
Current Project: bodyguard book
Status: struggling
I am joining the promotional bandwagon. The prize is a three month old puppy (photo above).
All you have to do is read one of my books. Like the next one, for instance, although since it's not out until October, perhaps you'd rather read an already published book. Well, maybe category isn't your bag. In that case, go ahead and read someone else's book. If you're too busy to read someone else's book, then a magazine will do, and no, silly, I don't mean the whole magazine, just an article. That's fine. Or the caption under one of the political cartoons. Yeah, that's good. What? No magazines at your house? How about cereal. You have cereal, don't you? Everyone has cereal. Go ahead and read something on the cereal box.
If I'm still striking out and you are reading this blog, then that will do. You are officially entered into the Puppy Prize Contest. All you have to do to win is show up at my house (or maybe I could meet you half way. Bring thick gloves, ear plugs and treats.) * Keep in mind promotional prizes are non-returnable.*
We chose to get a puppy on such an emotional level that in retrospect, I can hardly believe it. Suffering from the loss of our beloved pet, we wanted a dog that looked almost exactly like her. Having lived through an old dog's degeneration, we wanted a baby, we wanted vigor and life and challenges. We got it.
But looks are a tiny piece of any animal. I assumed when you bought a certain breed you would get that breed's characteristics and that's why we chose a lab. But this puppy didn't read the lab handbook. She is what she is, a separate and unique individual and I think if we can live through the next two years she'll be a terrific friend (this, btw, is the daily pep talk my dh and I give each other every afternoon about four o'clock.)
For instance, the dh was watching this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v4QrX1GOR4
with the volume turned way, way up. Bonnie, in another room, heard the puppy sounds in the first few seconds, ran into his office, jumped up to watch the screen and then tried to jump on the desk to get to the puppies. You could almost hear her shouting, "Friends!" Pens and papers and books went everywhere and she escaped with a permanent marker which we (thank heavens) retrieved before she figured out how to get the lid off. And this was one of the cute things she does. However, since I am running a contest here, I will end with cute. You don't need to know about the howling.
Seriously, I am dragging you through this blog to get to this point. People chose cars, clothes, lovers and pets for reasons, and many of the those reasons are emotional (if you chose shoes solely for comfort, why would you buy four inch red stilettos?) Think of a current or recent h/h and give them a pet and tell us why they chose that particular kind of pet. Can anyone forget Stephanie Plum's hamster or the Golden Retriever named Bob she shares with Joe Morelli? Your h/h pet doesn't have to actually show up in the book, but what would appeal to them or would it have just happened -- for example, inheriting a grandmother's toothless, onerous toy poodle named Ignatz and trying her best to give it a decent home would say a lot about a heroine. It might say even more about a hero.
As for me, I'm off on a whirlwind blog tour promoting my new contest. Don't forget to read something.
15 comments:
My children tell me the picture of the puppy is adorable. I will have to take their word for it as I'm suffering from sudden onset hysterical blindness (SOHB) and, sadly, am incapable of reading. For some reason my ear canals have swollen shut and I find myself in a world of silence as well, I can't even hear enough to be read to. Don't worry about me, though; I'll muddle through. How long till your contest is over? That's about how long the doctor thinks my condition will last.
Uh oh. Trouble in paradise. Been there with Pupzilla, who's still a pill albeit a more tolerable one. We, too, had regrets immediately after adopting our 4 week old border bully pup. She's a handful x 10. I certainly feel your pain, Alice. We'll never get a puppy again. Adult dogs for us from now on.
I'd enter your contest, but I'm all pupped out for now. :) Good luck finding your fur baby a new home!
Dear Daughter -- LOL, sorry, sweetheart, you answered first and I know you read it. What a perfect solution! I can visit her sometimes!
Karen -- She's simply a handful and a half. I keep thinking of you going through this in the middle of the snowy winter. At least we have good weather and the dh is building her a fence giving her many opportunities to explore. Nice to hear from someone glimpsing the sun at the end of the storm, however.
Good to hear from you. Do you ever put pets in your books?
Alice, I almost always put pets in my books and considering the kind of books I write, those pets are often on the bizarre side. The pets in Mystic Taxi are demons, but lovable ones. :)
Aw, how can that adorable little fur ball cause so much trouble???? She is precious!!!
And I'm with Dear Daughter. I suddenly can't read or be read to either. Must have been that darn surgery...
Alice, you and Danita need to set up a play date between your puppies. That might wear her out for one day.
I'm thinking the h/h in my Christmas Novella would have a cat.Well... Tessa found it in the alley and has been keeping it in the storage room where she's been staying unnoticed until Van purchases the store. So he not only gets a mouser he finds a wife living in his building.
Home!!! until Saturday...
Oh my heck, that pupster is tooo adorable!
Alice-- I'm also having a contest. It goes like this... If I win your contest, then you automatically win mine; my prize giveaway is you get to take my 5 kids for one full week. Isn't that wonderful? They're good at doing chores and can readily help your DH with the fence building. I hope I win your blog contest so you can win mine! *crossing fingers and squeezing eyes real tight*
Eli-- I don't think I've ever seen anyone get as much mileage out of a surgery as you are! Hope you're feeling much better.
Paty -- Thanks for commenting on what kind of pet and how it came to be in your book (or will come to be in your book.) The premise sounds like fun. Cat's are great in books, the two just seem to go together, don't they?
Piper -- Oh goodness, I not only caught whatever dear daughter has but now I seem to have Eli's condition as well!
Five kids. Still better than one uber puppy (who also helps the dh with the fence...)
In some ways, having a puppy was harder than having an infant. And while I sometimes long for a newborn, I do not long for a puppy. In fact, I'm typing this with my eyes shut lest I accidentally read.
The pet question is a really good one. My current hero *might* have a dog now, thanks to this exercise. His mother died when he was 8, and he and his father got the dog about a year later. I'm thinking that they went to the humane society, simply because that's where I send all my pet owning characters :) And they got a chocolate lab because he reminded him of a dog in a TV show. Heroine #1 has no pets b/c she has had to move too often. Heroine #2 has a cat. She wanted a dog and the cat was a compromise. She picked her cat b/c the scrunched in face made her laugh. She likes to do LOL Cat captions featuring her cat.
Oh and Alice, our dog wears herself out with soccer, frisbee, tennis ball, etc, and we installed a tether ball in our yard b/c she is a freak. If you would like her to teach your puppy how to wear herself out with minimal effort from you, we'd be happy to help! And you know that Hurricane Tavy LOVES puppies. Temporary puppies that is :)
Wavy -- I love what you're going to do *maybe* with pets in your new book! I love that the boy chooses a dog that looks like one on a TV show -- that's so real.
Yesterday I took Bonnie into the vet for a booster shot. I opened the door, she jumped, the door flew wide, the four women having a conversation inside turned in unison and their mouths dropped open. And these were the people who work there, the vet and her assistants! Bonnie went crazy. Wiggled and squealed and nipped and barked and lunged and just went NUTS. She LOVES people and animals but she's too much, she's over the top, at least for the first five minutes. I shudder to think what she could do to your beautiful rosy cheeked baby girl. Ack!
The vet's office, btw, were all shaking their heads in sympathy when I left. Pathetic.
Meanwhile, puppy gets two walks a day and plenty of exercise (A gallon Odwalla OJ container with a big hole cut in it is her new favorite toy... and sleeps through the night. Mostly, she's pretty good except for when we're around new people and animals and when she first wakes up and after dinner -- never mind.
OMG! Alice! We have the same dog. Our dog (border collie/black lab mix/humane society special) also just LOVES everyone. SO MUCH! Even now, at a age five, she must lick you, and bring you a ball, and another ball, and once you throw it once, you are her new friend for life, and she will run circles around you. And this is an improvement from puppyhood. Tavy, however, has grown up with crazy dog and calls all dogs SIT-SIT because that is what we tell the dog to do over, and over, and over.
Post a Comment