Saturday, September 27, 2008

SATURDAY CHECK-IN

Since Lisa is obviously busy, I decided to post a weekend check-in. I know some of us are addicted!

Nothing to report about myself. I am waiting for some vague ideas about the next book to burst into flames, nursing an ailing elderly dog (please cross fingers for her -- and me) and getting ready to take a small camping trip to the coast right around the time the weather turns into rain. Thpt!

I know the rest of you have way more interesting things happening. Are you pleased with your progress or gearing up to get started? Do tell...

7 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Since it's so late in the day I'm responding to my own posting to alert you it's time to go check-in if you want to.

Paty Jager said...

LOL- Alice, I was getting ready to see if anyone was going to post a check in and my dh came in wanting a glass of ice tea and then I come back and you've posted.

So I am three chapters away from finishing the first draft of my contemporary. BUT it hinges around National Rodeo Finals which I've never attended. I have dinner guests coming over tonight who have attended several times and I plan to pick their brains. I've also contacted a rodeo person who is gathering info for me as well. So, my goal by the end of this coming week is to have that book finished in first draft and off to a beta reader I picked up in the last week.

While I was waiting for the info I need to finish the contemporary I reread and purdied up the historical. And dang, I couldn't believe I wrote it! It looked too good! LOL I'm hoping the agents I send it to think so as well!

Oh, and I thought of another idea for a contemporary. That gives me three contemporary ideas in my contemporary file. Sheesh, whodda thunk I could come up with more contemproary ideas? Of course they are still way behidn the number of historical ideas i have jotted down!

Hope everyone had a productive week and has the time to work toward their goals this coming week!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Alice!

Positive energy and prayers to you and your doggie. What a difficult time for you both.

I finished the line edits for my February 2009 release this past week--something I did not have on my "to do" list.

Still doing promo for my books, including a new contest drawing coming up on October 12. Since I can't mention the "H" word ("holidays") until after October 1, I'll leave the details for later in the week.

I also did an "unblog" on the Rose City Romance Writers blog today at **http://rosecityromancewriters.blogspot.com/** if you want to see a pretty autumn photo.

My son and I are still working on house and yard projects. Hope the rain holds off for those and for your camping trip!

Karen Duvall said...

I could be more productive, I admit it. But I guess I should be thankful for any number of words I can add to the WIP. The important thing is that my grasp of the story is stronger than ever and some hazy plot points are now coming into focus.

I've not done a good job counting words, but I'd say a couple pages a day. I need to ratchet that up and so I signed up for this year's NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). It's a fun program with prompts and challenges and support, so I figured why not. However, I don't understand why they have it in November every year. Thanksgiving, anyone? That leaves like a week out of the production cycle. Eh. I'll work around it somehow.

Karen Duvall said...

Paty, how exciting to be so close to finishing the new book. And congrats on the new contemp ideas! Also on your satisfaction with your historical. If we're not happy with your own work, we can't expect and agent or editor to be happy with it, either.

Alice, I know what you're going through with your dog. Our geriatric pooch is winding down to her final days. It shows on the outside, with the way she walks sideways and how crooked her hind legs have become. Despite her deafness, her insides seem okay. She has quite the appetite and she still plays with the cats, and though potty accidents occur daily, they're not messy, if you know what I mean. *wink, wink* We just have to love them for as long as we're lucky to have them with us.

Genene, good luck with all your promos! That takes a lot of energy, far more than I have. And how fun to look forward to a book coming out soon.

Okay, back to the WIP for me...

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Alice, positive thoughts headed to you and your pooch. I know what you're going through.

94K words and counting. 3 scenes to go. I've written 6K words today alone. I'm hoping to finish this weekend....

Alice Sharpe said...

I am not going to address anyone individually, it's just so good to know everyone needs this check-in as much as I do. I am thrilled you are so excited about things, Paty, and Karen, you are so right on about what my doggie dearest is going through though we're kind of on the sliding downhill side of that. Rats. She does seem better tonight, so breath held. And, btw, getting closer to understanding things is half the battle, as you know.

Genene, I'll read your Rose City thing tomorrow, and I always know your heart is with my sweet, sweet dog -- and with me -- so thank you. And Eli, thank you, I know you've been through this recently and understand the pain. I'm also thrilled you are so close to the end! Way to go!!!!!!!