Pinkerton series--it really intrigues me. But I loved your paranormals too and hope those get published.
How long is the Rose Petal/free read for The Wild Rose Web site? Writing shorter stories has its own challenges. :)
LOL, Alice! I don't think you're a whiner.
And you're so right about the carryover. Even if you're writing "only" two books a year, there are always pieces of the other books in production that need to be done, and you expect to spend time doing that.
I've noticed that promotion has developed a rhythm too. The first year was hectic because I didn't know what I was doing and was trying different things. Now I have a better idea of what I'm comfortable with and what seems to be most cost effective. But that could change at any time. :)
Genene, the rose petal free read is 2500 words. So basically 5 pages to do a meet/realization, fall in love and HEA. Only TWRP authors can submit them and they have to be in the genre of the author's other books pubbed with TWRP.
I haven't dropped the paranormals still figuring out how to get someone interested. They may end up at TWRP. We'll see when I get my other obligations to them done.
Wow, Paty! Talk about writing tight! Five pages is really short to go from meet to happily ever after. Hope you remind us in a few months when this is up. I want to read it!
Paty, I think in regular 250 words a page format, you're talking ten pages, not five. I wrote confessions for years and about half of them were love stories and from that experience, I would assure you it's really not difficult to develop a love story within those parameters. You'll have fun!
Alice, You're right, it's ten pages. I got to thinking about it after I posted and the first one I wrote was longer than five pages. That's why I'm a writer and not a mathematician or scientist- me and numbers don't mix!
Love your Rogue Angels graphic, Genene. That's so cool!
I've been thinking about your question all day, and I'm not sure I have an answer. What's "ideal" to me today may not be ideal to me tomorrow. "Ideally" right now I'd like to have a book releasing every six months or so, but I know that's not always going to be realistic.
As for writing...I'd like to continue to write 2-3 books a year. Right now that's at 2, but I'd like to train myself to write faster so I can do three. Of course, at 100K words per book, that's a lot of words, so I'm happy with two right now. It would also require me to spend less time on Facebook. :) (I blame Lisa for my addiction.)
Fun topic.
Alice and Paty--ten pages still doesn't sound like much to develop a love story. I guess you find a rhythm to writing that short just as with anything else you write.
Thanks for the kudos on the Rogue's Angels graphic, Eli! That's going to be a fun project!
Two or three books a year at 100K is indeed a lot of words!
I need to pick up some of your fascination with Facebook. I'm still fumbling with it, begging for friends. LOL! I found you, Eli, but if any of the rest of you want to "friend" me, I'd be most appreciative. :)
Paty, LOL, when you get paid by the word (as you do in that market) trust me, you get real good at the math!
And Genene, your coming projects do sound exciting and like a change of pace. I've been thinking about Paty's story all day and missing writing short stories, i.e., missing the change of pace. I also love your graphic and it's a great website you guys have put together.
Gosh, I wonder if I'd get better at math if I got paid by the word? Sounds like good motivation!
Thanks for the kudos on the Rogue's Angels graphic and blog, Alice! It's nice to brainstorm with others and not just be hanging out by myself wondering if something is good or garbage. :)
Yes, the change of pace and trying something different is nice!
I admire everyone's ambition and productivity!
Argh, the promo thing is a pain in the butt, IMO. I really enjoyed it with my first book because the results were noticeable, but that was in 2000. The climate for small press books has changed, the competition is steeper, and there's just too many small press and ebooks out out there. Without the distribution, self-promo is daunting to me.
I'd love to write 2 books a year, but I don't know that I could. It's a goal of mine, though. I want to have 2 series going at once, maybe even with different publishers, I don't know. MMPB is where I'm headed, or into the trunk. One or the other. 8^)
Karen -- what do you mean "or into the trunk?"
Sorry, Alice, I thought everyone knew what a trunk novel is. It's that manuscript you put in the bottom drawer or on the highest shelf of your closet to collect dust. I'm just saying I'll hold out for a MMPB contract and not consider other alternatives like I have in the past.
Karen,
Me, slapping forehead, "Doh."
OK, Karen, then I'll ask the other "duh" question--what's MMPB? I'm assuming it something about a major NY publisher??
Two series at once kinda makes me shudder. One series and a novella tossed in would be fine. However, I'd worry about mixing up the characters with two different series going at once. Unless they were different time periods. You're a brave woman!
Genene, in case Karen (and her zapped lap top) don't get back to you, I believe MMPB is Mass Market Paper Back.
And she is brave!
Thank you, Alice! That makes sense.
Genene, MMPB stands for mass market paper back. The 2 books/year is pretty ambitious, but I'd really love to be able to do that. I know a lot of authors who do.
Post a Comment