Elissa Wilds write paranormal romantic fiction and metaphysical/new age non-fiction. She loves to write about magick (spelled with a "k" to differentiate between stage magic and real magic) because she lives a magickal life. She enjoys investigating all things paranormal and has developed extensive knowledge and expertise in areas such as alternative healing, intuitive development, Wicca, Feng Shui, and more. She's spent the past fourteen years teaching others about these and other metaphysical topics and holds Bachelor degrees in Communication and Creative Writing and a Master's degree in Communication. In addition to writing, she enjoy singing karaoke, reading, meditating, and spending time with her family. Elissa's 2nd book - DARKNESS RISING, the sequel to her 2008 debut BETWEEN LIGHT AND DARK - just released last week from Dorchester. Here's a sneak peek at DARKNESS RISING:
He is a god, and he embodies everything the word implies. Everything. That makes Aurora a very lucky woman. Because Mobius wants her—not for her ability to neutralize the dark forces of the Umbrae, or for her kick-butt approach to the Finders wreaking havoc all over Earth. No, he wants to protect her, to harmonize their separate energies, to show her exactly what it means to be perfectly attuned to another being.In a realm where creating a sexy little red dress is as simple as thinking it, the mind is the most powerful tool of all. And Aurora will use hers to tantalize her lover, outwit their enemies and defeat the...DARKNESS RISING.
Check out Elissa's website at www.elissawilds.com.
Summer is officially over. Sigh of relief. Kids are back to school. That’s good. The house is quiet. It’s easier to work. Summer is officially over. Sigh of sadness. I didn’t make it to the beach even once this summer. Not once! And I live in Florida! I started the summer with all sorts of ideas for how to use the time. I had lots of plans – much to my husband’s chagrin – for what he was going to get done around the house. Some got accomplished. Some didn’t. Not all his fault either. It seems, despite my plans for yard work followed by leisurely days on the beach as our reward – I’m just too darn busy! And I made my family just as busy as me! How did I manage to fill every waking moment with stuff to do? And then more stuff to do? And not much of it, relaxing and enjoyable? Does this sound familiar?
Here’s is what I realized. I’m an overachiever. And I clearly subconsciously expect everyone around me to be one too. Granted, I usually manage to do a lot of things at once. There was the time I was writing a master’s thesis, starting a new job, finishing a book, and became pregnant. There was the time I worked two jobs, took three or four classes, wrote a book, and taught Feng Shui and intuitive development on the side. These are just a couple examples, but my friends will tell you – there are plenty more examples from my life. Apparently doing too much is the norm for me. And I’ll bet I’m not alone. I’d bet plenty of you are also overachievers.
The problem with doing so many things at once is that you rarely get to do everything you’d like, and inevitably, some aspect of your life suffers. For me, it’s been the relaxation and fun part that has suffered. My house is clean, laundry done, book getting written, day job getting accomplished, kids are fed, but…I’m still feeling like I’m lacking somehow. I know it’s because I haven’t gotten to do anything for me. I recently read a book called Harmonic Wealth by James Ray. I loved it. He talks about our attempts to accomplish everything in our lives and how hard it is – if not impossible – to touch on all facets of our lives and keep them in balance. He gives some wonderful suggestions for coping, however. And I’ve already put one of his suggestions into practice. I make a list every morning of 6 things I need to accomplish that day. I automatically make one of those items (and I place it near the top of the list) something that is either fun and/or good for me. Examples, an afternoon at the beach, an hour on the elliptical, an hour of reading for pleasure, etc. Sometimes, I put two of these on my list. I focus on that list and that list only. If the housework isn’t on it, it waits until the next day. If I don’t get to everything on the list, I roll items to the next day, putting the ones I didn’t accomplish at the top of the list.
So far, it’s working splendidly! Granted, I’ve only been working this process for a couple days, but man – what I’ve been able to get done! And, I’ve had time for myself. Which is huge with a new baby in your life!
In honor of the release of DARKNESS RISING, I'm giving away a copy of the book to one lucky commenter! All you have to do is answer this question:
What are your tricks for accomplishing all that you’d like to get done each day?
13 comments:
Hey Elissa,
great post...I'm going to go find that book. It's the Capricorn in us that makes us want to do everything.
As for my trick...on my daily to-do lists, instead of crossing off completed items I highlite them in yellow. Yellow is so bright and postive it makes me really happy to see more and more of it, so I keep working on the list.
The book sounds fantastic. :)
My way of achieving goals is simple - I have a planner. Whenever I'm sitting next to my laptop, I write down anything that pops up that I may have to do. Every morning I open the planner, check out what needs to be done, and get it over with.
Great post Elissa!
I'm a list girl all the way, but I'm also a time girl. Like you, I work a full time job during the day. Unlike you, I don't have kids at home anymore, but I do have two doggies who think they're the babies. :)
So, the time thing. Most the time it's a timer, but when I sit down to write each night I have a particular amount of time I'm giving to the writing. Some nights it's longer than other nights.
I also have TV shows that Science Guy likes to watch together, so we do. Those nights I have to get immediately on the computer when I walk in the door, but it's working.
I can't wait for your book!!!
The book is wonderful--I love the magical references and the characters. I generally don't read sexy books, but I have to say, that part is nice too. I am enjoying reading it very much. I just hope the third in the series gets published.
About your suggestion. I always put too much on my list and feel let down when I can't do it all. Know any spells to keep me awake for 24 hours so I can completed needed tasks without dropping dead with exhaustion and at the same time a spell to keep me harmonized to completion of tasks. Oh yes, I won't forget my adult ADD pills either. Love your work, Elissa!
Maddog.
Hi Elissa. Thnaks for being our guest blogger today! As for your question: What are your tricks for accomplishing all that you’d like to get done each day?
Huh? You mean that's possible? How did I live this long and not figure something like this out?
I think I'm the opposite of you. I don't make lists -- well, hardly ever although I was charmed by Cherylm112's yellow pen idea (I like yellow, too). I have no tricks. I just kind of do what needs to get done in a semi-orderly way. If I still had children at home, however, going to the beach would get done before dishes (dishes won't take time out to visit you when you are old and decrepit and need someone to whine to...)
The exception is if I'm getting sick. For some reason, the moment I start to ache all over and realize some dastardly malaise is brewing, I turn into a place for everything, everything in its place maniac.
Fun blog; your book sounds wonderful.
Does panic count?
I'm big on control, but things have spiraled beyond my grasp of late---sometimes life insists on reminding us of how insignificant our plans can be---courtesy of endless PT, doc appointments, and the like. So, for now, I'm just riding with it. Anything else is a one way trip into some kind of mania, I'm certain.
Lists are my thing, in the normal course of things. I'd be lost without my calendar. And, starting next week, exercise is going on that list. My assets are expanding exponentially between stress and writing. Not healthy, and one of us needs to be up and about!
Hi Elissa,
Welcome to the MWVRWA blog! My trick to getting things done is staying focused and some days a list.
Or just letting things that won't kill me go- like housework.
Hi Cheryl! I love the highlighter trick. Gonna have to try that one!
Dawn - you sound very organized! And I just added Azazel to my TBR pile. I love fallen angel stories!
Hi Vicki!! You use a timer to make sure you get your writing time in? That's a great idea! (keeps you from spending too much time surfing the net). :)
Maddogg! Male romance readers rock, BTW! :) I totally get you about putting too many things on your list. Stick to 6. Then feel good if you get to 4 of them. (you can roll them over to the next day) Thanks for stopping by!
Hi Alice - Man, more power to you for getting stuff done when sick! I'm the opposite. When I'm sick, I drop everything and rest. I figure it's my body's way of giving me permission to do so...LOL!
PJ - I hear ya on the exercise. I'm adding that to my list too!
Hi Paty! Happy to be here! Re: housework...man, if only I wasn't such a Feng Shui proponent...I can't function when my house is messy. Big sigh!
I need new tricks to getting things done. I like Cheryl's high lighter idea. I also try to push back the time that I sit at the computer until later in the morning and make myself do the laundry, dishes, etc. FIRST. Our weekly check-ins here help me with staying on my writing goals, but honestly, I mostly just wing it. Badly.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Your books sound AWESOME.
Hi Wavybrains - it's a great thing to have our fellow writing friends to keep us on track, isn't it!
And the winner of a signed copy of Darkness Rising and a little something extra just for fun is....Dawn!
Dawn, please email me at author@elissawilds.com and provide your mailing address. :)
Thanks everyone for stopping by! I had a great time. And thanks to Elisabeth Naughton and the gang for having me as a guest!
Have a wonderful weekend!
You've hit on a topic that afflict lots of women--perfectionism. We feel that we have to be able to do it all and with a smile on our faces. My life has been easier since I learned to say this little word.
No.
Once you get over the initial guilt of having said it, "no" is very liberating.
That said, the tool that helps me get things done is making a list. I've also got a project manager on Word 2007 that lets me track my progress on the manuscript I'm working on, ticking off the weekly page goals as I reach them.
Darkness Rising sounds fabulous, BTW!
Best wishes!
Emily
Emily, the list seems to be the key! And yes, we women - we do try to do it all, don't we?? Thanks for stopping by!!
Post a Comment