Thursday, November 20, 2008


Current Project: Rekeying and editing novella
Status: Halfway done!


Alice has once again provided inspiration: Combine a list with the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and I have a blog topic! I've started a list of what writing has given me to be thankful for. That includes:

--I've met fellow writers and made new friends, including those in our MWV group.

--Character growth has also helped me grow: As I've dug for reasons why a character acts as they do, I've also discovered reasons for my own behavior and can then change that behavior if I want to.

--A sense of accomplishment: I finished a sentence, a paragraph, a scene, a book--and sold that book!

--Pushing boundaries: like Paty, promoting my books has helped me tackle things outside my comfort zone.

--Travel: Going to conferences has taken me to cities I had not previously visited or had not seen for a long time.

--Discipine, aka butt in chair, hands on keyboard: I'd always worked for someone else but writing helped me set goals for what I wanted to accomplish.

--Fame, prestige and big money: OK, only kidding with this one! :)

What items would you add to this list?

6 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene, I don't know if this is different from what you said, I suspect not, but something I've noticed about myself since writing suspense and mystery is I've begun to understand how big a role logic plays in all parts of life. If this happens and that happens then the result will be this or that. Having spent a great deal of my life unexamined and running on instinct, it's interesting to discover that beneath it all this time was this predilection for logic.

I am also thankful that writing has given my life a focus that has carried me through some tough times.

Neat list!

Karen Duvall said...

Great list, Genene. I'd only add that it's a creative outlet that lets me express myself. And that writing keeps me calm, kind of like comfort food. 8^)

Paty Jager said...

Sanity- Before I found an outlet for what ifs and put other people on the emotional edge- I drove myself crazy with scenarios of every bad thing that could happen to the people in my life.

Great blog, Genene and I concur with all you said!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Alice, you're so right about logic/cause and effect. Kind of like there are not coincidences. Although we may not know at the time what caused something to happen, we may figure it out later. Like a good book where the author reveals the villain at the end and you think, of course, it all makes perfect sense.

And writing is definitely good for getting through times--or for therapy. I wrote the draft of the romantic comedy I'm currently editing at one of the darkest times in my life. I was tired of listening to myself moan and groan and wanted to laugh again.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Karen, writing as a creative outlet is a no-brainer that should have been on the list. LOL!

Interesting that you compare writing to comfort food. Some authors forget to eat when they are writing intensely, but I want to have something to munch on when I write. Yeah, it makes a mess on the keyboard!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Oh, Paty, I've never laid claim to sanity, so I don't think I could put that on my list without everyone laughing hysterically.

But what a good way to write away your worries! Put them in a story and resolve them with a happy ending. I like that!