Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Easy Shopping


Current Project: Making my list
Status: Checking it twice

Dare I write about Christmas? Is it too early? If you are a catalog and online shopper like I am, then it's not too early. Shipping. Shipping can take waaay too long. If you order something in December it may not arrive until right before the holiday. That's too close for me. I like to have my shopping done at least a week before the big day. Two weeks is even better.

I love to shop online. I'm not a mall fan. Well, I am a fan of Washington Square on Monday mornings when the place is empty. But shop when you have to stand in line for twenty minutes to pay? When the tables and racks of clothing are such a jumbled mess you find XS in the XXL section? Circle and circle and circle the parking lot? Circling twice as long as everyone else because the spaces aren't big enough for my gas guzzling beast? No thanks.

I started shopping last night around 10 PM. Amazon and Gymboree websites. I shop Amazon early because the free shipping option can take nearly two weeks to deliver if you order after Thanksgiving. Click, click, click, done. Tiny people on my list are finished.

Starting in September, I get an amazing number of catalogs. Usually I can find unique, personal gifts for my parents in catalogs. One year I bought my dad a sweatshirt that simply said "Yes, dear." Perfect. He wore it constantly. My mom has a fondness for cats, birds, and gardening. I've found cool bird feeders and cat figurines with hats. A few years back, I spent more than I wanted to on a cut metal wall hanging of galloping horses for my sister and her I-want-a-be-a-cowboy husband. It was freaking gorgeous; I wanted to keep it. It hangs in a perfect spot in their kitchen.

Catalogs rock. Where else can you find a "More cowbell" t-shirt for Will Ferrell fans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mie9hhQTUM

This was the best video I could find. The original longer version must be copywrited, but you get the idea.

What perfect gifts have you found in past years and where? Anyone else hate busy malls the way I do? Or do you love being a part of the hustle and bustle of the busiest time of the year?

11 comments:

Paty Jager said...

It's a love hate relationship for me. I love making a special gift for each person, but have less and less time to do it in each year. I hate going to the stores. And my dh doesn't believe in ordering things off the internet. He doesn't like his information out there where anyone can take it. (rolling eyes)

Last year I made all the grandkids a stuffed lion, this year I kept it simple and made pillow cases with their favorite cartoon characters. I'm making winter throws for the sibling families (we give family gifts to my brothers and the dh's sister) I have a toy for the grandsons and need to get a toy for the granddaughters to go with their pillow cases.

In year's past, I made barb wire wreaths for the sibling families and way back I made ceramic nativity sets, giving them three pieces each year for several years to complete their sets.

I'm heading to Salem early today to hopefully get the last things I need and then I can sit back and decorate and enjoy the holidays and not stress. It you can call 12 people here for Thanksgiving and 15 for Christmas not stressing! And the Christmas ones will be here for over a week.

Fun post and no, it isn't too early to be thinking about Christmas, it's just around the corner!

Alice Sharpe said...

Fun blog!

I'm not a shopper, either. Me and stores don't mix. Mall air saps the life out of a person. Too much time in a mall and you turn into a Zombie. What? you didn't know that's where Zombies come from? You fell for that Caribbean walking dead stuff? Now you know the truth.

First of all Kendra, I wish I was on your gift list. It sounds as though you find unique treasures for people. I think that's great. Finding those treasures takes time and since I rarely shop anymore, I didn't think I could do it. But if I use the Internet....

And yet in the same hand you offer this alternative, you tell me I have two weeks before the bubble pops and it falls apart. Two weeks during which Thanksgiving (that means cleaning, another Zombie maker and cooking, yikes, ditto) happens and the deadline rears its ugly head. Ack, must rush off to look at those catalogues I put in recycling!

Kendra said...

Wow, Paty. Nativity sets? That's fantastic that you make gifts for you family; it takes a lot talent and patience. I don't have either.

Alice, "Mall air sucks the life out of a person" Too true!! Although I'm going this morning because Macy's is advertising a ski coat my youngest needs for $15. I'm parking by the upstairs door, dashing in, grabbing coat, and dashing out. After I pay, of course.

Anonymous said...

Fun post Kendra!

Like Paty, I have a love/hate for this time of year too.

I love to decorate and have all the frippery, but I hate going into town and, like you Kendra, trying to find a place to park my 18-wheeler. LOL Okay, it's just a Suburban, but you get my drift.

The shopping part sucks too because I usually don't have any idea what to get my kids; they really don't need anything. I think socks and underwear are great gifts and they balk at that. Imagine. Spoiled brats. :)

I love the decorations downtown and I love the Christmas music. I have a million Christmas songs I've downloaded from iTunes over the years and they play continuously until January. Love it!! My kids all know the lyrics to Santa Baby and to hear my little guy sing that when he was three was too cute.

I love getting presents for other people. It's sooo much fun! I usually don't have any money though so I end up at the last minute going anyway and putting everything on a credit card because I just can't stand not getting presents for people.

When I was a kid we didn't celebrate the holidays because we belonged to a freaky religion called The World Wide Church of God. Now, that church celebrates all the holidays and the women can finally wear makeup and eat sugar and chocolate. I missed so much growing up that I'm making up for it now. :) Every holiday at school had me in the library while the other kids got to attend the class parties. Can you believe how stupid my parents were to believe that stupid church and their effed up leaders? Yeah, I have some major resentments about those years. LOL

Kendra, I'm afraid to buy on-line because I like to see and feel what I'm buying. Same reason I don't shop catalogues much. Hands on is better for me. But your way of shopping sounds a lot less hectic and organized. Smart woman, you are. (said in Yoda voice)

So, it's okay to say... Happy Holidays Everyone! Right? Not too early? Anyway, happy turkey eating too!

Deborah Wright said...

Wow Paty. I'm always impressed by people who really do make the gifts they give at Christmas. We always used to talk about doing that when I was younger, but somehow life was always just too hectic.

Having lived for nearly 20 years in a place that has almost 7 million people brings some perspective. Circling the parking lot and standing in long lines to pay for items is a normal weekend at the mall in the Bay Area. You haven't shopped in crowds at Christmas until you've had to decide whether it's worth it to park several miles away in one of the "overflow lots" and take a free shuttle to the mall along with all the rest of the mob. LOL. We've enjoyed shopping in downtown Salem, though the choices are limited, simply for the convenience and lack of crowds.

Even so, we usually try to pick up presents all during the year at various art festivals and when we're traveling. But the big fallback is ordering online and shipping direct -- usually food items. My current favorites are Dancing Deer Baking company (www.dancingdeer.com) and Holy Cross Abbey's Monastery Bakery (www.monasteryfruitcake.org -- they have some amazing truffles and an incredible fruitcake).

And no, it's never too early to think about Christmas!

Kendra said...

Piper, mine's a suburban, too. I totally understand! I always felt bad for the kids that didn't get to celebrate holidays. I feel sad about kids who don't get to go trick or treating. Maybe the holiday had mystic roots, but now it's all about the candy!

Deborah, I've often wondered if I'd have a different perspective if I grew up in a big city. I can't imagine. I peeked at those websites. I may have to order some of Dancing Deer's (I love that name.) cookies. They looked incredible. Have you tried any of them?

Karen Duvall said...

Kendra, I love shopping online! I used to do it all the time back when I was financially secure in Colorado. Everyone got bunches of very expensive gifts from me, especially my mom. I loved spending money on her. And for my husband, it was fun picking out stuff I knew he'd love, yet he had no idea how much he needed it until he opened his present. Such fun!

Now it's mainly cards given as "gifts." Big woof. I do send the kids gift cards, though, so they can buy what they want.

I will be splurging a bit on client gifts this year. I have more clients now whose business has helped me pay my bills and fill my fridge. 8^) I'm grateful.

When I was a young mom and housewife, I made all the gifts for my family. It was so fun! Enjoy, Paty!

I don't decorate for Christmas anymore, though we still have all the holiday doodads up in the attic. I'll start the tradition again someday.

Fun post, Kendra!

Alice Sharpe said...

Kendra -- I have to get a More Cowbell T-shirt for my SIL. I have found literally dozens of them on the internet. What was yours like?

Alice Sharpe said...

Oh, and Paty, severl years ago I made Care Bear stuffed toys for four nieces and nephews (I've always regretted not making any for my own kids!) I used to make my mom quilted vests and one year I made the coolest ducks stuffed with a brick for use as a door stop that you have ever seen! I still have two of them and they're beautiful. Alas, I don't sew anymore. My sister wanted a cover for her hot pad. I went out and bought myself a $200.00 sewing machine which I dropped and spent $100.00 fixing plus eight dollars in fabric and thread. To date that is all I made. Those covers cost $308.00. Even I can see that's not very cost effective.

Deborah Wright said...

Kendra, I first found Dancing Deer when a good friend sent us a gift box. It was so good, every time I order gifts from them I order something for us, too!

Everything we've had so far has been fresh and very tastey -- we've tried a variety of the cookies and the Maple Pumpkin Cranberry cake. The only thing we haven't tried yet that I want to are their brownies.

Deborah Wright said...

Oh -- and dancing deer usually has holiday gifts (and towers) that ship in shaker-style wooden boxes with cute ribbon ties. :-)