Current Project:Christmas Redemption or....
Status: Chapter two
Today I'm looking for help with, you guessed it, a title. Usually the title comes to me either before I write the book when the first inkling of an premise starts forming or shortly after I start the story.
For the above mentioned novella I'm not happy with anything. It's a Christmas story about a man who as a boy helped with a bank robbery and spent ten years in jail because the judge had a grudge against the hero's family. The man comes back to town right before Christmas. He learned a trade while in the prison and has formed an impressive list of clients across the state.There are people he feels he needs to redeem himself with- his parents and the young woman who's father was killed during the robbery. He didn't pull the trigger but he feels like he did.
So my question to you- is Christmas Redemption too harsh a title for a Christmas story? And my other thought was Christmas Proposal, because, yes, he proposes and marries the young woman at the end of the story.
This story is going in an anthology titled: Lawmen and Outlaws Christmas Anthology so my thought is the second title is too fluffy for an outlaw story, but the first one seems to harsh for a Christmas story.
Let your thoughts fly and have you ever worked yourself into a lather over a title? If so why?
(Some of you may say, they'll just change it anyway. My publisher has so far taken all my titles and they usually don't change them unless it is already used.)
8 comments:
I really suck at titles. In fact, if a publisher keeps my title, I'm stunned. They kept The Baby Season, which delighted me and My Sister, Myself, a title I also liked. Other than that, it's been years since I saw my own title on a book. Lest this sound like I have no control over my work, I should be clear in stating they always ask for my suggestions and they always make sure I'm happy with what they propose if I come up with nothing. Since they're the marketing experts and I'm not, I'm pretty easy to work with.
I don't think of "redemption" as a harsh word. In fact, it's a word of hope, isn't it? What I suggest is that you find out what the other books are titled and make sure half of them aren't using the word "Christmas." The only other suggestion I have is to try to think like a reader. What would draw you in? What would sound ponderous or depressing? What words convey the spirit of your book?
Sorry not to be more help.
Paty, I think this is a terrific title. I'm horrible at titles. My books are book 1, book 2, and etc. until I need a title for a contest or such.
Alice and Kendra, I love coming up with the title. I can't work on somethign it it doesn' have a title. Weird, I know....
I think part of me is worried(Alice) that the other story titles will have Christmas in them too and I don't want to be so enamored of my title that I can't think of something different if that happens, so I'd rather have an option of two I can fall back on that I also love.
Wish I could help, Paty, but I pretty much suck at titles, too. On a rare occasion, a title I like will come to me right away. Usually, though, the title of my current WIP changes frequently while I'm writing. I haven't quite resorted to Kendra's solution (book 1, 2, etc.), but it's been close! LOL
I'm with Alice -- I don't think Redemption is a harsh word and I like 'Christmas Redemption' for a title. I also think you're wise in coming up with an alternative, in case the other stories all have 'Christmas' in their titles. You want your story to stand out. If you decide 'Redemption' is the word you want to use, you might play with it, like "The Redemption of _____" or "______'s Redemption" (where _____ is the name of your character), or other variations. Just a thought.
I think Debbie brings up a good point - the odds of another story having Christmas in the title are high (and it seems so many Christmas stories do). I like what she suggested - and I also like Christmas Redemption - it doesn't sound too harsh to me.
Thanks Debbie and Lisa, It seems no one thinks redemption is harsh, so I'll keep it, since it pretty much sums up my hero's goal. I just need to play with other ways to use it. He wasn't really an outlaw, so much as a misguided youth, but "Outlaw's Redemption" might work.
I like Christmas Redemption a lot. I see redemption as a really hopeful word and really fitting for the season.
Bethany
Thanks Bethany- I'm thinking Redemption is going to stay. Thank you all for your comments!
Post a Comment