Friday, September 12, 2008

TSTL

Dear Know-It-All Writer,

I think I have a problem. You see, I'm afraid I've become the heroine in a bad B-rated horror movie. You know the ones...those women who are Too Stupid To Live. Notice I didn't say one of my heroines, because, well, duh, the heroines in my books are always smart. No, Know-It-All Writer, I'm concerned I've slid into that den of disparity punctuated by blood curdling screams and brainless bimbos who don't think before they act. And I'm in desperate need of your help.

It seems to have started some months ago. Possibly with the acceptance of my deadline. Now that deadline is upon me, and I'm working late into the night...when the house is quiet and all things creepy lay in wait. Last night I realized how severe my situation has become. I'd worked until midnight, in the zone, typing away, not noticing the house creaking or the children snoring or even the dim sound of the TV floating down from upstairs. Exhausted, I put my laptop on my desk, shut off all the lights and went upstairs. Minutes later I was tucked in bed, the TV off, the fan running, providing that calming white noise, the DH sound asleep on his side, oblivious to the world. I closed my eyes and breathed deep, thinking through the next scene in my book. And that's when I heard a thud, followed by a clank, and a creeeeeeeeeeeeek coming from somewhere below.

My eyes flew open. I lay where I was, barely breathing, listening for what had awoken me. Nothing in the room moved. The husband was snoring softly on his side. The dog was out like a light on the floor next to my side of the bed. The room seemed exactly as it had moments before. Then I heard it again. Thud. Clank. Creeeeeeeeeeeeek.

My mind spun. Had I locked the door downstairs? Had I thought to check the garage? I'd just seen video on the news that night about a random attack on the subway in Philadelphia. Crazy people were everywhere. Though I live in a relatively safe neighborhood, bad things happen all over.

My next thought should have been the safety of my sleeping children. Or my dear beloved husband. Or even my loyal dog. But no, Know-It-All Writer, I'm ashamed to admit my only concern at that moment was the fact I hadn't backed up my wip before going to bed.

I threw back the covers and jumped from bed. With no regard for the fact I was dressed in only a tank top and underwear, I tip-toed down the stairs. My mind rationalized there could be a murderer or a rapist in the house, or...egad!...a thief!!!! I mean, I write about thieves. I know they're real! Thinking about my precious book, the last sounded a thousand times worse than enduring bodily harm. (Unless, of course, it was bodily harm doled out by a sexy treasure-hunting thief like in one of my books...No! Wait! I won't let myself go there!!)

I know this sounds bad, Know-It-All Writer, but do you realize how many hours I've put into that manuscript????? I mean, it doesn't make me a horrible person for thinking of my book first, does it?

Heart pounding, I reached the bottom of the stairs. Peered around the corner. Nothing moved. The only light was the blue-hue from my laptop screen.

I breathed a sigh of relief. My laptop was still there. No one had taken it. My brain had been playing tricks on me. All was well...

Until I heard the Thud. Clank. Creeeeeeeeeeeeeek again.

At that moment, I knew I had three choices: 1) Run back upstairs and get the DH, 2) Race to my desk and save my precious laptop, or 3) Wander around like a bad B-horror movie heroine and check out the creepy noises on my own.

You guessed it, Know-It-All Writer. Considering I was already wearing the requisite skimpy outfit, and being the TSTL woman I am, I chose option number three.

I'm happy to report, in this case, the Thud. Clank. Creeeeeeeeeeeeeek was nothing more than the teenaged boy next door coming home from a date, running back out to his car because he forgot something, then returning to his house. In my silent, dark search through the downstairs level, I DID find the garage door unlocked, so there was one moment of heroics in my blond-bimbo stupidity. But I fear this pattern of behavior is one I am destined to repeat. I do not want to be a bad B-movie heroine. Therefore I throw myself into your wellspring of advice. What, prey tell, is a TSTL writer on deadline to do??? And am I the only writer out there in this blasted predicament?

Signed,
TSTL Writer

13 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

LOL, TSTL Writer, you are certainly writing in the right genre for your talents.

I would have done the same thing. Yes, my first thought would have been "Save the book!" Not being as young and nubile as you, I would have probably worn more clothes to go secure my interests, but who knows. It's a panic moment. Take time to search for jeans and a sweater and the thief is gone with your hard work tucked under his evil arm. These are life and death decisions with only a split second to respond. I think you did as good as you could.

Maybe if you backed up?

I send stuff to my laptop although yesterday I had a rude awakening when I opened he backed-up file and found NO WORDS.

Thanks for the chuckle. And you know you are not alone in this craziness.

Kendra said...

Hmm. You had to chose between TSTL and the woman who wakes up her husband and then cowers in her bed until he comes back, glares at her and says, "It was nothing. Why'd you wake me?"

I like the first option.

Several times I've opened the door to the garage in the morning only to find someone didn't close the garage door the night before. Sometimes our door bounces back up when it hits the ground. I stand there and watch it finish every time. But someone else in this family doesn't.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

LOL, Eli!

May your manuscript be finished soon, so you won't have to make these excruciating choices. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be much help in guiding your decision, because:

--I don't have a garage, so don't have to worry about that door being unlocked.

--In finishing projects in nearly the entire house, the results of 20+ years of accumulated "stuff" populates much of the backyard and crowds the deck, so anyone who tried to get into my house would fall and break bones before they got to the door.

--I have seven dogs in my house, most of them weighing between 75-100 pounds each. Of the two small ones, one bites first and asks questions later and the other is a mixed breed terrier who takes on nutria as big as he is and shakes them by the scruff of the neck.

Glad you and your laptop are safe. :)

Lisa Pulliam said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I have nothing to add, I can't stop laughing. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

chanceofbooks said...

GREAT Post, Eli!

Perhaps you should sleep with the laptop under your pillow????? :)

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Egad, Alice! No words? Thank goodness no thief was in your house that night.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

*Sigh* The curse of an independent woman, Kendra.

(And we won't mention the fact the one in our house who has ALSO left the garage door up several times at night once left his keys, wallet and cell phone on the top of his car one night. Luckily for him, the sexy thieves from my books weren't around when he did that.)

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Wow, Genene. Seven dogs would definitely be a deterent...esp. the one that bites first and asks questions later! (Note to self...do not send sexy hero thief from book one...or book two...to Genene's house.)

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Lisa, glad I could be your days' entertainment. :) I aim to please.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Wavy, you know that idea isn't half bad. A lot of times if I'm working in my bedroom, I'll just close the laptop and slide it under my bed. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing it's there if I need to get it.

(Yes, I know. See? I told you I had a problem.)

Paty Jager said...

Fun blog, Eli!

I don't back up my work often enough and have thought a couple of times about putting my flash drives in the pocket of my robe, so if I do have to dash out of the house late at night, my books would be with me.

And I'm a little of both, I'll wake my husband up at a noise, but I'll go inspect it when he falls back to sleep. LOL

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Paty, I'm backing it up right now. And saving it to the jump drive. You have inspired me.

Yanno...they make jump drives that slide on a keyring. Might not be a half bad idea to have one of those...

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS! And I relate to the TSTL heroines. I am one of those. Well, not a heroine, but too stupid to live sometimes.

I'm always the one who gets up and sneaks around to find out what's going bump in the night. I guess I think I'm a bad ass or something. *rolling eyes*

But, I know if I had to, I'd kill whatever was after my kids or my husband. Not so sure I'd kill for my laptop and its contents, but I'd hurt somebody real bad.

No one here leaves the garage door open since we actually live in the freakin' thing. LOL

We know what to get you for your birthday this year... better yet, how about a jump drive necklace or ankle bracelet? You could start a new rage. tee hee hee

Fun post!