Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Birds Of A Feather



I woke up at 6:50 this a.m. as the dog shuffled into the room to make sure she hadn't missed anything exciting like one of us getting up and preparing her a steak. For a second I lay there, thinking about how I'm going to figure out a plot point or two and then I sat bolt upright. (Okay, I didn't really sit bolt upright. Does anyone actually do that? How many times have I read it though? How many times have I written it? Oh, and as long as we're being honest here, I don't know for sure why the dog shuffles into the room every morning as I am not privy to her POV.)



As I was saying, I was wide awake in an instant because it was my turn to blog and I had nothing prepared. Eek! (Have you noticed how we all have little words we tend to use? Eli says eek. I say ack. Karen snorts. Danita is famous for her Ha! I'm sure all the rest of you have them too and that I'm just too fuzzy headed to recall them at this moment. Plus. we've all adopted each others...) As you may have already surmised, I still have no topic to blog about. This has happened before, of course. I've started other blogs just like this, the difference being I realize it's a cop out and eventually find a subject, but I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen this time, so please, don't get your expectations up.

Now, this is where I cleverly work in that adorable picture you see at the top. See how all those birds are cuddled together? Remove one of them and the rest look as though they will tumble off the branch. They are feather to feather and beak to beak for warmth, support, safety and comfort, or at least it appears they are. (Here's where I draw a parallel between those birds and our little ragtag group of writers bound together by this blog.) We need each other!

Yes, it's true. Take Eli's exciting reviews this month. She shared them almost reluctantly, thrilled to have good ones, a little embarrassed, it appeared, for looking as though she was bragging. All of us said, "No, please, share. Your fortune is ours, too, it feeds the dream, we want to share your good times -- we're happy for you!!"

Last spring, I got a pretty bad review that I didn't see coming. It robbed all the joy out of the book for me -- something I admittedly allowed to happen, the reviewer just expressed her opinion. Other reviewers said they loved the book, but that one negative comment from a respected source (RT) just killed me. I finally told you guys and you guys were wonderful and supportive and it helped. Bad reviews happen sometimes. You have to get over it. Compassion helps (because face it, your family mostly doesn't get it. They understand the disappointment, but I don't know if they can actually feel the pain.)

We're sent tons of cyber chocolates to one another as bad news roles in. We've danced happy dances like a bunch of crazed idiots when it's good news and we've <> our way through a hundred problems. Most of us don't even see each other that often, most of us are at different places in our careers and in life, and despite our common mantle of the romance genre, we all write different kind of stories from erotic to suspense to heartfelt to inspirational to fantasy and everything in between.

The differences between us are even more profound than what and how we write. Not all our goals are the same. Some of us enjoy the business aspects of writing, some aren't sure they want to see their work in print, some like ultimate control over their work from blurb to cover to what's inside. Some of us are totally engaged in our work until our share in its life is in other hands and then we let go and move on (that would be me.) Some embrace the longevity of their product and stick with it for the long haul, far after it hits the shelf for the first month. It doesn't matter, it's just variations on the same theme.

To finish this up and not make it a complete waste of your time, let's do a mini check-in as we missed one this weekend. I'll go first. Chapter one done. Synopsis in progress. I also submitted a workshop to Nationals at the 11th hour (literally, beating the deadline by 12 minutes...) and agreed to speak in Portland and in Redmond this spring following the March release of a book I wrote this summer. I am trying to engage myself in my career past writing books which is out of my comfort zone, and in part if not in whole, I have all of you to thank for it as day by day and month by month you all push yourselves in different directions.

So, thanks! I think...

18 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Ahhh blog day panic! LOL I think we've all had it. And we all pull out an insightful blog in spite of the panic.

As always eloquently written, Alice! I agree- if not for this huddled mass of writers in our chapter, I know I wouldn't be at the stage in my career I am right now. It's the pick me ups when things look bleak and the cheers when things are going well, that keep me working to do what I want to do and that's be a published author.

I also agree we each get out fo the group what we need to keep writing. Whether it's for publication or our own gratification.

I managed 15k words on my WIP last week. This week with some thoughts from Danita, I've been polishing the contemporary and will send it out the door tomorrow to the editor who requested at Nationals. And this week I've been PRing for my print release this Friday and my two book signings. One Friday night and one Saturday afternoon.

Congrats on the workshop proposal for Nationals and the speaking engagements. It is hard to put yourself out there. I know! but I also think it is something one needs to do, just to prove it to yourself you can.

And I love the photo!!!

Alice Sharpe said...

I will add in the mini check-in spirit that I just received the last quarter's royalty statement where I discovered the book that got the bad review did fine. I also counted the languages under foreign rights, you know how you sometimes read that an author is published in X many languages? 17. Isn't that amazing? Well, 17 countries, anyway, I imagine some of them are the same language like the US and the UK. Still it boggles my imagination.

Alice Sharpe said...

Thanks, Paty! The photo is from one taken by Eli at the Atlanta Nationals. I cropped out Lisa who was standing to my right. That was a fun night. The Reno conference was the first one out of a dozen where I actually knew people from somewhere other than conferences -- it was such fun -- and was followed by two years of rooming with Eli and Lisa -- such a treat. It's part of that little bird huddled on a branch thing.

Congrats of the word count. You are truly an inspiration! If you could find a way to bottle your drive and energy, you would be a millionaire!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Ah, Alice, I can really relate to blog panic as tomorrow it's my turn and I haven't come up with anything fascinating yet. But I'm working on it!

Cute picture and cuddly analogy. It is indeed a comfort to know fellow writers are as near as our blog or loop when we need to share good news or commiserate or simply soak up the ambience of other writers.

As for a mini-checkin, I've been doing well with my modified NaNoWriMo. My goal was to rekey and edit seven pages each day. I've done at least that many pages each day since Nov. 1.

That doesn't sound like many pages, but it means I'll reach the approximately 120 pages I need for the novella I'm working on by day 18. That will leave me time to do the editing/cutting to pare this 60,000-word draft down to 30,000 words.

It feels really good to look forward to getting those pages into the computer and getting this story ready for critique. Hooray!

Paty, I caught part of your discussion on blogtalk radio yesterday. Sounded like it was going well! Congrats on that and also for your TV appearance earlier that day. You are indeed a wonderful example of stretching your comfort zone to promote yourself and your books. Kudos to you for doing so much in this area. And I'm looking forward to your release this Friday!

And hooray for you, Alice! A workshop proposal for Nationals plus two speaking engagements and a new photo. Fantastic!

It's also time for me to ramp up the promotion for my Dec. 12 release, FEATHERS ON THE FLOOR. I've jotted down quite a few notes, now I just need to put those thoughts into action.

Thanks for the cuddle on the branch, Alice!

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene, sometimes is seems it's such a relief to have come up with a blog that it makes creating one worthwhile! And you always do a great job. I can't wait to see what you blog about tomorrow, heh, heh, heh.

Good for you on keeping with your goal.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

LOLOLOL. I know I've used "bolt upright" in a book somewhere, too.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Love the picture, Alice, and the analogy. So true, and a big part of the reason I check this blog (or try to) every single day. And congrats on being published in 17 countries. That's AMAZING!!!

Check in...grumble, grumble. I have been working on my option book. Not too much though. Still working plot and characters through my head. I reworked the first scene last night and like it much better, so now it's on to scene two. Like Alice, I'll work on the first (couple) chapters, then dive into the synopsis. Things are becoming more real to me as I work them through, but I'm struggling with an element in the whole process, which is holding me up...and which I will blog about on Friday. (How's that for a teaser???)

Oh, and before I forget...you know me so well, Alice. Your assessment of my reaction to my reviews was right on. Thanks to all of you who have been so excited to hear my news!

EEEK!

Kendra said...

For someone who had nothing to say you said it beautifully. 17 languages? Holy cow, woman!

As the newest member of this group, I'm very lucky to be rubbing shoulders with such a great group of women.

My goal is to get my stuff ready for the GH. I think I'm entering two MS; I'm not positive. 600 pages to print. My printer is already wheezing.

Paty Jager said...

First off, Alice, I forgot to say Woo Hoo on the 17 countries! How awesome is that??

Genene, Congrats on accomplishing your mini NaNO.

Eli, don't you always struggle in the beginning of a new project, working out the kinks? So you're on task. ;)

Kendra, You go girl! The Golden Heart is a great motivator.

Karen Duvall said...

Love the feathery little bundles lined up on a branch. So cute!

We've all been in that scramble for what to blog about, and I do that with my own blog all the time. I neglected it for a whole month and got an earful about it from a few devoted readers. Really embarrassing.

Alice, I so hear you regarding how we support each other. I'm so thankful for this group since I was totally lost when I first moved to Oregon 4 years ago. I left my other writers group in Colorado and my world had totally revolved around them, and I felt lost. But thanks to you guys, I got back on my writers' feet. I'm thankful for that. I'm still attached to my other group from a distance, but it's nice to have writing friends here, too.

I'm 25,000 words into the new book, so that feels great. The plot's getting more complex now, and more challenging, but I'm up for it. I talked to my agent on the phone Monday morning, and all is well on the submission front for Knight's Curse. The waiting is just so hard!

Alice Sharpe said...

Eli--have you ever noticed how similar our process is? I've been trying to figure out my plot in my head, too. The difference, I guess is, I have to talk. I have to have someone listen even if they have nothing to offer, it helps. I wonder if this is why family members are currently avoiding me....hm.....

Looking forward to your Friday blog!

Alice Sharpe said...

Kendra -- I agree with Paty, the GH is a great motivator. I'm rootin' for you! Your poor printer. Be nice to it. Pat it. Blow cool air on it. Tell it jokes.

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty and everyone, thanks for the woo hoos on the 17 countries. It just startled me in a nice way!

Alice Sharpe said...

Karen -- I thought I was older than you but when I accidentally got your blogger ID instead of collapsing the comments right now, I discovered you are 252. Honey, you are aging really, really well!

Good going on the progress and I bet it's fun to have conversations with your agent! Nice to have a partner, I'm so happy the process is underway and amen, waiting sucks.

Deborah Wright said...

Sometimes I think the best blog topics are the unplanned ones. I know I've mentioned many times how grateful I am to have found you guys. You're all an inspiration to me to keep on keeping on. :-)

I just have to add -- 17 countries? God grief! That's amazing.

Oh, and for those of you who have used the phrase "bolt upright," rest assured, it does happen. I've experienced that particular phenomena a few times over the years--usually from a sound sleep--and I can tell you it isn't a fun thing to do. Your heart races and you're usually disoriented for a few seconds. Very unpleasant feeling.

Alice Sharpe said...

Debbie, LOL, hurray, bolt upright. I've woken as you said (what was that? A sound! There are nefarious bad guys storming the house!) but I've never actually sat bolt upright. I just lay there with the racing heart and wide open eyes. Ack. It's good to know it happens...

Anonymous said...

Bolt upright is something my husband does on a regular basis and it scares the $h!t out of me every time! It's sooo annoying! I personally don't have the stomach muscles to do an upright bolt. I wish! LOL

I love this blog and even when I don't comment, I'm usually still watching and sucking up the energy that comes from reading all about your lives. I LOVE YOU GIRLS!!

Your blog topic, Alice, turned out great! I love these kind and you're such a terrific writer that everything just shines through that you're saying.

I love the little words we all use, and they do show our voice, don't they? LOL I think I use Ack, Ugh, and LOL in overabundance. LOLOLOL See? :)

Those little chickies are so adorable! I really don't like birds, but these little guys are just too sweet! Or, tweet. Ugh!

You're all so busy and making such progress! Congrats to you all! As always, you're all such wonderful inspirations to me. And that 17 countries thing, man-o-man Alice, you rock!

I've been plugging along and I'm really enjoying myself in the process. The no editing along the way thing is good for me and teaching me discipline. I need a lot of discipline. Not the smack me kind though. LOL

Today, (Nov 6) is my little girl's birthday. She's 17!! Ack!!! How can I have a 17-year-old? Sniff, sniff...

Anyway, loved this blog and to catch up on what ya'll er doin!

See ya Saturday!

p.s. I don't have time to check this comment for mistakes so I apologize ahead of time for flubups. :)

Alice Sharpe said...

Piper, it's always a treat when you peek through the lurk and say hello!

Glad to know the sitting thing is good to go. Thanks for the compliments, but more importantly, I'm so pleased for you that you are plugging along and ENJOYING yourself!!!!! That is wonderful!!!!!

Happy B-day to your baby daughter. I won't see you on Saturday as my Mom is hitting 92 and there's a family gathering planned. Have a great time and learn lots!!! May is just fantastic.