Wednesday, February 11, 2009

GRAMMY THOUGHTS



Current Project:Agent Daddy
Status: Pg. 256

Did anyone else watch the Grammy Awards a few nights ago? What struck me was the variety of the performers and their songs as reflected by the different awards. Keep in mind there are up to a half dozen of sub categories under each general heading:
* POP FIELD
* DANCE FIELD
* ROCK FIELD
* ALTERNATIVE FIELD
* R&B FIELD
* RAP FIELD
* COUNTRY FIELD
* NEW AGE FIELD
* JAZZ FIELD
* GOSPEL FIELD
* LATIN FIELD
* BLUES FIELD
* FOLK FIELD
* REGGAE FIELD
* WORLD MUSIC FIELD
* POLKA FIELD
* CHILDREN’S FIELD
* SPOKEN WORD FIELD
* COMEDY FIELD
* MUSICAL SHOW FIELD
* FILM, TELEVISION AND OTHER VISUAL MEDIA FIELD
* CLASSICAL FIELD
* MUSIC VIDEO FIELD
* GENERAL FIELD

As we all know, each of those songs had to be written. Someone heard the first beat in their head, felt the rhythm, created the lyrics and in many cases, found an artist (or several) who could interpret the finished product. Many songs could no doubt claim dozens of individuals who had a hand in the final product. But it was the singer, the orchestra, the band, the performers, who became the public face of the music. (Consider the recent dust up over “At Last” made famous by Etta James and sung at one of the Inaugural Balls by Beyonce Knowles. Ms. James has been vocal in “wishing” she had been asked to sing the song. It took me a few minutes to track down the songwriter. Glen Miller. Who knew?)

Where was I? Oh, yeah, the thing that struck me was how diverse the music was. I closed my eyes and tried to picture Lil Wayne taking the place of Robert Plant in the duo Plant sang with Alison Krauss. Nope. Okay, how about the Jonas Brothers doing Radiohead? And can you see Neil Diamond and Jay-Z fighting over new material? Now I flashed to “American Idol” (which I have freely admitted I watch) and to the comment I’ve heard a judge say more than once, “It wasn’t the right song for you. You have to pick the sings that highlight your voice.”

Voice. That illusive commodity every good writer has and every struggling writer is trying to find (and this has nothing to do with your published/pre-published status.) And I think it occurred to me then that VOICE can have as much with WHAT you choose to say as with HOW you choose to say it.

One more point and then I’ll get back to writing my book and it’s this: There’s room for everyone at the table, be the main course music or books. There was another dust up on the unwieldy PAN link recently that had to do with some Rita judges and how uncomfortable they were reading erotic books. Reason seems to say you would not check the box marked erotica if you didn’t want to read erotica, and that if a book fell into your hands anyway you would either read it and judge it for the story and the writing or send it back immediately. I didn’t understand or admire the whining and hand wringing and subtle superiority (I don’t read that kind of trash!) mentality that permeated some of the comments.

I mean, if a wrapper and an opera singer can share the same profession, surely there is room for all writers to show respect to one another. And if this blog leaves you scratching your head wondering what in the world any of it meant, oops, blame it on my deadline, that’s what I plan to do.

8 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Well said, Alice!

There is room in the world for all types of books, songs, art. Everyone has their preference and knowing that they should stick to what they like. Karen's book sounds fascinating as she talks about it, but it isn't the type of book I'd pick up and read- I'm not into that kind of sci-fi/fantasy. Just like though I read one book on werewolves by Lori Handeland, I'm not a fan of that type of book and won't pick up another one. But I know this and I don't knock the writer because I don't like the genre. There are lots of people out there that won't pick up a western or historical book. That's fine. To each their own.

As for erotica, I have a friend who writes sweet romance that wants to write erotica because they sell so well. It will be interesting to see if she can push the envelope and do it.

Kendra said...

I think you made a wonderful point, Alice. I like the line "There's room for everyone at the table." It applies perfectly to publishing and music.

I may not listen to polka, new age, or world music, but obviously a lot of people do. Same way I don't read graphic novels, sci-fi, or ...uh...I guess I read a little of everything else. How boring this world would be if everything sounded (or read) the same.

I'm rolling my eyes about the erotica issue. Isn't it hard enough with the literary fiction community looking down their noses at romance? Why the elitism within the romance community? Can't we present a united front? Keep your issues to yourself and quietly request a different RITA book.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I'm rolling my eyes about the erotica issue. Isn't it hard enough with the literary fiction community looking down their noses at romance? Why the elitism within the romance community? Can't we present a united front? Keep your issues to yourself and quietly request a different RITA book.

Here, here, Kendra.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I have a question...what's the difference between 'Spoken Word Field' and 'RAP field'?

Very well said, Alice. The market is big enough for all types of books, and all types of voices.

Kendra said...

Isn't spoken word where they read books aloud? Seems like Hillary Clinton won or was nominated a few years back.

Alice Sharpe said...

Eli -- Spoken Words includes Poetry, Audio Books, Story Telling.

Rap is, well, Rap.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Gosh, I miss a lot by not watching television. I had no idea there were so many categories of music represented at the Grammies. That's very cool!

Also, good points about the correlation to the many genres and subgenres of writing. It's nice to have so many choices to read or not read!

Alice Sharpe said...

Before I publish a blog, I try to edit the contents, you know, make sure the spelling is good and the sentences make some kind of sense, etc., but i just noticed this line in this post: " -- if a wrapper and an opera singer can share the same profession --"

Ack! RAPPER. RAPPER!

Good grief.