Thursday, July 17, 2008

CAN A CHARACTER FIND JOY AMID CONFLICT?

Flowers for no particular reason (giving or receiving them!), the lap of an ocean wave as it tumbles the sand under your feet and tickles your toes, those few magic moments in the early morning watching your loved ones sleep, that aha moment when a scene in your latest manuscript comes together perfectly...

These are just a few of the things that bring me the soul-deep joy that all is perfectly aligned in the universe and I am part of that alignment.

However, as writers we are told conflict is king! A story must have tension that builds and builds for 200 or 300 (or more) pages. If a character wants something badly, take it away from them. Add more drama. Crank up the tension.

Do our characters get a break? Do they get moments of joy before they struggle to their happy ending--beaten, betrayed, bankrupt, perhaps even shot at?

Sure there are pauses for characters to reflect and readers to catch their breath before jumping back into the action, but do you give your characters moments of joy? I'm not sure I do.

We've had some discussion on the blog of how to dig deeper into our characters (by asking them what's in their pockets/ purse or by seeing what wedding dress the heroine would choose). Today it occurred to me that deeper character could also be revealed by what brings our characters joy.

A simple moment of joy could be the first drops of a rain storm for a firefighter who has been battling a blaze for hours. Or a workaholic who discovers joy in doing nothing. Perhaps a guilt-ridden father who blames himself for his child's death could find joy in coaching a troubled teen to hit his first home run. Any of these situations could also be a turning point for this character.

I like this idea so much that when I go back to my series of books, I'm going to include some joy for my characters -- if only for a brief scene.

How about your characters? What would bring them joy and why? What brings you joy?

9 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Oh, genene, I love this idea. And I love the image of a firefighter looking up at the rain, I can see the drops rolling down his sooty cheeks and the feeling of relief: he gets to go home, he gets to see his baby. Okay, now the tension. His baby was sick was when he left and he's been out of contact. This rain means the end of isolation. Especially since his wife told him if he left she'd take the child and go home to Mom. Did she go?

Okay, obviously, I am a lover of tension too, but you are so right, joy reveals character.

In my current WIP, the heroine has just had four babies and the father is missing, never showed up at the hospital, in her heart of hearts she thinks he's run away, she's beginning to wonder if she ever even knew him (trust me, she didn't.) Joy for her?

The first time she walks into their nursery and it's dark and quiet and the children are all actually asleep and the man she's always loved (but just realized is the only man for her) comes up behind her and puts his arms around her and nuzzles her neck and she knows she's not alone after all, her children will indeed have a father who loves them, the danger is over.

But little joys, too. She's been stuck in a hospital. Imagine the first morning home when she can make her own coffee, when there's no hospital noises, when she can stand at the sink and look out at the river -- the joy grows from the deprivation preceding it.

Thankyou for this timely topic. I'm going to think of it as I work (on the laptop, watching the dh sleep in his hospital room, and yes, he's doing better, gets to come home tomorrow!)

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Oh, Alice!

I love the sound of the book you're working on! Can't imagine four babies all at once though. Yikes!

Beautiful moments of joy, too. Kind of ironic that you are spending a lot of time in a hospital while writing a book that includes a hospital stay.

So glad your husband is doing better and will soon be home. Hooray!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I love this too, Genene. And I have to say, no, I don't use a lot of those little moments of joy in my books, but you've got me thinking of them now. My characters tend to be a little on the snarky sid (go figure) and there's humor in my books, and lightness at times, but no real conscious realization of joy like you or Alice described. Definitely something to ponder...

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Eli!

I'm definitely pondering those moments of deep joy for my characters also--and any way to deepen their character. Guess you could use most any emotion to do this. What would make your hero cry? What would make your heroine attack someone? Or would they? It gives us as writers all kinds of avenues to explore to get deeper into our characters.

Karen Duvall said...

These are really great points, Genene! It's too often that an author focuses so hard on making trouble for the characters that readers cringe and rethink their desire to read the rest of the book because it's too depressing. I remember being in a critique group years ago where one of the guys had his main character bludgeoned with bad luck on every page and it just got to be too much. It came to the point where we'd grown when he handed us pages to read because we already knew the character was in for more hell. You've got to throw them a bone every now and then. And when you give your characters joy, their misfortunes appear even worse. So you're not in danger of losing any tension by sprinkling a bit of happy dust on your story folks now and then. 8^)

Karen Duvall said...

I are a writer? Sheesh. I meant "groan" not "grown."

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

LOL, Karen! (About the "I are a writer..." -- not the tortured characters.)

So you're not in danger of losing any tension by sprinkling a bit of happy dust on your story folks now and then.

I like this description. Not only would constant torture get old, but if a hero/heroine doesn't win a few small victories, I would also doubt their ability to overcome huge obstacles to finally win their happily ever after.

Paty Jager said...

Thought provoking blog, Genene!

I think all emotions reveal character. How each one reacts to each situation brings about the character.

I love the thought of joy. I've heard the "you have to have conflict on every page to keep the reader turning the page" But I think bringing your character's happiness, joy, or just a self assessment can also keep your reader and keep them turning the page as they get to know you character. It's like getting to know someone you hope will become a friend. the more you learn about them the more you are invested in the friendship. I think the same goes for characters in books. The more you can show your characters the deeper the reader becomes invested in their story.

As for my WIP characters- Holt finds joy in helping others and the simple pleasure of riding a horse and not worrying about being bucked off.
Gina finds joy in a dreamless night, Holt's friendship, and a cinnamon roll.

Great thoughts!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

It's like getting to know someone you hope will become a friend...The more you can show your characters the deeper the reader becomes invested in their story.

Exactly! Thank you for putting this into eloquent words.

And, Paty, I really liked your examples of riding a horse and not worrying about being bucked off, and a dreamless night. Both of these reveal a lot about your characters.