The kids left Sunday before last. The hub left last Thursday. I've been in single woman heaven. And tomorrow I'm off to San Fran with 2000 other "single" women. (WOOHOO!!) Ever since the hub left I've been very busy...watching movies.
I never get to watch movies. Not ones for adults anyway. Most movies I see feature Barbie as a Grimms Fairy Tale heroine, or they showcase singing animated farm animals. Or singing high school students in loooove. Here's a rundown of what I've watched since Thursday. I've placed them in order of least liked to best liked, but it was hard. I thoroughly enjoyed each movie for different reasons.
National Treasure 2
I know a lot of people really liked this movie, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Everything was too convenient, too many deductions were made from thin air, and Nicholas Cage's hair looked odd. It was too easy to kidnap the president, break into oval office, find the hidden plank in the president's desk, and pour out their bottled water on the exact rock amongst acres of rocks to show the hidden eagle. And thank goodness Cage's mother was an expert in ancient Native American languages. I've always liked Nicholas Cage but not in this movie or the first one.
Lars and The Real Girl
I do not know what to make of this movie. Man orders a full size, anatomically correct, real woman looking doll and tells everyone it is his girlfriend. His brother, sister-in-law, and doctor convince their town to support his delusion for fear of worsening his newly apparent mental illness. Ever heard of a more stupid premise? BUT the townspeople go along with it because of their love and affection for the young man; they want him to get better. They talk to the doll, loan her clothing, make her dinner, buckle her seat belt, appoint her to the school board, get her a job, have her volunteer at the hospital and so on. It's touching and funny. And weird and freaky. Watching the brother and sister-in-law give the doll a bath in the tub was surreal.
The Other Boleyn Girl
I adore Natalie Portman, and I've lusted after Eric Bana since Troy. I've read many novels set in the times of Henry VIII and Elizabeth I, so I enjoyed immersing myself in this historical. The costumes and settings are rich, and the writers nailed the hopeless position of women in this time period. Good movie, but none of the characters are redeeming. Portman plays a selfish, conniving brat. Scarlett Johansson's character is appropriately spineless, and Eric Bana wrings his hands a lot. Plus it ends badly. But you already knew that.
Juno
I wish I'd never heard or read a single word about this film. I would have enjoyed it a million times more. It's fresh and witty, but I'd already heard every clever line and knew about each scene. Still it was fun to watch and I love to say "Diablo Cody" over and over. Can anyone come up with a better name than that?
Fools Gold
I like to watch Matthew McConaughey in movies but hate to read in the tabloids about his weird life. Something tells me that his reckless, immature character in this movie is pretty close to how he truly he is. Kate Hudson is as cute and spunky as ever. The movie is a fun treasure hunt romp, but I couldn't get the latest article I read about McConaughey out of my mind. He did a Brazilian tribal dance between his girlfriend's legs as she gave birth?
Dan in Real Life
I adore Steve Carell. I can't get enough of Steve Carell. In the film, his wife died a few years back, and now he and his three difficult daughters are spending a long week in his parents' home with his siblings and their families. All of whom want him to find a new woman. He falls madly in love with his brother's new girlfriend, Juliette Binoche, who secretly loves him back. Wonderful film. This extended family's togetherness and energetic game playing reminded me of film clips of the Kennedy clan. Too happy together.
Becoming Jane
Anne Hathaway is so utterly beautiful on film. I first saw her in Ella Enchanted and The Princess Diaries and found her to be a terrific actress. This is a great period piece about the life of Jane Austen and how her relationships influenced her writing and her characters. She falls in love with a poor lawyer, James McAvoy, when her parents need her to make a good marriage to a nobleman with money. She marries neither one. I don't know about the historical accuracy of the film, but I'd like to believe she suffered this tragedy.
P.S. I Love You
Here is the winner of my movie bender. I'd never heard of this film and I'd never read the book. Perhaps that is why I enjoyed this movie. It's simply beautiful. The love between Hillary Swank and Gerard Butler is incredible, indescribable. True soul mates who made my heart ache. I nearly turned it off after the first annoying ten minutes but cried and laughed through the rest. Harry Connick, Jr. is fun as a blunt, rather rude bartender who admits he lacks the ability to pick up on social cues. The movie is based on the debut novel of the twenty-one-year old daughter of the prime minister of Ireland. Not bad for a first effort, but I don't want to read the book; this movie was perfect. Maybe it takes the mind of a ingenue to create a love so pure. Now I want an Irishman. Who sings.
I watched nine movies, but I turned off one because it was lame. And I won't count the three DVDs of TV's Firefly.
Seen any good movies lately?
10 comments:
I've only seen a handful of those movies.
I loved National Treasure I, but did't like the second. Too much like hte first, too convenient (everything you listed), and I didn't understand why Nick and his girlfriend broke up prior to the second movie starting. And yeah, I didn't like his hair, either.
We rented Fools Gold about two weeks ago. This is my kind of movie - heck, it's what I write! - romance, suspense, treasure hunt. But I didn't like it either. I didn't like the relationship between the two (good sex only goes so far...why the heck did she stay with him for 8 yrs if he was so immature and why did she come back now?), and I didn't see Matthew's character grow.
Haven't seen PS I love you, but my mother absolutely loved it and just bought it. I'm sure I'll see it soon.
The only one on this list I absolutely loved was Dan In Real Life. I didn't expect it to be so serious, but I loved Steve Carell's character, and the family dynamics were great. My favorite scene is when his whole family descends on him in his room (they gave him the room in the basement with the washing machine). He's trying to sleep, they all come in and stage an intervention, telling him it's time he starts dating again, and all the while the woman he's crazy about (and the one that's crazy about him) is standing there with his brother. Talk about conflict!!! Very good movie.
I haven't seen any of these movies. I can't believe it. Thanks to you, however, I now have a movie rental guide for the rest of the summer. Of course I've heard about many of them and I think you're right, most seem to be dh away movies and dh hasn't been away -- ah, I'm sensing a pattern.
I did get up at 4:00 a.m. and finish my synopsis and send it at 5:30. The last paragraph reads something like this: "So, in the end, they work together to foil (rescue, etc...) " Okay, sorry for the non subject inclusion, I'm just so relieved it's out of here.
The last movie I rented was Phantom of the Opera. I knew the music score and the general idea of the story, but it was great fun putting the visuals and the movie together for the first time. And that movie I borrowed from the library.
I would like to see Dan in Real Life, The Other Boleyn Girl and P.S. I Love You. I don't know why but I'm not anxious to see Juno. The Fools Gold thing looks dreadful on the ads; I'm a little tired of McConaughey, too. And Lars and Real Girl ... pass.
New movies that will soon come to video that I am
looking forward to are Get Smart, Iron Man and a couple of others whose titles I can't recall.
Barbie as a Grimms Fairy Tale heroine, huh? Oh, dear. Fun Blog.
Hey, Kendra, congratulations on finding "heaven"!
I rarely watch movies either, but it sounds like P.S. I Love You would be a good one to invest in. I also appreciate the warnings about the "stinkers." :)
Glad you had the time to indulge and pamper yourself for awhile. What a treat!
Hope you and everyone else bound for San Francisco have a fantastic time!
Kendra, thanks for the movie rundown! I haven't watched a new movie in a while. I rarely watch new releases because I'm a tight-wad, unless the movie excites me enough to spend the extra 2 bucks. Like Jumper I loved! I think I watched that last month. I forget.
I was turned on to hulu.com, where the movies and shows are free. There are a number of decent movies there, among them some old favorites I happily rewatched. Like Ghostbusters. LOL! And Weird Science, which brought back memories of watching movies with the kids when they were young. Michael Anthony Hall and my son could be twins.
Hulu also features TV shoes and I watched the entire first season of Angel, which I'd loved the first time around, and so I bought the remaining 4 seasons on Amazon. Hey! It was a birthday present to myself. 8^) Last night I started watching Burn Notice, a really EXCELLENT series runnon on the USA network. I bet it goes prime time eventually. Talk about original, with some terrific characters. It's like a cross between MacGyver and Alias, but with less violence. The entire first season is on Hulu, and season 2 just started on the USA network.
I like movies, but they're over too quickly. A tv series goes on for hours upon hours of entertainment goodness. 8^)
Sounds like I need to check out hulu.com. Where'd they get that name? I have seen part of one episode of Burn Notice and thought it was good. I've heard it's getting good reviews.
I hate to recommend a movie to anyone because they might hate it and then think I'm an idiot. My hairdresser told me to watch Lars and warned me it was odd, but it fit with her quirky personality. While she was telling me about it, the receptionist walked over and said, "I hated that movie."
Alice-glad you finished your synopsis. I hate writing the last paragraph. "He saves her and they live happily ever after," is all I ever want to say.
Barbie movies are big business. We have Barbie as Rupenzel, Princess and the Pauper, 12 Dancing Princesses, and the Magic of Pegasus. And we've rented countless others with mermaids and fairies. They all have retail tie-ins with Barbie dolls dressed in each movie's costume. (Yeah, we have too many dolls, too.)
I've only seen one of the movies from your list -- National Treasure 2. I agree with everything everyone has said so far about it. I found it disappointing and predictable.
Fool's Gold is on our Netflix queue because my husband wants to see it. I'm pretty lukewarm to the idea, even though by the description it's exactly the kind of movie I should like. I guess I shouldn't have read the interview with Kate Hudson where she mentioned how difficult it was for her to get close to Matthew McConaughey because of his body odor. Seems he doesn't believe in wearing deodorant or scents of any kind. Somehow I just can't get that out of my head when it comes to watching him now.
Becoming Jane is also on our queue -- and I'm glad to hear that you liked it. I'm looking forward to seeing it when I get back from SF.
Of the movies I've seen in the last few months, I'd have to say that Iron Man is the one I'd rave about. I didn't really have any expectations when we went to see it, but it really is a terrific movie. I'll confess to having a soft spot for Robert Downey, Jr. as an actor; one of my favorite movies is Heart and Souls.
I did like the latest Indiana Jones, mostly for the nostalgia kick (and because, like Sean Connery, Harrison Ford just seems to get better with age ;-).
As for TV, my two favorite shows currently are Burn Notice and Eureka. Both are off-beat and quirky--not your standard TV fare--and a lot of fun to watch.
I've heard that smelly fact before about Matthew McConaughey! Way too much "natural" man there for me.
Everyone has raved about Iron Man. That is definitely on my list to see. I noticed Eureka was on DVD at Hollywood the other day. A second vote for Burn Notice. I'll check out both.
Okay, any guy tries to do a Brazillian tribal dance between my legs as I'm giving birth is a dead guy as soon as I'm finished squeezing out the baby. Ha! What the hey?
What were we talking about? Oh yeah, movies. I am currently in the G and PG movie mode too. Cars that talk are the most popular movie characters at our house. Cute, big-eared flying elephants run a close second.
I caught the tail end of Serendipity tonight with John Cuzak (did I spell that right?) Wished I'd seen it all. It looked cute.
Congrats on your temporary singleness, Kendra. Enjoy!
Eli, I thought of you and your stories while watching Fool's Gold. I liked it.
Thanks for the movie rundown, Kendra.
I spent my evening at the emergency room, which I wrote about on Bethany's blog from Monday.
Post a Comment