Saturday, August 29, 2009

SATURDAY CHECK-IN


Current Project:THE BABY'S BODYGUARD
Status: Page 41

If you had told me last weekend that I would still be floundering around in this synopsis, I would have bopped you on the head with a newspaper. But here I am. If we're going to get out of here next week, then it's crunch time.

What did occur to me was that this book might be one of those that were I unpublished, I would ditch. What I mean is if I didn't HAVE to figure this book out, I might not. I might let it slip away and look elsewhere for enjoyment because at this stage, it's not a lot of fun. But experience has taught me that an easy book is not always the best book and the ones that cause the most conceptual pain can be very fulfilling. Maybe it's like raising a difficult child, maybe you're just so glad when the work is finally done that you let it go willingly, amazed it turned out so well in the end.

My plan today is to continue my chapters and make headway on the synopsis. My goal is to have a flash of intuitive brilliance and wrap everything up by tomorrow night. Barring that, I'll take what I can get.

Did you meet your goals? If you haven't been setting any for yourself, are you getting ready to start? Summer is waning, a change of seasons is hovering in the air -- always a good time to redefine and hone goals don't you think?

9 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Hi Alice, Sorry the synopsis and conception of the story is coming so hard this time.

I didn't get in as much writing time as I would have liked since I was babysitting. However I have had flashes of scenes for the novella and I'm working forward on it. Due to your Wednesday blog I've added a calico cat. ;)

It is now official, I received my contract for "Doctor in Petticoats" That's the nature of the e-book. It isn't really contracted even if you know they want it until they receive it and read it and then contract. So I now have two contracted books that will be coming to me for edits at the same time! UGH!

We leave next Friday for our 7 day Alaska cruise, then we'll spend a week with the kids and grandkids in Alaska and come home. So I'll miss the September meeting- I'm bummed about that because you will be the speaker.

So this next week while I will get some writing done- it will mostly be figuring out how to get the clothes we need in the minimum amount of baggage since the airlines now charge you for bags.

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty -- I forgot about you upcoming cruise. It's a celebration of your anniversary, right? Have a great time.

Congratulations on the two contracts. I share your ugh. Copy edits are always hard. This last one for me came on a Saturday and I overnight shipped it on a Monday. It's the way the publishing business goes. Very S-L-O-W or way too fast.

I'm sorry you'll miss the September meeting-- it would have been fun to see you. Hey, maybe I could actually also come to the October meeting? It could happen.

Congrats on the calico cat (good choice...)

Paty Jager said...

Alice, Yes this is our 30th anniversary wingding. After the summer we've had we're both ready for some R&R.

chanceofbooks said...

Congrats Paty on the Contracts and the Anniversary!

Sorry that you have a "problem child" this round, Alice. I hope it starts behaving soon.

I met my goal of getting my edits out and am pleased with this latest round of changes. I didn't finish outlining, but I did make significant progress, and the more I get into this, the more excited I am about this book. I keep uncovering new layers to my characters, and that is worth the slow outlining. I cannot wait to start drafting! I need to make some more progress this weekend, so I may check back in tomorrow to report on that.

For next week, I need to get the outline finished and a contest entry out.

I am also considering sending some queries out on the YA that won the contest. I haven't heard back from the editor who has had it since April yet. Thoughts on whether/if I should follow up with the editor? Would now be a good time to test the waters with a few new agent queries or should I wait until I hear the final contest results from this latest contest?

Alice Sharpe said...

Wavy -- good for you meeting your goals. I love your building enthusiasm for the new book and can't wait to hear more about it as time goes on.

As far as your questions go, I was hoping some of our more market savvy members might give you such excellent advice that I wouldn't have to admit I don't have the slightest idea what to. Depending on the house, April is that long ago for a publisher to have a manuscript.( in my uniformed opinion).

As for: "Would now be a good time to test the waters with a few new agent queries or should I wait until I hear the final contest results from this latest contest?" I am equally unable to offer valuable advice. But I can root you on and do trust that you'll make the right decisions!

Hope you get done this weekend what you want/need to get done.

Karen Duvall said...

Alice, I knew there had to be at least one upside to not having a book contract. LOL! Kidding. I know you'll work it out. How are things going with Bonnie by the way?

Paty, congrats on the upcoming anniversary! And what a special treat for you both. I'd love to go on a cruise. I'd also like to ride a train somewhere that travels through a scenic country side. I def need to get out more. :)

Wavy, if I were you, I'd wait for contest feedback. You want your ms to be the absolute best it can be before goes out to agents. Those opening pages are vital for grabbing an agent's interest.

As far as contacting the editor with the ms, that may or may not help. This year, editors have been about ten times slower than usual when it comes to reading and making a decision. My agent has had Knight's Curse at Tor for about 10 months and they haven't made any decisions yet, despite her nudging the editor every 6 to 8 weeks, and he's a friend she's known for years! Sigh.

I'm getting way excited to attend this year's Colorado Gold Conference. Squeeeee! I get butterflies just thinking about it. I'm on the conference committee and one of my jobs is liaison to the editors and agents who are coming. I can't wait. This event is always the highlight of my year. Yay! :)

chanceofbooks said...

Thanks for the advice, Karen & Alice.

I've made excellent progress with my plotting this weekend. I now have a really clear picture of where this story is headed and have fleshed out the characters more and more. I am so freaking excited about this one. I cannot wait to draft. I'm trying to do as much troubleshooting in the plotting phase as I can. Happy writing everyone!

Deborah Wright said...

Floundering -- the perfect word for how I feel right now, Alice! And not just on the writing front. The final legal approvals of the sale of the company I work for are looming -- the DOJ has already approved and now it's just waiting on the European Union. There's a good chance I'll know within the next week whether I'm employed or not. Even though I keep telling myself that it shouldn't make a difference in regards to my writing, it definitely has. I just feel paralyzed in so many ways.

On the other hand, I can feel those winds of change stirring. One way or another, this will all be over soon and things will be different. I'm so ready, I can almost taste it. And while I haven't been writing (much -- I've written dribs and drabs), I've been thinking a lot and I've been reading as much as I can in as close to the sub-genre as I think my story fits. In fact, that's something I've realized I've been remiss about -- reading to understand what's out there and current, rather than what I remember from several years ago.

Who knows? If the EU actually makes its decision on Thursday, I may have real goals to report next Saturday. That'd sure be a nice change.

Alice Sharpe said...

Debbie -- I knew you were facing changes at work. but I didn't understand the scope. I hope everything works out for the best.

It's odd about change. I keep remembering that line in Sound of Music when the Mother Superior tells Maria that a door closes and a window opens (or something like that.) I bet you big time that if this job ends, you will work the acceptance of change into a future book... I personally think it's one of the most compelling story lines.

I'll be thinking of you and would really appreciate it if you can let us (me) know what goes down...

And, as I know you know, writing happens 2/3 in the head.