Saturday, August 22, 2009

SATURDAY CHECK-IN


Current Project: Bodyguard Book
Status: Chapter Three, some of synopsis

Another week has gone by. I heard from my editor yesterday that the copy edits on the last book are on their way and they would like them returned to NY by Thursday. Good grief. It's not her fault -- it's no one fault, it's just the way it rolls, but yowsa. If they come today I think I'll scream. If they don't, I think I'll still scream.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get the hero of this book very straight in my mind because he's a character in the book I am about to do the copy edits on and I don't want to have him do or say something (or even look a certain way) that doesn't glide between books. The dh is off on his annual golf soirée so I am in charge of what is now about twenty-five pounds of teeth with a tail. Where we got the puppy from hell, and why, seems a mystery to me right now.

So, this is a heavy duty working weekend for me. How are you doing? I noticed Paty checked in yesterday on the loop since she's off dragging sprinklers in Princeton again. How was your signing, Eli?

4 comments:

chanceofbooks said...

I just did Eli's fun post, and I realized that for the first time since my last YA I have an effortless tag line. GO ME! I'm deep into my Mary Buckham worksheets of doom in plotting this YA, and I get more excited and antsy to start writing everyday. Right now, I'm wrestling with whether or not to give the main character a time deadline for achieving his goal (his goal is to get a particular girl, and I'm thinking he wants her to be his date for his father's wedding, but I'm wondering if I should up the stakes further with a bet/challenge. Thoughts?). I'm also doing some research into what teenage guys are into right now, which is really fun.

Also, this week, my previous YA finaled in the Golden Opportunity Contest. I really believe that this is the universe rewarding me for letting go of that WIP and showing me that YA is where I need to be right now.

My goals for the week--get the revisions done for the contest and go ahead and do the next contest entry. And I'd like to have a completed outline (or decide if I'm going to plot into the mist :P)

Alice Sharpe said...

I forgot to mention goals. The edits did come today -- goal, get them done by the end of the weekend, have the proposal done by the end of the week.

Alice Sharpe said...

Wavy -- High stakes and pressing deadlines are a very good thing. For one thing, they help with pacing. They always give you a place to come back to -- am I keeping the character's focus on his/her goal? It's been my experience that most teens feel undervalued, overwhelmed, misunderstood and maligned at least some of the time which is why their stories are so compelling. It's their focused passion that appeals to the kid in us all.

Cosmic rewards are another good thing. Congrats again.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

The Powell's book club meeting was great, Alice. Thanks for asking. I posted details about it on my blog...www.elisabethnaughton.blogspot.com...but I'll mention here that I talked WAY too much and I'm paying for it today. Throat is sore and voice is REALLY bad. Good thing I'm having that surgery next week!

As for my week...I didn't get as much done as I wanted, but I'm making progress. My CP read the opening of the 2nd paranormal and liked it, and I have new scenes ideas/popping. I also did some revisions on the rest of the book, so I should be able to make forward progress this week. Two steps forward, one step back, right?

Good luck on the copy edits. I'm expecting page proofs for SEDUCTION any day now. (They'll probably show up Tues. LOL)