Saturday, August 08, 2009

Saturday Check-In


Current Project: Unnamed book
Status: Don't ask

Okay, everyone who plays along, it's time to fess up. Did you get done what you wanted to get done or are you a %$#@!!* slacker like me?

One or two brain cells did devote themselves to a panic attack this week which I am taking as a sign the summer thaw is beginning. Any time now. Actually, what I think happened is this: I think my muse took a look at Eli's muse off loafing in Aruba and decided, what the heck, I haven't had a decent vacation in years. No doubt about it -- the two of them are sitting on the beach, sipping some dynamite concoction, hailing the cabana boy for refills, having a high time.

Note to muse: get back here.

Your turn.

12 comments:

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

LOL, Alice! Looks like not only did everyone's muse join yours and Eli's in Aruba, all our check-in folks went there too.

Actually, I had to look at last week's check-in to see if I had made any progress. Still waiting for my office downstairs to be finished--but it's so close! Then I can get my storyboards back up on the wall for my nine-book series.

Also did some more plotting this past week with Chris Y. and Chris K. for our St. Patrick's Day 2011 anthology. It's going to be a fun one!

Hope your muse returns soon! :)

chanceofbooks said...

I am here. Barely. It was a rough week. My dad was in the hospital, and I really wish I was someone who finds solace in work, but instead my muse has a long standing history of heading for the hills at the first sign of trouble.

However, I did get my golden rose entry out and have golden pen ready to go next.

And I had a major epiphany this week. Tavy is going to be two next month, and that means that it will have been two years since I have had a new finished WIP. Also, it has been two years of trying to write a synopsis for and trying to polish my last WIP (the "funeral" one, Alice). This week, I actually managed to write a decent rough draft synopsis finally, only to finally see clearly every single one of the book's shortcomings and to realize what I have known all along: it's not fixable. Or if it is, I no longer want to do the fixing. I've been playing the contest game with it, hoping that someone loves it more than me and that someone sees potential where I don't and that's just sad. I'm considering holding a memorial service for that WIP, give it a fitting burial under my bed, and then it's done. And I feel kind of free for finally deciding that; however, it does mean that I have to light fire to my keyboard to get a new WIP ready for GH.

chanceofbooks said...

And I hit send on that comment and went, "BUT, But, but, . . . but . . . MAYBE???" The Funeral WIP is like a boyfriend I just can't quit. So um, yeah, 95% over that WIP. Maybe.

Anonymous said...

Late checking in...

Friday, my DH dropped me off at the local Starbucks where I ordered a chocolate/caramel frappuccino grande, found a comfy chair in the corner and wrote for 3 FREAKIN HOURS!! Yay! Go me!! As Wavy would say. :)

Only drawback was it was freezing-ass cold yesterday and SB's had their air-conditioning set to South Pole Mode. My poor little fingers typed as fast as they could despite the icicles hanging from them. *brrr*

And of course it's 71º and muggy outside tonight. *rolls eyes*

Today, I made 4 pies. 2 pumpkin & 2 peach. It's my baby's birthday. He's 6! And he lost his first tooth just the other day. (((shudder))) That stuff totally grosses me out! But, happy birthday, Lach!

Anyway, he wanted pumpkin pie for his b-day so I made those, and my DH and I went to pick peaches this morning, thus the peach pies. We're taking said pies to the in-laws tomorrow and celebrating all the August birthdays at once. Yup, we gots us a lot a those in this here family. Must'av had some COLD nights in November and December to get all those August birthdays. LOL

Alice--Here's hoping your panic attack turns into somthing positive!

And knowing Eli, she LED the 'troops' TO Aruba, along with all the muses. She does like herself a sunny vacation. LOL

Genene- Hope your office is finished soon. How frustrating! And cheers to your St. Patty's Day anthology with Chris/Chris. :)

Wavy-- Sorry about your dad. *sad face* And hey--you've been very busy with Miss Tavy so give yourself a break. She's a great reason to be where you are right now in your writing world. *Says Piper as she jumps for joy that her 'baby' is going into kindergarten next month!* Good luck deciding what's best on your funeral WIP. It's hard to put some of our WIP's down. *as in shoot the damn things and bury them kind of 'down'. LOL

Okay, getting punchy so I better go to bed. Long day of church and birthday celebrations tomorrow.

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene -- You behaved like a writer this week! Working on your office, plotting books with other writers ... I'm jealous. I remember when I was a writer.

Frankly, I think part of my issue is this: I am the kind of writer who needs to make sure the foundation is very stable before I start building on it. As this book is connected to the book I just submitted through a character or two, and since I am aware of the shortcomings that need to be addressed in that book during the editing process, I'm having trouble moving forward.

That's my story.

Alice Sharpe said...

Wavy -- Sorry to hear about your father. Hope he is doing well and maybe even home now?

Yep, it sounds as though you're addicted to that funeral book. It's like love gone wrong. So hard to walk away when hopeful tendrils still twine though your heart, but fear not, I have a cure! Start another book. Invest yourself elsewhere. Don't take phone calls from the characters in the funeral book, don't answer the door to their pitiful knocks, don't look back.

Congratulations on getting one entry out and another almost ready and I agree with Piper. It's not as though you've been sitting around twiddling your thumbs for the past two years!

Alice Sharpe said...

Piper -- Yea for you! Three hours while freezing to death is like five hours when you're warm because you tend to type faster to try to stave off hyperthermia. Last winter there were times when my fingernails seemed to be polished -- they were just blue from cold. Anyway, You rock!!!!!


Happy birthday to Lach -- hope you all enjoy the day's festivities. And a kid who would rather have pie than cake for his birthday is a kid after my own heart.

Paty Jager said...

Hi all,

I was at a grad party for my SIL yesterday near Silver Falls. She now has a doctorate in pharmacology. And has raised six kids. It's been along process but she has attained her goal.

I, however, didn't attain my goal this week. I eeked out a chapter on my new WIP and did a ton of research. Company arrived on Thursday and will leave on Tuesday, so that tells you how much will get done this week.

Genene, congrats on the brainstorming and getting close to finishing your office.

Wavy, congrats on the contest entry out. It sounds to me like you need to give your funeral story a proper eulogy and move on. If you have found that many flaws, I'd invest your time in a new project. JMO

Piper, Woo hoo on the writing! Sorry you froze.:( Congrats ont eh birthday and yum on the peach pies!

Hang in there Alice, you know everyone comes home from vacations, your muse should be showing up soon.

Paty Jager said...

Oh, and Wavy, hope your dad is doing better!

chanceofbooks said...

Thanks for the well wishes for my dad, everyone. He's home now, facing a long recovery, but doing better.

Way to go Piper! Writing even with frozen fingers!

I forgot to make my goals for the week:

1) survive the hell that is the final week of grading
2)Get the Golden Pen Entry out the door
3) Write a Dr. John letter to the Funeral book--look for this in a future blog :P
4) Pick a WIP and do something reportable.

Lisa Leoni said...

I like your status, haha! I'm so glad your dad is home, Wavy!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Dammit...so THAT's where my muse went! I should have known she was off cavorting with yours, Alice.