Tuesday, July 01, 2008

It started as research...




Law enforcement has always been present in my books. I value any opportunity I can get to brush elbows with these heroes and learn about their lives and jobs.

When I saw my local police department was taking applications for their citizen's police academy, I jumped at the chance. My husband saw the addressed application envelope on the kitchen counter, ready for the mailbox, and asked if I'd received a speeding ticket. (That's his specialty, not mine.)

Every Wednesday evening for eight weeks I was educated along with 25 other curious citizens. On my application I'd mentioned I was a suspense and thriller writer. Yes, I left off the romance part, but that's a topic for another blog. When I walked in, the moderator asked my name so he could check it off on his list. "Oh. You're the writer. That's fantastic!" Jim Wolf was my instant buddy. He's on my right in the picture and Chief Dickinson is on my left.

The first night, we each did an intro and explained why we wanted to be there. Most had been vics of crimes. Some were interested in law enforcement as a career. One guy wanted a book of blank citations so he could ticket people speeding in his neighborhood. Another was a private investigator. One of my favorite patients was in the class. We were both shocked and tickled to see each other.

I loved my classes. Twice I left my three kids home alone (Shhh!) to get to the class on time. Usually my husband would get home from work around the time I needed to leave, but twice he was late. I parked the kiddos in front of the TV and gave my usual instructions. "Don't answer the phone, don't answer the door, and don't eat anything because I won't be here to do the Heimlich maneuver if you choke!" I always get big eyes and definite nods with that last warning.

I shot a beanbag rifle and a taser, toured the Washington County Jail, got to play with fingerprint powder and alternative light sources, and learned about every department in the building. Criminal investigations, patrol, youth programs, and even the records department. Most importantly, now I have a list of contacts. Officers who specialize in cell phone and computer forensics, undercover narcotics, and investigations. And a weapons junkie...I mean expert. When off duty, this officer always carries two guns, a switchblade and extra ammo in his pockets. At home he has a gun collection that numbers in the hundreds.



When I went to tour the jail, I rode with Jim in the department's DARE vehicle. You can't miss this thing as it's going down the road. Talk about getting stares, pointed fingers, and waves. It's a Cadillac Escalade with obnoxious spinners on the wheels. On the tailgate it says Seized from a drug dealer. The custom decor job and all maintenance are donated.

When it was over, I was completely bummed. Several students felt the same. All of us had been fascinated during the entire experience. Luckily I've got a ride-along coming up this summer and Jim asked if I'd serve on the interview board for new hires and department promotions. I jumped at the opportunity. I have no idea what I'm in for, but I'm thrilled to keep my foot in the door. What started out as simple research turned into something I plan to continue.

Next on my research list is my handgun class and hopefully the FBI citizen's academy in the fall. It's competitive to get into this academy and a recommendation is required. But guess what? I have a great contact in the police department who'll gladly recommend me. Priceless.

What's the biggest step you've taken in the name of research? Have you ever chickened out of some research? Why?

12 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Man, Kendra, that sounds neat. Love the car!

My son is a Portland city cop and has taken my dh along for a ride-along two or three times. I haven't gone with him though he's asked me to numerous times. I think the reason I haven't gone is my fear for him. I know he has a dangerous job but when I try to sleep at night, I have no visual images to play in my head. I may have heard that he chased a bad guy down a dark alley, but I didn't witness it. I think it's my way of coping.

Everything you learned is going to figure into your characters -- there are several Intrigue writers who have taken these courses and I believe our own Danita did but I may be wrong.

As for my own research -- I've never done anything as intense as what you did though walking cold into a situation to interview someone used to make me physically ill. It doesn't bother me anymore.

Fun blog.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Oh, I'm definitely signing up for the Salem one in the fall. You've inspired me. Your class sounds great, and how cool they asked you to sit in on interviews. You must have completely impressed them.

But...okay...I'll bite. You didn't ever mention you write RS? Tell tell...

Kendra said...

Alice, who have you interviewed? Personal interviews make me ill, too. (Putting Alice's name in mental file as someone with cop contact. Along with Paty.)

Elisabeth, I simply wimped out. I've had too many people raise a brow at the word "romance" when I say what I write. And I haven't told that many poeple. Since I was trying to get into a police related thing, I thought dropping the romance would give me a better shot. I know now it wouldn't have mattered. They take anybody!

Hey. You didn't share. I know you've talked to some people for research.

Alice Sharpe said...

LOL, Kendra. The book that comes out in July was inspired by a conversation I overheard between my son and another cop, and then that poor guy had to practically hold my hand while I wrote the preface. He recently read the beginning and remarked how amazing it was that so much time went into something that was all over in nine pages.

I've interviewed boat captains and newspaper reporters and the editor of a newspaper, radio talk hosts and hung out at a diner one morning as the owner taught me how to open and close the place. I've talked to coroners and cops and doctors and veterinarians and toured the fire station and the morgue. Book store owner, theatre people, teachers -- everyone who works at something I wanted a hero or heroine to know how to do. The internet has made this a little easier but not as fun. For the book I'm writing now, I am researching Mafia, con men, quadruplets, jewel theft and witness protection.

I know what you mean about the romance thing. I throw it out now where I used to withhold it. I feel like a mystery writer and I know when I saw Harlequin, the listener seldom hears additional details. They stop right there and latch on to the mental image that word gives them. I just don't care what they think as much as I used to. On the other hand, lots of people just hear "writer" and react to that and it's always been positive except for the time a police detective thought I worked for a newspaper. I forgot to mention "fiction." Oops.

Paty Jager said...

Great blog, Kendra! It sounds like you had a great time and made some awesome contacts.

I don't have to tag along. Some of the stories my SIL tells are enough for me. Because,you met him, he doesn't leave out any details! His story about a riot at the prison is- well, more than I wanted to hear!

Since I mainly write historical it is usually people in museums or that know a local history that I've interviewed for books. Though for the contemporary I'm working on now, I've interviewed a traveling emergency room nurse, a bareback bronc rider, and a rough stock owner. Not to mention a wife of a bull rider.

I know what you mean about saying romance. I always say Historical western romance or contemporary western romance, but it's funny how many people don't understand what contemporary means. That way they focus on the first part and not the last.

Back to the writing. I'm half way to the day's goal. I needed a break.

chanceofbooks said...

Neat Blog Kendra.

I'm not big on research. However, I've tried to work in blogs into my WIP to count those as research . . .

And do you think if I wrote about law school I could count THAT as research? LOL. It would be nice to get "credit" for all that time . . .

Danita Cahill said...

Great blog, Kendra!

The citizen's accademy sounds like fun. Isn't it something like 6 weeks long?

I've never taken it, Alice, but got many of the same tours such as of the jail, lie-detector and evidence rooms, district attorney's office etc when I was working as the crime/public safety reporter for the Albany Democrat-Herald.

As a posse member, I've also had yearly classes and training in firearms, deadly force, first aide and such.

Also did a ride-along several years ago with a rookie cop I was fond of. He reminded me of one of my little brothers.

When I climbed into his patrol car, The first thing he showed me was how to unlock the rifle in the front seat in case he needed back up.

Wow.

The cop went into Overtime on that shift, and I wound up riding with him for 12 hours. It happened to be my birthday, as well as the Sportsman's Holiday weekend in Sweet Home. The cop's OT pay came from a grant to help catch drunk drivers.

We caught one. Riding a stolen motorcycle. The guy was so wasted, and very funny. Although I tried not to laugh at him, it was hard to keep a straight face. He saw me smirk and said, "I see you smilin up there." That's right, I'm havin' a great old time too. It's like a New Year's Eve party back here (in the backseat of a cop car)."

Ha!

That night we also stopped a drunken, barefoot man who was weaving into traffic off the sidewalk. He was carrying a frog. The poor tree frog was about half dead from the heat of his hand. The cop talked him into turning it loose. Saved the frog's life for sure, possibly the drunk's as well.

We responded to a call along the Santiam River. A resident there had a suspicious-looking item wash up onto his property and thought it could be an explosive device.

The cop checked it out, didn't think it was anything dangerous, but just in case, he had me and the resident stand a safe distance away while he threw the "bomb" back into the river. Very brave.

I also did a few ride-alongs for assignments. Once, when covering a story about the new laser guns the Albany police started using to catch speeders, all available cops got called to an apartment building. Once there, they all drew their side arms. Very exciting. A staff photog was with me, so we got a great story and photos. Can't remember all the details now, but it was some sort of drug bust/stolen car deal ending with several arrests.

I could go on, but you get the picture.

I would highly recommennd police ride alongs to anyone who writes suspense. They are great fun. You never know what might happen the day you ride along.

Danita Cahill said...

Ride alongs would probably be fun even for those who don't write suspense. They're free, you just sign up at the police station of your choice. If I remember correctly, you have to sign up sometime in advance. I believe they run a background check on ride alongers first.

I think it would be fun now, five-or-so years later to do a ride along with that same cop and see how his style has changed, and if he's gotten cynical. He's no longer a rookie.

Danita Cahill said...

Isn't it funny how we change and grow, Alice? I'm referring to your comment about feeling physically ill when you used to conduct interviews.

In my teens and early 20s, it scared me just making business-type phone calls. Ha! We've come a long way, baby!

I think about that when young bride-to-bes call me asking about wedding photography. I remember how frightening it may be for them to make that call, and try to put them at ease.

Kendra said...

Way to go, Paty! Didn't you say you were aiming for something insane like 4000K a day?!?

Alice, I'm in awe. Has anyone ever refused an interview? Any good contacts for the witness protection program? I've had an idea brewing around that for a while.

Danita, I'm green with envy. I'm betting Elisabeth is too. What fun! Poor froggy. :(

Wavy, don't discount law school experience. You never know where info will come in handy. Nothing's more boring than dentistry, but I sure caught a lot of agents' eyes when I applied my dental knowledge to forensics in a novel. Didn't work out obviously. :)

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Kendra! Sorry to chime in so late. It's been a busy day and I'm just now sitting down at my computer.

I attended the Citizen Police Academy here in Salem because I was working on stories with police heroes. I found it very interesting also!

I've interviewed a number of other people for fiction stories, including the girlfriend of a rock band member, and I spent a day with physical and music therapists.

I've also worked at agencies that have provided interesting info I've incorporated into stories (State Penitentiary, juvenile corrections, and child welfare--which includes child abuse, domestic violence, foster care and adoptions). And in the many years I worked for the state, I came into contact with people from every level of state government from maintenance workers to the governor.

I was also the newsletter editor for child welfare for quite a few years, so got to do interviews with programs all over the state. I loved talking to people who believed deeply in what they were doing. Totally fascinating. The biggest challenge was to quit talking and write the story. LOL!

Glad you had such a wonderful experience at the Citizen Police Academy and are going to continue to be involved with the police department!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

P.S. If you want another example of interesting research, check out Angie Fox's blog at **http://rosecityromancewriters.blogspot.com**. She connected with an organization of Harley motorcycle riders who ride with their dogs. :)