Saturday, July 19, 2008

I'm Back and Saturday Check-IN

Hi all. I've had no internet all week and you'd think I'd have more writing done. But I only managed 7000 words! Of course I was in a car with a 4 1/2 year-old and a 2 year-old for 8 hours one of those days and attended a funeral and 5 hours in the car, then another 4 hours the next day. So three days there wasn't much writing getting done. Then the other days I was wrestling with wheel lines and hand pipes and cussing my dh(don't tell him that he's been treating me like a queen since I got back) because things didn't go as smoothly as he said they would. But I"m home and learned some things.

Never have someone who has never met the deceased perform the service. I only saw my uncle once a year as a child and then about every five years as an adult, but I could have given a better parting than the preacher did who officiated over the service. The songs my brother sang fit my uncle way better than the preacher's words. And that my friends is why when I do leave this earth, I've instructed my dh to throw a party for my friends and play the music I have on a list.

I haven't had a chance to read the blog for the week. I'll get to it after my 350 e-mails!

I hope everyone had a good writing week!

6 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

It's been one of those weeks here, too, Paty. Dh in hospital, terribly sick, then operation then recovery starting, home now, meanwhile me driving back and forth and trying to write by his bedside and all I could accomplish was rewriting, rewriting. The only real progress I made came on the day of the operation where I used most of the 4 1/2 hours to advance a scene at last.

He's home as of yesterday and so no driving today -- happy dance -- and I can hopefully get a lot done as time is a wastin'. Ten more days. Ack!

LOL, I know what you mean about the wrong send off. The guy who gave the speech at my grandmother's funeral couldn't pronounce her last name. It annoyed all of us. A lot.

Glad you're home (I think the dh should look into getting you fixed up to some satellite internet or what have you! If you're going to be struggling with wheel lines and hand pipes, the least you should be able to do afterwards is whine to your friends!)

Oh, and are we supposed to feel bad you "only managed 7000 words" while spending 13 1/2 hours in a car with tiny children and playing farmer the rest of time (and don't forget the funeral)? Egads, woman.

Karen Duvall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Duvall said...

Paty, what a week! Good grief. I wouldn't have written a word. Well, actually, I didn't! 8^) Nothing all week long. Shame on me.

We were lucky at my mom's funeral, which was actually a memorial service because we had her cremated, not to have much of a sermon. The minister said a generic spiel about life after death, blah, blah, blah. Then family members stood and spoke a few words about Mom. It was wonderful, painful, and delightful. We kept it light and told mostly funny stories that had everyone laughing and crying. My niece told about the time her Grammy drove one of those little motorized shopping carts in the store and ran over a clerk. I talked about the "aOOOOgah!" horn she had installed in the cadillac and how she'd blast the damn thing at my friends whenever I was in the car. Talk about humiliating. But these little stories said a lot about the type of person my mother was. Outgoing, silly, loving, cheerful. I hope when I go, there will be fun stories told about me at my funeral.

Today I'm not planning to do much writing. I'm putting together my notes for the online workshop I'm giving on my blog week after next for those "left behind" while everyone else goes to Nationals. 8^)

Karen Duvall said...

Oops, that was me. Accidental double post. I hate when that happens.

Paty Jager said...

Alice, I'm glad your dh is on the recovery end of his operation and all went well.

You know, I'm thinking about satellite internet just so he and I can stay in touch. I couldn't get a hold of him on Thursday night and he didn't sleep thinking I'd been bit by a rattler or fell off a cliff! I have to walk 1/2 a mile one way to get 2 bars on my cell phone and then I don't always stay connected. So staying in touch out there is hard.

Yeah, I don't like funerals and hadn't planned to attend this one but my dh and daughter thought it was a must and I'm glad I went after seeing how few family members made it. My cousin appreciated it.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Paty, glad you're home safe and sane (?) and back on the Internet. Congrats on the 7000 words--still a very nice accomplishment.

Alice, glad your husband is home recovering and you can focus on writing.

Karen, what a good idea to have a "left behind" workshop online!

I'm in nonwriting mode right now--just edits coming up next week and continuing promotion.

Hope the rest of you have a productive week!