Friday, November 07, 2008

Expectations


Current Project: RS Option Book
Status: Chapter One

What did you expect when you logged on to the blog today? Was it this? A new design? Or were you expecting more of the same?

Before I dive into the topic of expectations, I have to take a moment to point out the new blog design. You'll notice that our book covers are all on the upper right now, with our new releases at the top of the page. Research shows the first place a viewer's eye travels on a webpage is to the top right column, so hopefully this will draw attention to our current and coming books. Our "info" now is along the left column, and be sure you scroll down and take a look at a new section labeled "Snapshots". Lots of fun new stuff you probably didn't expect.

Now back to my topic. Expectations are weighing heavy on my mind these days. With less than two months to go to my debut release, I've been thinking a lot about the next book, and the one after that. And tossing around this concept of giving the reader what they expect, but still shaking things up enough to keep the reader interested. We've talked about series before, and how most series tend to outlive themselves right around book 4 or 5. Why? Is it because the author's giving the reader too much of the same? More often than not, the reason I stop reading a series is because all the books begin to sound and read the same.

Like I said, this is in the front of my mind these days. My first book, STOLEN FURY, is a mystery romantic adventure. You don't know who the villain is until the end. But book two, STOLEN HEAT, is completely different. Sure, there's murder and mayhem and another treasure to be found, but this one is more of a suspense romantic adventure. The reader knows who the villain is all the way through. Book three, STOLEN SEDUCTION, is again another mystery romantic adventure, but does it have enough adventure? Is it as "Romancing The Stone" as the others in the series? Is it enough like the first two to give my readers what they expect, yet different enough to keep them interested?

I'm sure all new authors stress about these things (I hope!). It's that concept of branding, of labelling yourself as a writer so that when readers pick up your book, they know you write sexy romantic adventure or gritty crime dramas or quirky science fiction. My question for you though is, when are books in a series too similar and when are they too different?

12 comments:

Paty Jager said...

First off! I LOVE the new format! Very nice, Eli!!!!!

Getting ready to start in on the fourth book of a five book series, I have set it up so the hero in book four is not the favorite Halsey brother, so it will be a tough act to make him a hero-which I hope will break the hum drum of series. Also the third book is not a break neck chase after bad guys like the first two. So in that aspect I changed up the tone of the series as well.

But I'm also working on the first book of hopefully a series and trying to think ahead a little to make sure these books don't get boring. It's going to be a challenge because this series will have the same hero and heroine in every book.

So I think in a way series books are much harder to write than a single title, because you do have to keep it fresh and keep the reader wanting more.

Interesting topic and I look forward to what others have to say.

And in case you didn't see it the first time. I LOVE THIS NEW SET UP!

Alice Sharpe said...

Wow, Eli, the page looks great. The snapshots, the book covers, everything. I can't imagine the hours you spent on this, good job and many kudos and thanks.

I've only written a couple of books related to one another. Two, two book series, if I'm not mistaken. Working on the second book of the third set right now. Beyond attempting to make every book march to its own drummer, I haven't worried too much about this on a conscious level though now that I think about it, the two books have differed from one another intone and setting. I've read a lot of continuing character mysteries and the point is to have the books similar in key ways, I think. A person don't go back to the same grocery store every time so that everything about the store is different -- the familiarity is part of the allure.

But you're talking series, not continuing characters. Would some of that desire by a reader to enter the world of your series still exist? I'm not sure but it seems wise to me that you changed around the mystery/suspense angle. To paraphrase what you said, the same but different (which also happens to be the battle-cry of almost every publishing house on earth).

And, btw, stressing about these kind of things is not restrictive to new authors as you must have noticed by now!

Anonymous said...

Yeeowza! What a face lift! It looks amazing!!

Great blog topic, too. Hmm...

I think the only time a series can get screwed up is if the author isn't good enough to pull a series of 5 or more off. I mean, a series of 3 can be really great to read because it doesn't get drug out and boring, but a good writer can, in my opinion, pull off an 8 or more book series and make it terrific.

Take Julia Quinn's "Bridgerton" series. They, to me, were all wonderful and I was so sad to say goodbye to that family and their wonderful lives.

And then there's Shannon Drake's "Graham" series, absolutely fabulous and I re-read several of them,never tiring.

Kressley Cole, same thing with her paranormal series, love all of them and would read more.

So, I guess that the only way to answer your extremely difficult question is this...

If you like (or love) the author and the books she/he writes, and you've come to trust that they write similar stories each time, you'll buy that author's books because you know what you're going to get and it's a sure thing.

People are creatures of habit and they love a sure thing. Like sex with your husband, he's not new but he's always great and you know what to expect and you're more than happy to visit and re-visit over and over because of the pleasure he brings to you. LOL

Same with an author you love and trust. You just keep coming back for more because you know what you're going to get and you want it. IMHO

So, no worries mate! :) You're a fabulous writer and your books will be NYT's baby, so really, relax. You're a sure thing. ;)

Karen Duvall said...

Eli, great job on the makeover! Wow, I love it, I really do. Very professional!

I read series almost exclusively, and I admit to giving up on a few. It wasn't so much that the books started sounding the same, though that could be part of it, it's that I didn't like how the characters themselves had changed. In the books I read, it's the same MC in each one, and they continuously change from book to book, so there's usually some over-arcing plot element that carries book to book so the MC can grow and evolve. It's a tough challenge for the author because readers are fickle folk. If that MC takes a turn readers disagree with, the buzzer goes off and the series' popularity takes a dive.

I've never read a series where the main characters change in each book. That will be interesting and I look forward to reading yours, Eli. 8^)

I like trilogies quite a lot, but haven't read many only because series books have been my focus for so long.

In my Knight series, it will be the same heroine in each book, and the same love interest, though their tumultuous relationship changes over time. In Mystic Taxi, which is also intended as a series, the two main characters are a team so they'll work together in each book. There will be sparks and tension between them, but if they ever end up a couple, it won't happen for a really long time. Like when the series ends.

Great topic, Eli!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Great remodel of the blog site, Eli! I like the way things are rearranged and really enjoyed the snapshots and the memories/stories behind them that come to mind. Similar enough to the previous design to feel comfortable, but different enough to go "Wow"!

So I think you're on top of meeting expectations. You're very aware of striking a balance between familiar and something new.

Like Paty said, I think keeping stories fresh yet familiar is more of a challenge with the same main characters in every book. Karen said it well: if the main character(s) change in a way readers don't like, they will show their displeasure by not buying any more of those books.

I'm not worried about uniqueness in my series of nine books. Although most of the characters will reappear in each book, the main characters will change as each sibling gets their own story. And since each of these siblings is adopted, that gives a huge range for each story to be unique. Yet the recurring characters will have that "welcome back" feel. I'll still need to strike a balance between familiar and something new, but I'm looking forward to that adventure and not worried about it.

Thanks for the revamp on the blog!

Barbara said...

I love the new format, too, Eli! I noticed when I rolled the cursor over the book covers they are linked to the author's website. I was "expecting" they might be linked to Amazon.com or Powell's like we talked about at the last meeting so people could buy the books or at least read the reviews. Maybe the author's sites are linked to Amazon? Anyway, great job!

I love series books and will read as many as I can find if the setting is comfortable or fascinating to me. The settings (physical and cultural) were more important than the characters to me in the Cat Who... books, Nevada Barr's national parks mysteries, and Tony Hillerman's mysteries. I love the feeling of going back to a cozy, familiar place or traveling to someplace totally different from where I am. I just have to like the characters enough to not be turned off.

I'm looking forward to reading your series, Eli. Jim and I have an old interest in archeology that sometimes springs back to life and we may read your books out loud so we can both enjoy them at once.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Yay! I'm glad to hear most of you like the blog's facelift. I spent way more time working on it this week than I should have, but it was on my to do list and I wanted to get it done before focusing too much on my option book.

Paty, I have complete faith you'll be able to make the unlikeable Halsey brother loveable. That's the fun in reading/writing those kinds of stories.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

And, btw, stressing about these kind of things is not restrictive to new authors as you must have noticed by now!

Thanks, Alice. You know me. I'm not happy unless I have something to stress over.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Good point, Piper. I've enjoyed all of Kresley Cole's books, and while they're similar in the world/paranormal aspect, each story has been different enough to keep me hooked.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Karin, most series books I tend to give up easily are the ones with the same character over and over. I think it's very hard to keep those new and fresh (though JD Robb's In Death series has the same main characters and has survived like 30 books, right? So I guess it can be done well). I can't wait until your books are pubbed and I can read them to see how you handle it, though. ;)

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Thanks, Barbara. One reviewer emailed me this week and asked me if I studied archaeology in school (don't laugh, Lisa), if I scuba dive and if the main character (her name is, ironically, Lisa) is at all like me. (Apparantly she noticed you could pull Lisa from Elisabeth). Funny questions at first, but then I realized if she was asking them, it meant I must have done something right. I hope you and Jim enjoy the book!

As for the links...I'll take a look at them. The Amazon order links are super long and I can't copy and paste them into the link window - have to type them all in by hand. I was rushing to get this up by Friday, but when I have more free time I'll go back and look at typing them in. Most authors do have preorder/order info on their websites though. I think Alice may be the only one who doesn't. ('cause, you know, she needs to get busy and update her site.)

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I think you're on top of meeting expectations. You're very aware of striking a balance between familiar and something new.

Probably too aware, Genene. My first book was considered "outside mainstream/popular RS" which is why it took a while to sell, but with the reviews being so great and people responding to it so well because it IS different (at least so far), staying true to that while writing something different is right in the front of my mind.