Current Project: Mystic TaxiStatus: End of Chapter 9, page 131
I run hot and cold when it comes to contests. Being published means the pool of contests I'm eligible to enter is pretty shallow. To enter a published book in a contest, the book needs to have been published in the year the contest takes place, so that closes me out completely. To enter an unpublished manuscript in a contest, that contest has to accept published authors and most of them don't.
I entered the 2008 PASIC Book of Your Heart contest this year for a couple of reasons, the main one being that entries would be judged by librarians and booksellers. Now that's different and I really liked that idea. Getting peer judges who are fellow writers is like throwing the dice. You get a fair judge, you're in good shape, but if you get one with an axe to grind, fairness goes out the window. I've heard so many horror stories about contest judges out for blood who have very little clue how to judge someone else's writing. Spare me the agony of that experience.
I got lucky with the PASIC and finaled. And I won 3rd place, which is very cool considering the multi-published authors I was up against. So I'm proud of that win. I'm proud of Knight's Curse, the manuscript that got me there, and I pray for its eventual publication. In August of this year, I bit the bullet and entered yet another contest with KC. Gulp.
Results aren't in for this other contest, which is the Nola Stars 2008 Suzannah. But I entered because it's another different kind of contest where judges are librarians and booksellers, but also fellow writers, so I don't feel as encouraged. This is a romance contest, and the PASIC was as well, but the romance in KC is only a strong subplot and not the main plot. I kind of regret entering the Suzannah now, but what's done is done. Sigh. I just hope I can final based on the strength of the writing rather than the romance. Finalists will be announced December 1. The winner will be determined by a panel of 2 agents and 4 editors, and though I don't care about the agents since I already have one, I care a whole lot about the editors because all 4 are from publishing houses I'd love to have consider KC.
The editors judging the Suzanna are Leah Hultenschmidt (Dorchester), Margo Lipschultz (HQN), Alex Logan (Grand Central), and Leis Pederson (Berkley). KC is currently with Margo for the Luna imprint, and Berkley has already rejected, but it was a different editor. Any chance I can get my manuscript in front of editors, I'll take it.
It's now time to start thinking about Pengquin's Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest. I heard not-so-great things about it last year, but from checking out the rules for this year's competition, it doesn't appear to be the popularity contest that it was last year. There are professional reviewers making the selections, not every Tom, Dick or Harry and their relatives. I'm hoping that's the case, anyway, because I'm seriously considering entering Mystic Taxi, which will be finished and polished by the time the contest opens on February 2, 2009.
I'm thinking of entering Mystic Taxi in the PNWA contest, but the entry fee is steep at $50, and from my experience with it last year, the feedback was ho-hum and scores aren't given so I don't know how close or how far I was from finalling with Knight's Curse. All the comments were positive. Not a single criticism, just glowing praise, but I didn't final. That kind of ambiguous feedback gives me pause. I'm not sure the contest is organized very well.
Do you enter contests? Why or why not? What are your contest plans for 2009?
12 comments:
Timely entry for me. I'm doing Golden Heart again this year. I'm not sure why other than it's kind of a way to affirm to myself that I'm still in the game--otherwise it's a complete crapshoot lottery w/ no feedback for the steep fee, and I hate, hate, hate, hate that they don't do electronic entries.
I have a special place in my heart for PNWA b/c it was the first contest I finaled in. However, I'm really hoping they go digital this year. I think my new benchmark might be "Do they do electronic entries?"
After judging the Golden Rose, I was very impressed with their level of feedback, and I think I may enter this in 2009.
Good entry. I'm interested to see what other unpublished contests others can recommend.
Good for you entering the Golden Heart, Wavy. I've heard this is THE contest to enter for RWA unpublished writers. It's kind of a bummer there's no feedback, though. That's the opposite problem I had with PNWA that offered feedback and no scores.
I'd recommend entering the RMFW Colorado Gold contest in June. It's a very professionally run contest, been in operation for 20 years, it's multi-genre, and I think the competition in the romance category is pretty light. Most romance writers enter RWA sponsored contests, and this one isn't associated with RWA. The only drawback is that the final judges for each category aren't announced until the finalists have been selected, and most writers don't like to enter contests without knowing who the final judges will be. I'm that way. Like I won't enter a contest with an agent as a final judge for 2 reasons: 1) I already have an agent; 2) I could query that agent without having to enter the contest.
Good luck with the GH!
Well, I entered the EPPIE again this year, only, in the historical romance division. 1) because it is reasonable, 2) its electronic and easy to enter. (Wavy, I'm beginning to like the electronic entries, too!)
I also entered OIP in the BBA with the Greater Detroit RWA chapter. The books are judged by book sellers.
I'm thinking about entering my spirit book in the Colorado Gold competition. Can published authors enter, Karen? I'll have to look it up.
I've always liked contests, but I think mainly because I've finaled at least once with each ms I've entered in contests. It was my validation to keep writing. And though I get good reviews and comments from readers- a contest final just feels like more validation. And you hope more exposure.
Interesting post, Karen.
Paty, alas the Colorado Gold is open to unpublished writers only. But the PNWA will accept unpublished manuscripts from published authors, so consider giving them a try.
Good luck with the EPPIEs again this year. I tried last year or the year before, I've forgotten already, but didn't make the finals.
The PASIC is the first RWA contest I ever finalled in, but it's only the second RWA contest I've ever entered. I entered and won 3rd place in the Colorado Gold, and I won 2nd place in the Pikes Peak Writers contest, both with Project Resurrection before it was published.
I haven't given contest much of a thought, but I do want to enter a few published ones next year. I guess your post is a motivator for me to go do that, Karen. (It'll also give me something to do tomorrow when I'm waiting for DH to get out of surgery.)
As for me...I'll probably enter the pubbed division of the Daphnes this year (RWA's Kiss of Death chapter). I wasn't eligible to enter the RITAs this year because my book has a 2009 copywrite, but I'll probably enter it next November (I think my pub even pays for the entry fee for a debut author...how cool is that?). Other than than, though, I don't know yet. I do like the idea of reviewers and booksellers judging though.
Congrats on doing so well on you contests, Karen
I entered the Daphne once and didn't place or get mentioned or nothing (Eli, you owe me the entry fee... just saying...)
Other than that, I have never entered one and don't plan to but admire everyone else's guts and organizational skill. I don't like the threat of hearing something I may not agree with. I am a wuss who takes it to heart and has a hard time bouncing back so I protect myself.
interesting blog.
Interesting topic. Before I joined RWA, I was completely unaware of the existence of contests. I have to admit I was somewhat taken aback by the sheer number of them out there. I'm honestly not sure if I'll ever enter one. Like Alice, I tend to be a wuss at heart. ;-) The one exception might be the Golden Heart, when I've got something to submit, but I'll cross that bridge when the time comes.
Congrats Karen on your 3rd place award! That's really great!
I doubt I'd ever bother to enter a contest because I'm not much of a gambler or player. What I mean is, I'm like Alice and Deborah, I don't like to hear bad stuff.
I hate games and judging and all that; although, I don't mind judging contests. Weird. I guess one of the reasons I read romance is because it always has a good ending. Putting something in a contest may mean a bad ending for me and I'd hate that! :) I, too, am a WUSS!!
We should have a Wuss contest where everyone wins. Like in Kindergarten. Everyone's equal. Kidding! I'd hate that. Seriously, it's great when people push themselves and go for the best and try to be the awesome-est they can be. New word, awesomeest. Cool. Me likey.
I'm putting together my Golden Heart entry and wishing they'd go digital. I'm not fond of printing out 600 pages. Or the steep entry fee.
I'm banging my head on my keyboard as I consider entering a second MS. Will my printer survive?
Eli, I remember you entering the GH, and finaling, in the past. I bet you do well in the Rita, too!
Alice, Debbie and Piper, contests aren't for everyone. They're expensive and have the potential to be more harmful than helpful. I'm not sure of the benefits, really, and everyone has their own reason for entering. Me, I want an editor's attention. That's pretty much it.
Good luck with the GH, Kendra!
Kendra-KINKOS!!! I have a laser printer, but there's no way I can do all that printing (and yes, I'm doing two entries too). It's worth the kinkos fee to me. But yeeeeeeeetch, all that WASTE! GO DIGITAL RWA!
Interesting blog and comments. I entered a few contests for unpublished writers over the last few years (Golden Heart and Desert Rose come to mind). The main criteria was if the final round judges were editors I wanted to read my manuscript. A side benefit was that I got some great feedback from the contests that allowed the judges to comment.
This year, I entered my first book in the EPPIES and am watching for other contests for published books. My reason is simple: though the judging is subjective, finalling or winning is a nice marketing tool--and "award-winning author" has such a nice ring to it. :)
Post a Comment