Sunday, August 16, 2009

SUNDAY CHECH-IN


Current Project: Bodyguard Book
Status: Page seven, at last

Time to fess up and see who's been naughty and who's been nice. Okay, okay, not really, I'm just a little giddy that my brain is finally working again, ideas are jutting through the drifting ground fog, characters are beginning to take shape and other than the fact there's a yawing expanse of unplotted story, there is hope. I think.

I talked to two friends this week, one in Texas and one in Colorado. One helped me realize one aspect of what was missing and one helped me see another. They both write for Intrigue (as a side note, I heard the Intrigue line is the second best selling line at Harlequin. Happy days. This information came from a conversation at nationals -- another reason to hit those conferences. Can you say Nashville?)

This woman also pointed out the fact that the book I am plotting now is part of a series being carried through several months with many authors, the common thread being bodyguard. Believe it or not, I never think about this kind of thing, about the publisher promotion that goes with it, about the book-club advantages -- take Elisabeth, spin her around, and you have me, her opposite. It's embarrassing. My goal is start looking outside the writing.

I also brought my husband up to speed with what I have so now I'm prepared to move forward which is nice seeing as I have just two weeks left. Before this week, I couldn't even talk about this book, I just wasn't ready. I don't know what changed -- if I did, I'd try to figure out a way to duplicate it. Maybe it was just that enough time passed between projects that I could sort of reset my internal story teller.

I've rambled on enough -- your turn.

13 comments:

chanceofbooks said...

Yay Alice!!!! Progress is awesome! And I'm a huge fan of books that do a common theme--it's one of my favorite things about category books.

So this week, I missed the cutoff for Golden Pen b/c they reached their 150 entries too quickly :( However, I also received my contest scores from the Rebecca (I entered the soon to be laid to rest Funeral book). I really recommend this contest. They were awesome about keeping in touch and the feedback was very detailed. But, the funny thing was that two judges differed by nearly 40 points! So, we know that I have a strong voice :P Also, no one fell over themselves with the hidden brilliance of the book. Both judges had problems with the pacing and the secondary characters. Pacing seems to be my bugaboo, and in this particular WIP, it's a problem throughout the book and stems from the basic plot concept. So, my decision to give it a decent burial stands.

The good news is that all of the stories I have on deck have much tighter plot arcs and less inherent pacing problems. I've picked a new WIP (It's a new YA, and I have tingles thinking that this could be the ONE, but I'm also freaking out that my meager talents aren't going to do it justice :P). I've got other projects itching to get a turn, and I'm excited about putting ink on the page.

My goals for the week: 1) Give my new WIP the full-on Mary Buckham treatment with all the worksheets. Try to catch pacing problems before I start. 2)Write the obituary for the funeral book as my blog this week. 3) Check in with September Contest (For the previous YA) and make sure that they aren't filling up. I don't want to repeat my Golden Pen mistake.

Geez that was long! Apologies!

Alice Sharpe said...

Wavy -- No, not too long, I enjoyed every word!

Sorry you missed the cut off but that's great you got such feedback by the Rebecca. 40 points seems like a huge spread and serves as a reminder how subjective voice and style are. But pacing is pacing and at least they agreed on that. I think you are so smart to write up a synopsis or whatever you want to call it -- a treatment, maybe, although that sounds like it requires a doctor's office -- before you get too deep. There is always rewriting in a book, rethinking, replotting, etc... but it can turn into an unruly beast at times and kill momentum.

What I just figured out a few minutes ago is that this book is either a mystery or a thriller and if it's a thriller, there can't be a baby (with this plot) and yet my baby books sell better and I like writing them. There's always a new dilemma behind every tree.

Your talents will do your wonderful new idea justice -- if you fall short, you'll hike up your pants and wade in deeper. I have ultimate belief in you. If you can meet head on the hurricane known as Tavi, you can beat a measly story into submission. Have faith.

Can't wait to read your blog on the funeral book. Am busy making sure there's something clean AND BLACK in my closet so I can dress appropriately. Sniff...

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Congrats, Alice, on seeing your way through the fog!!

I'm going to be rejoining the world of working writers this week now that my promo stuff for HEAT is done and we're back from vacation. I have 3.5 mo. to get this book done, and I need to get cracking.

I edited the option proposal this week and am rereading it today to make sure the changes make sense, then it'll go to my agent tomorrow. I also wrapped up my contest(s) this weekend and just have to send out a few books, then I'm done! Doesn't sound like a lot...but it's a LOT off my desk.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Wavy - sorry to hear you missed the deadline on the Golden Pen. I'm amazed they filled up so fast. Most contests are having trouble getting enough entries.

Very excited about your YA proposal. I'm a firm believer in trusting your gut, so if you feel like this could be THE ONE, then go with it. I felt that way with FURY and I'm so glad I didn't shelve it in favor of writing something safer.

Anonymous said...

Woot! Woot! to you, Alice!! Glad to hear your naughty muse is back and hanging her head at leaving you the way she did. The little wench! LOL

It sounds like you're totally in-tune with what you should be writing about since you're going with the Bodyguard theme. Interesting how it worked out that way. Very cool.

Wavy-- Happy burial, and all that rot. :) Bummer that you missed the GP cutoff, though.

Yay!! On your new tingles with that YA you've picked up; I hope this is THE ONE, too!!!

I'd be glad to be a beta reader or crit partner for you on it if you need someone who's familiar with YA. Just let me know. :)

I'm hoping to get back down to Starbucks for a few hours of quiet to write again this coming week; meanwhile, I've been plotting along in my head while I cook, clean, etc. I keep jotting things down so I'll remember for when I actually have time to concentrate on the writing part.

My goal for the week is 10 more pages. I think it's a good, attainable goal for me. *crosses fingers*

Anonymous said...

Eli-- You were commenting the same time I was so I didn't see yours. ;)

3.5 months!!! ACK!! You're right, you better get yer butt busy, girly! But isn't where you are in your life a nice place to be? *grin* (rhetorical question)

I hope you're feeling strong and healthy so you can get your book done on time. Best of luck!

chanceofbooks said...

Alice--

What if the baby is off-stage? Then they can still put a baby on the cover, but you can keep the action brisk and thriller-esque. I.e. The baby is missing, or in someone else's custody. What if the mother gives the baby to a relative to keep it safe while hiring a body guard for herself. Or baby is in evil ex's custody?

chanceofbooks said...

Piper--Will be taking you up on that. :P Is your latest a YA too? I still remember your blog exercise where you took a simple exercise and made it totally yours--a girl waiting for graduation, sweat stains and all. One of the funniest, best short bits I've ever read. I re-read Megan McCafferty's Sloppy Firsts series this week to get me in a proper YA frame of mind.

Anonymous said...

Aw shucks, Wavy. *blush, grin* Now you're making me all teary eyed. *sniff*

Gee, that's so sweet of you to say about my "bit". What a wonderful comment to wake up to today! Thanks for the confidence booster. Really. It's made my entire day. (((Hug)))

And yeah, send me stuff whenever you want. I'd love to read for you. I've never read Megan McCafferty's books. I'll have to go check her website. Have you read Suzanne Collins "Hunger Games" yet? It's fabulous!

Deborah Wright said...

Alice, I'm a day late, but I wanted to post my status--if only to start getting back in the habit!

I have made cautious and minute progress on 2 WIPs. Yep, 2! Just as I was getting ready to really dig in on the story I've been writing backstory/thinking about the last few weeks, a very strange thing happened. A very strong and demanding character showed up and demanded that I listen to what she had to say. I don't want to lose momentum with the current WIP, but I also don't want to lose this character -- so I'm trying to juggle both for the moment.

I'm thinking this will be the subject of my blog post this week!

Alice Sharpe said...

Eli, I'm glad you're accomplishing the things that need being done. Considering what your summer has been like, I think it's amazing.

Piper, I agree with Wavy-- I still remember that piece, too. Such a strong voice.

Debbie -- Oh, man, I can't wait to read your blog. Now I have two to look forward to this week!

Alice Sharpe said...

LOL, look down the pictures on this page -- we all look as though we're dressed for Wavy's book eulogy!

Anonymous said...

LOL--You're right, Alice. Weird!