Monday, September 22, 2008

Igniting change, a-ha!

I've had several a-ha moments in this Story Magic workshop I'm taking. I'm sure it would be many more, but I'm having a hard time reading through the dozens of posts a day...I'll try to do that and print off the good stuff (that the instructors said about other people's posts) before the workshop ends.

Anyway, one of the best a-ha moments (and can I just say how much I love saying a-ha - my all time favorite song is "Take on Me" by A-Ha) I had was when they talked to me about which character ignites the change in the other.

The way I had written my WIP so far just wasn't working. I've talked on here about how I was hitting sort of a brick wall and felt I had to go back and change tons about the story before I could make it over that last hurdle to finish the book. In this workshop, I submitted info about my book including backstory of the hero and heroine, main points of the plot, and part of their character grids (inciting incident, character flaw, long range goal, short range goal, etc).

I hadn't really noticed this before, but the instructor pointed out that the motivations of the hero and heroine are somewhat similar, when they should be more opposing. The way I was viewing it, they were opposing. But that's because I had this whole web of things in my mind - it took an outside person looking at it with fresh eyes to help me see my book properly.

The hero and heroine did have somewhat similar backgrounds and motivations, as far as their family history and what it is doing to them as adults. She told me that one of the characters has to ignite change in the other, so they can both reach their arcs. And if they are too similar, how is one going to ignite the change?

Wow. Yes! Exactly! It's one of those things that feels like common sense, but you just have to hear it another way for it to sink in. At least that's how it frequently goes with me. So I've been reworking my hero. It's tough because I had it all lined up in my mind how he was, why he was that way. But it's going to make the story stronger by changing it.

I had another big a-ha moment a year (or two?) ago when Elizabeth Boyle came down to talk to our chapter. But for the life of me I can't remember what it was now! I remember she explained something that set off a roomful of a-ha moments. Anyone else remember?

What are some big a-ha moments you've had? And have you thought about who ignites the change in your book, between your hero and heroine?

7 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Lisa, I am so glad you are taking this on line workshop! It really seems to be helping you.

I think we all have a-ha moments and it's not usually because we're hearing or reading something we've never heard or read before but because for some reason, the stars have aligned in out brains and made us receptive to information we may have previously ignored. You have to be receptive and I think that means you have to have a point of view and that comes with experience.

All that said, the only a-ha moment I recall was last summer in Dallas at the Michael Hague workshop when he spoke of character arcs. I was plotting a book at the time, and everything he said just glittered. I've had others, I just don't remember them!

Karen Duvall said...

IMO, Story Magic is all about the a-ha! I have experienced many of those moments when doing SM and I use it for every book I write. What strikes me the most is how the fatal flaw and the denouement seem to magically go together. It's just amazing.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Lisa! Aren't those a-ha moments wonderful?

I've had a lot of them as I'm learning the craft of writing. However, like you and Alice have said, I don't necessarily remember them. They have just become part of the way I write.

Story Magic was good for a-ha moments. So was Christopher Vogler's "Writers Journey." Michael Hague was also wonderful and I want to hear more of what he has to say. I also really like the way Mary Buckham looks at writing, so am excited about our November workshop. There are others ... guess I do remember some a-ha moments!

I didn't check in on Saturday because I'm focusing on meeting my goals for September--my goals for completing house and yard projects. (Racing the weather!) So I'm going to be scarce on the blog while making a big push to get lots done. Then come October (and probably the rains) I'll be able to settle in to writing and inside goals! But I agree with you, Lisa, about loving the fall season and September in particular.

Hope you are all making progress toward your goals!

Kendra said...

I'm not having any a-ha moments in the the class. More grrrr moments.

Most of my a-ha moments come when I'm reading something else and realize "That's what was missing!" or "That's who my hero needs to be like."

Lisa Pulliam said...

Alice, I definitely regret not going to one of the Michael Hauge workshops. He's giving a workshop in Seattle on October 11. I remember you and Eli being so excited about your a-ha moments in his class.

Karen, it is amazing! I really like story magic. Even moreso, the one-on-one help is priceless. Just having someone explain your book back to you and show the gaps is so helpful - and someone that you haven't talked to about it so they can't fill in the gaps themselves.

Genene, yes they are!! Keep working on those goals! Rah rah cheer cheer! I want to read the Writer's Journey, especially before our Mary Buckham workshop because I think it takes off from that.

Kendra, grr moments? Haha that's not good! Well at least you're getting something, even if it's from other stuff. I'm in the process of going through and copying all the instructor responses in a word doc to go through at a later time and pull out helpful nuggets. Let's just say I'm not even halfway through the instructor responses and I've got more than 100 pages in a word doc. They definitely put a lot into this workshop!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I'm so glad the workshop is exciting you, Lisa!

Paty Jager said...

This sounds like the perfect workshop for you, Lisa.

I'm like Genene over the years there have been quite a few aha moments and I can't really put a finger on one of them. And I'm open to many more!

I like one of the characters has to ignite change in the other in my contemporary the hero brings the heroine out of her ice princess armor.

Good topic!