Current Project:Faith's Book
Status:synopsis
1. You will edit everything you read for ever more. Every book, every newspaper article, every child's essay, even the "Kitten's For Free" sign alongside the road (a kitten's what? It's purr? It's whiskers?)
2. You will never watch television or movies or read a book in the same way…ever again. You will either rewrite it, be consumed with envy you didn't think of it first, get furious at sloppy writing, be moved to strive harder, find prototypes for hero/heroine or wonder how this crap got made into a movie and or sold to an editor.
3. You will become a horrible eavesdropper. You will find yourself sitting in a restaurant with a friend you haven't seen in six months and urging her to lower her voice so you can overhear a very interesting conversation going on in the booth behind you. (Bonus: If she is also a writer, she will also be listening. This is why writers tend to travel in packs.)
4. You will listen to music differently. You will find yourself catching the emotion behind the words, the feelings the melody evokes.
5. You may find yourself watching movies time after time after time, kind of like raking a field until every stone has been uncovered. I'm not even going to admit how many times I've watched "Ever After," or "Sweet Home Alabama," nor am I going to offer excuses. So there.
6. You will find parallels to writing in everything you do. Genene touched on this recently and it's true. Plant a garden, make a quilt, go shopping, raise a child, drive cross country, preserve jam -- ack! The parallels are endless (and, hint, relatively annoying to non-writers…)
7. Your dreams may no longer be a way for your brain to deal indirectly with your life but become unconscious nocturnal plotting sessions. Showers will be places to rehearse dialogue. Car rides will be downright inspirational. Falling asleep may be fraught with frantic note taking by flashlight. Beware!
8. You will find yourself holding conversations with yourself, playing several parts, changing your voice, adding inflection, so moved by what your characters are revealing about themselves that you get choked up or giggle.
9. You will cross into some kind of psychedelic alternate universe where you will create pretend people with pretend problems they will heroically defeat due to your manipulations -- and you will give them the credit!
10. You will hopefully find many people along the way who want to share your imagination and your dreams. Other writers, yes, of course, but also readers who are somehow able to take more from your stories than you were aware you put in and are generous enough to let you know.
Okay, I must have missed things -- do you have anything to add to my list of what being a writer means?
15 comments:
Alice, you hit it so spot on! All of those are me!
The only thing I can add, is being a writer means you ask for more napkins at a drive-through because you don't have any paper to write down the black moment that just came to you. Or you're standing at an empty check stand scribbling madly with the pen on the squiggly plastic string to get that scene down that just came to you at the grocery store and your pen ran out of ink.
LOL, Paty, how true. I have pens EVERYWHERE and still can't find one at the exact moment I NEED it desperately! I have little notepads that I carry around and yet they are never handy when I NEED them desperately. I have even used the cell phone to call my daughter and say, "Just listen!" tell her what I just thought of, and then call her when I get home to retrieve the information. Slap me!
. . . Looking at every free moment as wasted writing time. No more "relaxing in the moment." :P
Great blog Alice!
Wavy, Oh for heaven's sake, how could I miss that one? I live there! I'm sorry you're so familiar with it, too, as it's a miserable spot to visit let alone pitch a tent.
Alice, this was beautiful and oh so true! You hit every point perfectly.
Being a writer is the blessing of being able to lapse into a fantasy world, created by you, to escape your own miserable life and make life more hellish for the characters so you feel better about yours. Did that make sense? LOL
Loved your post!
Piper, it made perfect sense and that's a little scary, no?
This is great, Alice! I identify with most of your list. I've become highly critical of the books I read and rarely finish a book anymore because I lose interest. I used to be the type who read until the end no matter how much I might dislike the book. Not any more. Sigh. I have bookmarks sticking out of dozens of books at the 3/4 finished mark.
Some points to add:
-- You find yourself zoning out when your mind suddenly latches onto that elusive solution to a plot/scene problem.
-- You talk out a scene to your cat while you brush him, talking loudly to be heard over the purring even though he can't understand a word you're saying. You're surprised the cat has any fur left.
-- You confuse your non-writer friends with requests to bounce ideas off of them for problematic scenes you're trying to write.
-- You evade constant inquiries from friends and relatives about "how's the book going?" Ugh. It's become synonymous with "How are you?" Like they really care?
Entertaining blog post as usual, Alice! I needed that today. We had to put our 16 year old dog to sleep this morning. *sniff* It's a very sad day in the Duvall household.
Oh, so sorry to hear about your dog, Karen. Why is it dogs and mothers do not fare well lately with those in our chapter?
I have nothing to add to all these wonderful additions. I identify with them ALL. Well done, ladies!
Karen--you have my deepest sympathies. I will keep you in my thoughts.
Oh, Karen, I love you additions. And I am glad to know I am not the only one with this finish the book issue. I agree -- sigh.
And oh, dear, oh dear, I am so sorry about you dog. This hits me where I live as I know the time is approaching for our 14 year old Lab. My heart goes out to you. Here's a toast to your beloved pet and the many years you shared.
Thanks, Eli. Hope your mom and Jack is doing well (I am hoping I have the dog's name right.)
I found myself reading and nodding and laughing as I realized I identify with all of your list, Alice. I'd add an addendum to #4 -- You find yourself listening to lyrics and fitting them into your characters' lives (or trying to), sometimes as part of the plot, other times as part of the backstory.
Karen, you have my sympathies about your dog. I know how hard that is -- we lost our 17 yr old cat around this time last year.
"be consumed with envy you didn't think of it first..."
Grrr. How'd Alice come up with such a perfect list? Why can't I think like that.
"be consumed with envy you didn't think of it first..."
Grrr. How'd Alice come up with such a perfect list? Why can't I think like that.
Kendra -- LOL, perfect, you clever girl!
Thanks, Alice!
I love this list! And if I had anything to add, I'd also have a knock-out blog topic for Thursday. LOL!
Karen, I'm so sorry about your doggie. I cried today when I got the dog license renewal for my doggie I lost in May. Cyber-hugs to you and your family.
Eli, how is your mom--or is it your mother-in-law? And is your doggie not well either? More prayers and positive energy to your family!
Hope everyone else's moms and pets are staying well!
Post a Comment