
A week or so ago, my husband was away for the night. When I went to bed, I had a moment. You've had them, too, right? Those moments when reason flies out the door? Those moments when imagination creeps in and all is lost?
Sure you have. I used to have them when the kids when were small. We lived rurally. I walked them to and from the bus stop. Some days as I walked up to meet their afternoon bus, I would "see" the accident I had just missed. The bus overturned, the offending truck spinning wheels, my child bleeding, me running to get to them….
Okay, so none of that happened. Nor did I ever arrive just in time to see my babies being driven off by a stranger. Nor did I get a call that my husband had been knifed. However, if any of those things had happened, I would have been ready. I'd been practicing.
So, the other night, as I turned off my lamp, alone except for a deaf dog with no rear-end motor strength, I "heard" someone in the house. I "felt" him creep up the stairs. My heart started beating faster, I wondered what I should do? Would the phone lines be cut? Was he standing out in the hall? Did he have a gun? I ran through the gamut of emotions, caught between fight and flight. And all the while this was happening, I was totally aware that it WASN'T happening. It was all in my head. The fear was tempered by this knowledge. It was like a rehearsal for a nightmare and I stopped to consider the emotions flitting through my head and the physical responses that occur in your body when fear (ever imaginary) sets in. It's so easy to stick a poor hapless character into this kind of situation and orchestrate her triumph or perhaps her demise, but another matter entirely if it were truly to happen to you. I began working on dialogue...
It made me wonder… not being a particularly scatty person, not one to live in fear or prone to craziness, is this a writer trait? Are these occasional dry runs part of the "what if " aspect a fiction writer has to develop?
Like everyone else, I have lived through true heartaches. The loss of a father, of a brother. The dementia of my mother. The infrequent anguish of my grown children or close friends. Illness, fear -- you can't get to my age without experiencing all of these things. In those instances, however, it's not usually the depth of emotions I recall, it's the physical details. The color of a blanket, the sound of opera playing in a hospital room, the smell of too many cut flowers going rancid. Apparently, I save the emotional response memories for fictional situations I create in my head.
But I tell you this. It was very hard to turn off the light that night and crawl into bed and I did check the phone -- just in case.
Does this ever happen to you?
9 comments:
OMG! Alice. I thought I was the only paranoid crazy person! I don't do it so much any more now that I write so much. But when the kids were little and my husband drove truck... I could come up with the most fantastical things that happened to him and I'd run these phone calls over in my head and what I'd do when they came. I spent many nights home a lone with the kids. I read till late at night so I wouldn't have time to lay in bed and make up all the worst case scenarios.
I've noticed now that I write all the time, I don't have those things crop up and when one does, I laugh about it. But you're right about the emotions and adrenaline that gets pumped just thinking about things.
Great Blog!@
Wow, Alice, you have a very vivid imagination that can draw an actual visceral response. Eek!
I've kind of had these "episodes," but I dismiss them so fast I hardly get a visual. Maybe I should entertain them more often if they're good training ground for writing an effective scene. *pause* Nah.
I do have this recurring one every winter that I can't get out of my head. I'm driving in icy weather, the roads are really bad, visibility is poor, and up ahead a semi truck jack-knifes and turns on its side, then starts careening toward me. I can't stop it and I can't get out of its way. *shudders*
It's a wonderful thing for a writer to imagine experiences this vividly! Great for writing scenes!
However, I found it just as interesting that you knew this wasn't really happening.
Glad you made it through the night!
Paty -- Ah, craziness likes company! Glad I'm not alone in this. You're right, I don't go through the scenarios like I use to, but I had just written a passage where a character woke up in a dark room and "knew" she wasn't alone. As she tried to figure out what to do, she was frightened, but she did ultimately make a decision. As I stood in my room that night, I realized how the reality of being in that position differed (and, oh, yeah, there was still no reality...) It made my skin crawl!
Good to have you back on the blog!
Karen, oh, man, the old semi truck jack knifing toward you, sliding, hit a tree, spiral down the hillside, you're injured, covered with snow, your latest manuscript is right there by your unconscious fingers, Kathy Bates stops by for a chat --
Oh, sorry, I was channeling. Well, at least if this happens to you, you'll be prepared!
Genene, honey, I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid.
Karen, oh, man, the old semi truck jack knifing toward you, sliding, hit a tree, spiral down the hillside, you're injured, covered with snow, your latest manuscript is right there by your unconscious fingers, Kathy Bates stops by for a chat --
I love this!
Okay, I'll admit to doing this as well, but why, why, WHY can't we imagine Indiana Jones is at the bottom of that cliff, shirt ripped to his waist, ripped muscles gleaming, sexy hat on his head and a whip in his hand which he uses to snag the car door open and drag us out of the vehicle turned death trap to whisk us away to some love chamber in the middle of a Tibetan palace?????
I mean, c'mon...why does there always have to be a Kathy Bates???
Excuse me? There is no Kathy Bates in my terror, thank you very much. It's, uh, Russell Crowe who comes to save me. Yeah, that's it! And he brings David Boreanz with him. And they fight over who gets to rescue me from the sealed tomb that is my car, the gasoline from its tank pooling at their feet as they yank the door with all their wonderful might. Their muscles flex and they scowl with concentration, their efforts at trying to free me from my death trap...
Hey, is it getting hot in here? Or is it just me.
Eli, LOL.
Karen, Um, yeah, your scenario is better. I like it!!!!!!
Post a Comment