
Current Project: A Killer Pinot Noir
Status: Chapter One
Hello everyone! I'm Deborah Wright and I'm looking forward to being part of the blog. I'm especially pleased that my first official post is today, Veterans Day. This isn't exactly about writing, but hopefully there's some inspiration to be found within.
Heroes. They're one half of the HEA equation and our stories would be awfully short without them. We bandy that word -- hero -- about pretty easily, but what is it that makes a person heroic?
There are only a few men from Easy Company still living and not all of them were able to make it to the renunion. After the dinner, with a couple of exceptions, each man got up to say a few words. No matter their advanced age, they each stood tall behind the podium and, to a man, they all said essentially the same thing. They weren't heroes, they said, they were only doing their jobs. The real heroes were their comrades in arms who fell at Normandy and in Holland, the men they left behind in every battle. They were proud of their service, but there was no boasting or bragging, no swaggering or telling combat stories.
My husband and I had personal reasons for attending the event. We both wanted to pay honor to these men who had served our country. And in doing so, we were honoring our fathers, both gone now, who also served in WWII. My father-in-law was a paratrooper who jumped on D-Day in the same area of Normandy as Easy Company, landing amidst gunfire in Sainte-Mare-Eglise. My father served in the army in North Africa. Neither of them spoke much about their experiences, at least not to their children. Dad, if asked about the war, would invariably trot out some funny story about sandstorms and camels, nothing more, certainly nothing about the horrors he experienced nor the friends he lost.
It wasn't until after my father's death in 1994 that I learned more details of his service. We were going through his things and I came across a newspaper clipping of dad and four other young men in uniform. My mom told me they were all friends from the same small hometown in Minnesota. They'd enlisted together in September 1941 and the local newspaper had printed their picture. The thing that struck me was how young they all looked, just kids, really. Dad had just turned 19 years old that August. He was the only one in the picture to survive the war.
I learned that he served in the Minnesota National Guard, 34th Infantry Division -- the Red Bull Division. They were the first US Division deployed to Europe and my dad was on the first troop transport over, spending time in Ireland before the invasion of North Africa. I learned that he'd been a sharpshooter and had volunteered, but hadn't been chosen, to be part of a new group being formed from the 34th, nicknamed Darby's Rangers, the precursor of today's modern Army Rangers. Dad was wounded in North Africa and sent home in 1943, a first sargeant, while the rest of his Division went on to fight in Italy. He spent the remainder of the war helping train new troops.These were quiet heroes. Men who might not have come across as "alpha" males, but probably didn't strike anyone as being "beta" either. They were men from all walks of life who did what they had to do and who came back from war wanting nothing more than to get on with their lives in peace. Much the same, I'd guess, as do all who ever return from war.
So when you're wondering what qualities to give the hero of your next story, especially if he's supposed to be heroic, try adding a touch of humility. Let us see his heroic nature, but make him blind to it. He'll be in mighty good company.
Happy Veterans Day!
13 comments:
Welcome, Debbie! And great blog post!
My dad is a Korean veteran and my son went to Iraq twice.
To me there is nothing sexier than a man who is humble about his accomplishments. I'll take that over a braggart any day.
Thanks!
Lovely post for an important day, Debbie. And welcome to the blog!
Thanks Paty! My post got a little long, I think, but I just couldn't make myself cut it. :)
I'm like you, I'll take the humble hero any day over the braggart. I think there's a fine line some authors tread with their heros, between sexy competence and annoying arrogance.
Thanks Kendra!
Fabulous post, Debbie. And we're so glad to have you join us!
My hubby served in the OR Air National guard for 12 yrs. He was activated for the first gulf war when we were dating. I have nothing but respect and admiration for those who serve in uniform.
I love Cindy Gerard's military heroes because they're not arrogant at all. To them it's a job. And most of the time they struggle with what that job asks/asked them to do on a daily basis.
Welcome, Debbie, and fantastic job. I agree with everyone else about the true dimensions of a hero and strive when writing mine to make them as you suggested -- strong, practical, humble, determined. This kind of hero is not only the man who goes to war, he is the man who takes care of business, who looks after and protects his kids and loves his woman and makes sacrifices that while maybe not life threatening are still sacrifices.
Happy Veteran's Day.
P.S. Debbie, your post was not too long
P.S.S. I was just thinking about your story as I took my shower. I was thinking about what you said about after your father's death you came across a photograph and apparently your mom talked to you about your father's experiences. I love this and it sounds so familiar because I've written it or read it and it's wonderful to see it come alive. I can't tell you how many stories come to life in me where the flash point event is the uncovering of a treasure. Knowledge, jewels, understanding, deep unanswered questions -- these are all treasures. So thanks again for a post with layers.
Thanks Elizabeth! I'm truly happy to be participating on the blog. :-)
I've seen Cindy Gerard's books, but haven't read any yet. I'll have to check them out. I see she has two series going -- one about bodyguards and the other about private security. Would you recommend one over the other?
Thanks Alice!
"Strong, practical, humble, determined." Those are all great qualities for a hero. Throw in a wicked sense of humor, shake vigorously and voila! One Hero, Complex. :-)
It's all about uncovering the unknown, isn't it? At least, that's a big part of the attraction to storytelling for me -- whether it's uncovering a secret, unraveling a mystery, or just finding some knew knowledge the illuminates who I am and where I came from.
And the story about the photo is really the way it happened. I was helping my mom clear out my dad's side of their dresser after he died and found the photo and a reduced-size, laminated copy of his discharge papers in his valet box. While I learned a lot about my dad that day, what saddens me is that there's so much more that I'll never know because I didn't know to ask him while he was alive.
Oh, Debbie. That's a tough question. Because I like them all so much. The other reason it's hard is because the second series really builds off the first. So I'd probably say...read the first, first. But if you want to go with the true military heroes, read book three (To The Brink), then book six (Into the Dark), then start with the fist book in the second series, Show No Mercy. Those two in the first series are the ones that pretty much built the second series.
And if I didn't just totally confuse you...LOL...the secondary characters in To The Brink (book 3, bodyguard series) are minor characters in Into The Dark (book 6, bodyguard series). And the secondary characters in Into The Dark started her newest Black Ops Series (Show No Mercy.) I think I confused myself. ;)
Great Post Debbie!
Welcome!
I think humility is essential in heroes--especially military heroes. As everyone on the planet knows, I love Suzanne Brockmann's heroes, and humility is a big part of that.
Elisabeth--thanks, that wasn't too confusing! LOL. Sounds like they're all good. Since I'm a start at the beginning kind of gal, I think that's where I'll start. :-)
Wavy--Thanks! I think I'll have to revisit Suzanne Brockmann. I liked the first book of hers that I read, but didn't care for the second (The Defiant Hero). I just couldn't feel connected to the hero/heroine. I did enjoy hearing Suzanne speak at National, though, and I'm willing to try again.
Welcome, Debbie!
A very moving post. Glad you are joining us!
Post a Comment