Current Project: Faith's Book
Status: synopsis
It's been a week since we all checked in.
A lot has happened around here but as of this moment, everything seems to have settled into a dull roar. Meanwhile, while sitting in the hospital with my mom, I wrote the second half of my synopsis. It's very rough, but it's down and now I can begin the process of fine tuning it into something useful for me and something my editor can show her boss. The book isn't due until March 15th. I actually think this very long deadline, which I requested, is going to work against me as I drag my feet when the pressure is off.
How are you doing?
19 comments:
Alice, I hope your mommy is doing great today.
I had to laugh about your dragging feet comment. I, too, work a lot better under pressure.
In fact, I have quite a few people coming at different times today to look at our house, (we're selling) and I've still got to clean the bathroom and do laundry and take a shower, all before 11:00 a.m. But what am I doing instead? Yep, reading the chapter blog and answering stuff. See the big L on my forehead?
As far as the challenge goes, I've not been writing as much as I want to, but still, I'm thinking all the time and writing mentally. So that counts for me right now. :)
Hope everyone's weekend is productive and happy, and for crap sakes, I hope it's healthy!!
Get well all you relatives of my writer friends!! ;)
What a week. I started off with a roar and limped in at the end with a whimper. Sigh. Losing my precious puppy dog threw me off, plus I'm trying to get ready for my son and and grandson coming from Denver to spend Thanksgiving with me. But yesterday, just after I got home with about $300 worth of groceries from Costco (my son has a hollow leg), I get a call from my son telling me Zack (my grandson) is sick with what sounds like the flu, and they may not be coming after all. Their flight is tomorrow. Or was. Shoot me now.
Alice, I hope your mom's doing better and that she can go home soon. Thanks for the ecard, by the way! That was so sweet of you.
May we all have a lovely, memorable Thanksgiving holiday.
I got my GH entries in the mail yesterday. Almost didn't. I had a list of errands that included the post office, but my truck wouldn't start. The wonderful people at Les Schwab gave me a jump then followed me to their store and charged my completely dead battery.
Lisa had encouraged us to set goals for the month of Sept. and I didn't come anywhere close to meeting mine. I WILL get this second MS revised before the end of the year. And shop. And decorate. And entertain the kids for Christmas break.
I hope.
Ack! Selling your house, cleaning the bathroom, doing laundry...no wonder you're spending your time looking at blogs! Good luck, and yes, writing mentally counts, at least I think it does!
Karen, $300 worth of groceries -- I sure hope some of it can go in the freezer! Maybe the flu symptoms will disappear and they'll be able to come. I hope so, and thanks for warm Thanksgiving wishes. Same to you.
Kendra, the list of things to do is always longer than the time in which we have to do it. Esp. with little kids around to trip over and do things for. Good luck and congrats on getting the GH in the mail. It sounds like you entered two! Wahoo!!!
Thanks, Alice. Yeah, lots can go in the freezer, except for the produce and I could never drink that much orange juice. Rick would drink a quart a day when he was a teenager. There's other stuff that will keep for when they can make it out. I keep waiting for the phone to ring to let me know one way or the other! It's driving me nuts!
Geez, sounds like everyone has had a crazy week!
I don't know what to call my week. Most of it was spent dealing with the fallout of announced layoffs at work. That meant emergency all hands and staff meetings to make sure we knew where we all stood, but of course at this point management doesn't really know, so mostly it was, "here's the timeline, that's all we can tell you." The names have to be into HR on Dec 8th, but we (the employees) won't be informed until the last 2 weeks of January. My favorite part of this are the frequent reminders to "try to keep focused on work, because there's nothing happening until January," because, yeah, most people don't assume the worst and go into shutdown mode (I can't -- I have a major project due on Dec 7th).
I did, however, make sure I wrote something every day (my "nanowrimo" goal), even if it was only a couple of paragraphs. And the best part of the week was the chapter meeting. I can't tell you how much I got out of the critique session. I really enjoyed all of the work that we discussed and I was impressed with all of the suggestions given -- this is such a talented group!
Debbie -- I'm sorry to hear what you're going through at work. I love that whole mentality that encourages people facing a major life change to keep their chin up for the good of the company. Hard to concentrate when you don't know what's coming. I mean, if you have small kids, how would you know how to spend for Christmas? Everyone laments the store owners not having a good season and a lack of faith by consumers and yet, hello, what's to have faith in right now (economy wise?)
Oh dear, I did go on! Good for you for keeping writing. Critique groups can be invaluable when starting out in particular -- perhaps you could find one or create one!
This is me with too much time in the hospital! (mom is doing okay...)
Geez Louise, Karen! Sorry about the sucky stuff in your life right now. I hope things get better for you, FAST!
I'm praying your grandson will get better so they can come for Thanksgiving after all. *fingers and toes crossed*
As Genene says... Cyber hugs and chocolate!
Debbie, sorry to hear about the corporate idiots you have to deal with, they're all so irritating. *rolling eyes*
And hey, if you want, we can all bring an extra non-perishable canned food item for you to stick on your shelf when we come over to your house for the December party. LOLOLOL *smack me!*
Alice, glad your mom is doing "okay", but hope it continues to upgrade to "terrific". Cyber hugs for you too. (((squeeze)))
Wow- everyone has had a rough week. Keep your chins up! Alice, glad to hear your mother is doing better. Karen hope your son does come, I know you've been anxious to see them both. Becky, We plan to put our house up for sale in the spring. I'm not looking forward to having to keep it looking good! I cleaned house this morning in preparation for company this week and then did the last of my shopping. I dropped the vacuum cleaner down the stairs so I had to buy a new one, DH isn't going to be happy. It's the third one in about four years. I'm rough on them.
Debbie, hopefully you won't be one of the cuts, but it is a hardship for so many right now.
I managed 5000 words this week but I'm still way shy of where I wanted to be at this time. DH is off elk hunting. between getting ready for company, I'm writing as fast as I can think. LOL
They're coming, they're coming. Squeeee! Poor little Zack has strep, but it's not affecting his ears so he can fly. I'm so excited!
Debbie, man, that's tough. I hope you keep your job. Several years ago I was laid off from job I really loved and it was such a shock. I had no idea the company was that bad off. It was a small business under new ownership and the new owners were pretty clueless about what they were doing. They ran that business into the ground. It went belly-up a year later, solely due to their own stupidity. I didn't shed a tear.
Paty, I'm pretty hard on vacuums myself. It's all the pet hair. And they make them so cheap these days, they're not built to last. I steam cleaned my living room carpet today, and man was it ever dirty! OMG! I could probably run the steamer over it again and get even more crud out of the carpet, but I want it to be dry by tomorrow.
Piper, I totally equate thinking with writing. Gotta think it out first before you can write it down. At least I do.
Prayers for your mom, Alice!
Karen, you watch, your new upturn of fate will sweep the blog and pretty soon we'll all be singing and dancing like banshees. I can "hear" the excitement in your "voice."
Have a wonderful visit!
Oh Karen!! Yea!!! I'm soooo relieved and happy for you!!! ;)
Poor little Zack. I hope he gets well soon. Have you ever heard of Sambucol or Sambuactin? That stuff works awesome. It's made from elderberries, and really, it's a miracle cure for strep and all those other winter related illnesses for kids and adults alike. It also works as a preventative. I get mine at the health food store. If you look for Elderberry extract or ask for it, someone will surely know what you're looking for.
Good luck!
Paty, I've had the same Filter Queen vacuum for the last 14 years. I'm sorry you're a vacuum murderer. LOL
In order to have a good vacuum, you have to put out some money. Mine cost me $1400.00 brand new 14 years ago. So, I guess it's like $100 a year but it's totally awesome and it's an air filter too. Best vacuum I've ever used. If I ever get the chance to have a central vac unit, I'm jumping on that one! Used one of those when I was a teen and lived with my boyfriends parents. It was great, even way back then. I didn't pay rent, so I did a lot of house cleaning. Yeah, I was awesome like that. ;)
Happy writing while the dh is out Elk hunting. Lucky!
Hi, all!
I was doing preparation for the booksigning today at Clackamas Town Center so am a couple days behind my NaNo goal. I'm at just over 30,000 rekeyed words for the month. That's 5700 or so since last week. Since the length of this story needs to be at 30,000 total and there are several more chapters to rekey, I obviously have more editing to do. And I should be seriously doing that right about now. LOL!
Instead, I think I'll cuddle with my doggies and have early night for the first time in ages. I can make up my pages tomorrow.
No one at the booksigning sold huge amounts of books and I forgot to ask how much we raised for Doernbecher. However, in addition to selling a few books, I got more names for my mailing list by giving away a book bag of goodies.
Alice, glad your mom is doing better and better. Hope she is released from the hospital soon.
Piper, good luck with keeping your house clean, especially since you have so many "helpers" who may not make that easy!
Karen, sooo glad your son and grandson will make it for Thanksgiving!
Kendra, congratulations on getting your Golden Heart entry sent off. Woo-hoo!
Debbie, sending positive energy to your situation at work. Layoffs can definitely be worrisome.
Paty, I chuckled about the demise of your latest vacuum cleaner. I've gotten rid of all the carpets in my house, so I don't have to worry about them jumping down the stairs and committing vacucide. :)
Hope you all get some writing done in spite of the upcoming holiday!
Yeaaaa Genene on selling some of your books and getting names for your mailing list!! Very cool! Hope it gets you some faithful readers and some great contacts. ;)
Hope you had a good night snuggling your doggies and getting some well deserved rest, finally. :)
Post a Comment