(I can blog about this because my editor is gallivanting through Italy as I type and isn't paying one iota of attention to little ol' me.)
My book is nearing deadline. I have the rest of the pages worked out in my head, know each scene left to write, am roughly 5K words from finishing, and am in the midst of the tense climax. My problem? I've been having these thoughts. These little niggling thoughts in the back of my mind that go something like this...
"No one will really miss him. He's just one little hero. If he were to get shot and killed during the big scene, well, that could be a unique twist, right?"
or...
"At this point let's be honest. He's never really going to get it. Maybe the heroine should just push him off the cliff herself and save them both more angst down the line."
or my favorite...
"How can I get him back in the swamp and let that alligator take a second swipe at him??? Oooh! That way there would be no evidence!"
*sigh*
This poor guy has major issues. Not the least of which is a neurotic author who has decided he is the root of all evil. Yeah, yeah, I know. You can't kill the hero. Alice has been trying to brand that little fact into my brain, but...but...but what if it's all you can think about?
My CP (laughingly) suggested I write the scene where he dies. And I may just do that to satisfy my own morbid fantasies. But in all honesty, this is the most challenging hero I've written to date. Not in action but in thoughts and feelings and understanding who he is and where he comes from. Every time I sit at the computer, I think, "Okay, what is he going to push me on today?" And every day it's something different. He's controlling, he's obnoxious, he's moody and sarcastic, and though I want to kill him 90% of the time, yes, I do love him. I love him in spite of all those things and because of all those things. And I guess all of that is probably a good thing in the end, because it means he's three dimensional already - before rewrites. It means he's definitely different from my other heroes and not a cookie cutter variation of what I've already written. And it means he's challenging me to be a better writer.
So here's my new mantra...
I will not let him get shot!
Or pushed off the cliff!
Or eaten by the alligator!! (Although that one's still reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally tempting.)
And finally...
Somehow, whether he thanks me or not, I will give him his HEA (though I'm not entirely convinced he deserves it. Looooots of grovelling still needed on his part...mostly to me).
What's the most challenging character you've ever written?
11 comments:
I haven't written my most challenging, yet! The hero in the fourth Halsey brother book will be my most challenging.
1) because my editor already doesn't like him from book 3 which means I've set him up as someone a reader is going to have to find a reason to like ( He has been my least favorite brother all along as well) AND 2) he's blind- so I've set it up where I have to write his whole POV as a blind person. So that book which is still brewing and congealing the heroine for him will be my biggest challenge.
You know your CP is right. Maybe you need to kill him off to see how much you really do love him. Almost your own black moment.
"He's controlling, he's obnoxious, he's moody and sarcastic, and though I want to kill him 90% of the time, yes, I do love him. I love him in spite of all those things and because of all those things."
So will your heroine. So will your reader. I think maybe you need to have him come close to actually dying and the heroine, who is probably as annoyed with him almost as much you are, realizes these very facts -- that despite his flaws and because of them, there is no one else in the world she can love but him. Remember the Michael Hague comment when he said that he wants a love story where it's impossible to imagine the two lovers EVER finding happiness with anyone else? They have to have each other, they are two halves of a whole (Btw, notice how no one mentions the third party in this triangle -- the writer? )
Take from that what you will!!!
(Don't kill the hero.)
My most challenging character? I guess I haven't written him or her yet but unlike Paty who knows she has one coming and why, I've just loved all my people. I am crazy about making recalcitrant secondary characters, esp. older people with a vicious self centered streak, but they aren't difficult, they are just pure fun... as was your blog.
I can't wait to read this book, Eli! I'm still laughing at your post ;)
LOL, Eli!
I haven't had a hero I wanted to permanently dispose of. The bodyguard in my second book didn't share his deepest thoughts, etc. But that was because of his personality. Until you get to know him deeply and until he went through his growth and realized he loved the heroine, he kept his emotions tightly bottled inside.
The hero in my third book was kind of a jerk in an earlier book. However, he also showed a heart of gold and redeemed himself by the end of that earlier book, so earned his chance at a happily-ever-after.
I like Alice's thinking of having your hero almost die. Let him come face to face with being obnoxious, moody and sarcastic. He could have an epiphany or a near-death experience or a brush with the devil that convinces him he doesn't want to spend eternity with a woman who's as obnoxious, moody and sarcastic as he is.
Can't wait to hear how you figure out how to keep him alive AND give him a HEA!
Sounds like fun, Eli! I think maybe you should have the alligator bite his hand off, lol! He won't die, but it'll sure teach him a lesson.
I'm in the midst of writing my most challenging MC yet. He has a sordid and bitter past because his human family shunned him for being half demon. Then a hundred years later (spawnsters live an incredibly long time and don't grow old) they invite him back into the family again. So he's conflicted. But most confusing for him is that he's so grateful for their acceptance, he makes poor choices to gain their approval. His actions are borderline immoral, but because it's for his human family, he's willing to take chances. He's lovable and infuriating at the same time. I have no idea at this early point in the story how things will work out for him, but I'll have a great time finding out.
LOL. Y'all are so sweet to put up with me.
Paty, a blind hero sounds extremely challenging. I can't even imagine. Esp. since he's the least favorite brother, but that could be cool. He could have a eally good character arc.
Remember the Michael Hague comment when he said that he wants a love story where it's impossible to imagine the two lovers EVER finding happiness with anyone else? They have to have each other, they are two halves of a whole.
I love this, Alice. Thanks for reminding me what's most important here. And you've given me a great idea for the ending - one I hadn't thought of before. Thanks!!
Glad my angst can be your daily dose of humor, Lisa. :)
Genene, I wrote one of those guys in my last book - emotionally closed off, kept things to himself. Surprisingly, he was easier to write than this hero. (Just my luck, huh?)
Thanks for the suggestions. Ideas are a twirlin'.
LOL about the alligator biting off his hand, Karen. Oh, don't tempt me!!!
You said, His actions are borderline immoral, but because it's for his human family, he's willing to take chances. He's lovable and infuriating at the same time. I have no idea at this early point in the story how things will work out for him, but I'll have a great time finding out.
See, my hero identifies with this a lot. I think the biggest hurdle for me with this guy is that he's all about protection, but doesn't think much about his own safety. He's a homicide detective, and something he did recently crossed a moral line in his mind. He's the first character I've written who doesn't honestly believe he deserves redemption deep down. And getting him to realize he DOES is my biggest challenge, because *I* as the writer have a hard time identifying with that mentality.
You all have given me some geat ideas. I can't wait to finish this thing!
That's fascinating, Eli! My guy is a smuggler, but what he's smuggling may or may not be illegal because no one really understands the implications of these, um, possibly illicit, uh, things he's smuggling. Are they pets? Or slaves? What they are are lesser demons whose energy powers the machines of Earth. I know these things are going to get him into big trouble, I'm just hazy on how.
My MC isn't having a crisis of conscience because of the gray legality issues, but his strong sense of right and wrong is niggling at him. Especially once these the little demons start showing signs of sentience.
Post a Comment