Saturday, July 12, 2008

DEBBIE'S INTRODUCTION

Happy Saturday!

I'm thrilled to be invited to guest blog today. I'm relatively new here, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to tell you a bit about myself. First off, what to call me? I know my formal signature says "Deborah", but I answer to Debbie or Deb as well. I grew up in Sacramento, CA (actually in Fair Oaks, but no one will know where that is) and I lived in San Jose from 1988 until we moved to Salem last year. I'm not a complete newbie to Oregon--I lived in Pendleton for a year in the early '80s.

I've been a voracious reader since I was a child. I'm also one of those people who are constantly telling themselves stories. Up until the last few years those stories stayed safely in my head. I'm not sure why it took me so long to put 2 and 2 together and realize that what I was doing was a precursor to writing, but there you have it. In 2003 I decided to participate in NaNoWriMo. I wrote 65,000 words in one month and was hooked! The story went nowhere and the writing was crap, for want of a better term, but the joy in writing that I found--of getting into a zone where the words seemed to flow from some heretofore undiscovered reservoir within me--was a revelation.

I kept plugging away, writing another 50,000 words o' crap for NaNo 2004. Then I got sidetracked by professional stresses as well as a health scare with my husband and I put my writing goals on the back burner for a time. I continued to read and try to learn more about how to improve at the craft of writing. When we made the decision to move from California to Oregon last year, I decided that I was ready to get serious about writing for publication. It's daunting to realize that I have a long way to go, but I'm determined to succeed. I also knew that I didn't want to go it alone, so I looked around and found RWA. I was impressed by the support and encouragement offered and by how welcoming the organization was to new and unpublished writers. I joined in November of last year. Through RWA I found the MWV chapter and joined in February.

I'm still discovering where I want to go with my writing; in which genre I'll fit best. I don't write romance novels, per se, but my stories always have strong romantic elements woven through them. In fact, when I think of the genres I usually read -- Science Fiction, Fantasy, Mystery and Suspense -- the authors I gravitate to are those who incorporate romance in one form or another as an important part of their stories.

I also work. I've got a degree in Computer Science and work as an IT Solution Designer for a high tech company based in the CA Bay Area. I'm responsible for architecting our internal calendaring and instant messaging solutions. I've done a little bit of everything in IT, from pulling cables and installing hardware, to writing programs and scripts, to creating web pages and wiki docs.

If you're ever doing research and need information about northern California (especially the Sacramento region or the Bay Area) or about high tech companies, I'll be happy to try to help. I'll also be glad to help with technical questions, if I can. I don't talk PCs--I can find my way around one, but that's about it. I'm strictly a UNIX gal (Solaris, Linux and Mac OS X). I should warn that I'm one of those weird people that hardware and software seem to love. Tech just tends to work for me, even when it won't for someone else. I've long suspected it's due to some mutated gene in my DNA, but don't quote me on that.

I'm attending the National conference this summer and can't wait, although I find it a bit ironic that the first convention after I move from the Bay is in San Francisco. No pitches for me, yet. I'm excited just to be going!

So, that's a little slice of me. I've enjoyed meeting many of you at the meetings and here on the blog and am looking forward to getting to know you better. In that spirit, if there's something you'd like to ask me, please do. I'll do my best to answer!

8 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Everyone, I should have explained that Debbie is blogging today -- I just posted it for her. There will be a challenge check-in tomorrow.

Debbie -- I, too, read other genres and like you, am always drawn to a story with a romantic angle.

You said, "I'll also be glad to help with technical questions, if I can." Whopee. I own a Mac OS X (or it owns me...) I may take you up on that generous offer.

I know you'll enjoy Nationals. The first one I went to was in NYC and it was something else. I absolutely ran myself crazy at that thing. I attended a workshop during every hour where one was offered (I encourage you to take it slower and give yourself time to absorb everything around you) except for one afternoon when I met a former editor and she took me on a walking tour of the city. It was about 90 degrees and 90% humidity and she walked like a New Yorker, not a Californian (which I was at the time.) In other words, that lady hustled and I'm an ambler. She almost killed me. Then I took her for a drink at the top of the Rockerfeller Building and it cost $18.00 for two drinks and this was 15 years ago. At least I got to sit down for a few moments. Add the guy on the subway who reached into his jacket and then in a lilting Irish accent started addressing everyone (he was begging, I was sure he was with the IRA and was about to pull a gun -- he finally pulled out a harmonica and I about fainted with relief) and it turned into quite an afternoon.

I'm glad you're a part of our group. Your dedication and determination are formidable. It'll be fun to get to know you better as time passes.

Karen Duvall said...

Welcome, Deb! How great that you're a techie and that you know Mac OS X. Like Alice, I'm a devoted Mac user and have been since 1989. I'm a graphic designer by trade, and the InDesign on my desktop machine has hated me for the past four months. I need to re-install and I'm a-scared! So I've moved all my design work to my laptop. Sigh. This thing's too dinky to do it justice, but I can get it done.

I've never been to Nationals but I hear it's a blast. Have fun! I'm more of the small conference kind of gal. Any venue with more than 350 people makes me break out in hives. Just kidding. Sort of.

I never make it to meetings over there (I live in Bend), so I don't know when I'll get a chance to meet you. Unless you go to one of our retreats, which I always make it a point to attend. I'll probably have to sell a kidney to afford the gas to travel over the pass next time, though. Good grief! The rise in gas prices is keeping me from doing all kinds of fun stuff. No Coast or Portland book signings for me, I'm afraid.

I hope we get a chance to meet someday!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Debbie!

I'm so glad you joined our group! Since things high tech like you, have you considered writing futuristic romances (do those fall under fantasy or sci fi--I don't keep up with all the subgenres)? Writing about the future is intriguing to me.

I'm so impressed that you have done two NaNoWriMo's. Just the thought of writing that many words in a month is intimidating to me.

Enjoy Nationals -- it is a lot of fun!

Paty Jager said...

Hi Deb!

I've been trying to finish reading your blog and commenting for two hours! I have a 4 and 2 year old here this weekend and wouldn't you know the 4 year-old locked the 2 year-old in a bedroom and we couldn't find anything to use to unlock it, so my daughter and I lowered an extension ladder down through the attic crawl space to get an adult in the room to unlock it. This is the kind of fun I get to have until Wednesday!

Anyway, Welcome to the mwvrwa blog world!

My first Nationals was at Reno about four years ago. This coming one is only my second time, but I've tried to get myself more involved. I really like the smaller conferences, like Emerald City in Seattle/Bellevue and I attended one in Vancouver BC that was fun.

I"m sure you'll figure out your writing niche soon.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

So good to "read" you, Debbie!

Another mac girl, huh? Hmm....I'm surrounded. ;)

National will be fun. You'll be glad you went. There's a group of us going, so whenever you feel overwhelmed, look for one of us. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for your warm welcome (both here and at the meetings)!

Alice--I've only had my Mac since December, but I love it. I don't consider myself an expert on the OS yet, but I'd be happy to try to help. And if there's a problem that we can't figure out, I can always ask the Mac gurus at my work. I'm really looking forward to Nationals and I here you about the workshops. I've already wondered if I can clone myself for the times when there are 2 or 3 in the same hour that I want to attend. LOL!

Genene-- I've thought about writing Science Fiction--I even have characters and the start of a plot for a hard SF/Time Travel novel. I'm just not sure if that's really what I want to write. Considering I also have ideas for at least 2 fantasy novels and a couple of mystery/suspense novels, well, discovering what I love to write as opposed to what I love to read is really what I'm working on at the moment. And the NaNos I participated in would be more impressive if the stories had come together, but they were fun to work on. The most important thing I learned was that I do have the ability to complete a novel--now I just have to write one worth reading. :-)

Paty--Sounds like you have your hands full with those two! The small conferences sound interesting and hopefully one of these days I'll get to attend one.

Elisabeth--We Mac users will convince you to come over to the light! ;-)
I'm excited to see what Nationals is like. I've attended tech conferences, but I have a feeling this will be different. If nothing else, it'll be nice to be part of the majority for a change--at most tech conferences, I'm usually lucky if 5% of the attendees are women. LOL!

Flo Moyer said...

Yay, computer talk! I love Linux--Suse in particular--and have had it set up on my computer in the past as a double boot with Win XP. I haven't had time to mess with it since getting my new computer (pc with Win XP--I don't want to use Vista for various reasons). When Win Xp stops being supported one of these years, I'll go back to Linux.

I love the RWA conferences. They're big, but you can learn so much. I've been to 5 total now. Can't make it this year, but hope to next, if we get a car that will make it to Washington DC.
Flo (long distance member)

chanceofbooks said...

Hi Debbie! Sorry I didn't post on this thread sooner! Welcome!

I second Alice. Slow down at the conference. Don't be afraid to take a session off. Go to the book signings as a way to recharge between speakers. Spend a few hours away from the hub bub when you get burnt.