Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I've Got a Dilemma

I've been reflecting on jobs lately. My current job. Past jobs. Future jobs.

Over the past two years, there's been a change in my dental office. I've worked there twelve years and I'm the newest hygienist. The other three hygienists have been there about 15 or 20 years. Possibly more. This is nearly unheard of in a dental office. Turnover is closer to five years. In school we were told the average dental hygienist works for seven years. Total. I'm not sure why. My guess would be the physical strain on the back, shoulders, and arms.

So why is my office different? My boss. I work for the greatest guy. Dr. L. is a talented dentist and a wonderful person who genuinely likes his patients and considers many of them to be close friends. He remembers where they went on their last vacation, what hobbies they have, and the names of their grandkids, No, Dr. L. doesn't write anything down. I don't have this talent. I'll see the same person every six months for four years and still struggle to place their face.

Two years ago he brought in an associate dentist. Dr. L wasn't ready to retire; he loves his job too much. But he has been slowly cutting back his hours. It's just not the same atmosphere on the days he's gone. The new dentist is great. His skills are good and he's a nice guy, but he's not Dr. L. It's not the new dentist's fault; I haven't met anyone who can fill Dr. L's shoes, and I've done temp work with twenty to thirty other dentists.

So I have a decision to make. Switching to another office doesn't solve my problem. Another office might be a nightmare. There's something about women working in a small space that easily leads to cattiness. I like the women I work with, and I've grown close to a lot of the patients. On Friday I got a hug from one of my regulars while grocery shopping.

What do I want to do? I'm way to young to stop working, as my hub pointedly and frequently reminds me. I don't need to make a decision soon, but it has been weighing on my mind. I believe there will be more change over the next two years in policy and staff. I'm pretty adaptable, but I've been spoiled at this office and I've been getting grumpy as I think about future changes. I should buck up and be thankful. Many people don't have jobs or hate the job they're stuck with.

This is the best job I've ever had. The worst job I've had was in college working as an advertising intern (for free) at a radio station. They primarily sent me out to collect on overdue accounts in person. Not fun.

What types of job dilemmas have you encountered? What's the absolute worst job you've ever had? And am I a big whiner?

8 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I have a question...why do you feel the need to make a change? Is it because you're bored? You're tired of the office? You don't like working with the new dentist? Or are your hours being cut back because Dr. L is cutting back on his hours?

I've been lucky. When I worked I had good jobs. The biggest work dilemma I had (besides spending more time in the principal's office than my students) was deciding whether to quit to stay home with my kids or keep working. Leaving my junior high students ended up leading me to writing, but I didn't know it at the time.

I'm not sure what to tell you. :) Good luck in your decision.

chanceofbooks said...

I'm the reigning Queen of Job Dilemmas. Trust me that you probably don't want my advice.

I just got an invitation to my 5 year reunion from Law School, and I'm physically ill just looking at it. I don't really regret my decision to not practice law right now, but it still stings from time to time as I imagine all those squandered earnings.

I think teaching & writing was what I wanted to do all a along, but just couldn't admit it to myself. I love teaching. I love my students, and I love being in the classroom.
I love being home with my baby, and knowing that I'm leaving her with DH when I teach at night.

However, we have very, very little savings. We live month to month, and it's a constant balance. There's no extras for things like trips and conferences.

DH and I decided 3 years ago that it was more important to us to have a good quality of life than to have $$$. He switched jobs, and I stopped practicing, and we're both way happier for it.

Happy but broke.

What did you want to be when you were little? If you won the lottery, what would you do with your days? If you couldn't write, what would be the next goal?

Karen Duvall said...

Kendra, it sounds to me like you're in desperate need of a change. Twelve years is a long time to be working in one place. Plus, you've been bitten by the writing bug and that can get one to thinking about their true vocation. I think you really want more time to write, but you can't because you need to help bring home the bacon.

If I were you, I'd find a way to cut my hours back at the office you're in, if it's something you can afford to do financially. Your creative heart is begging for attention, and I'm afraid you'll continue feeling anxious about your job situation until you give in, at least a little. Plus, the kidlets are growing up, right? They're not babies anymore. That's also a change you're dealing with.

I've had lots of crappy jobs over the years, and good jobs that turned crappy, or new people on the job drove me nuts. I've been a graphic designer for 30 years, so you can imagine the variety of people and places I've worked. I'm not one to stick with an employer more than 3 years at time, though I did stick with the last one more that 5. A new record.

I work for myself now, and I'd love to keep it this way. Actually, I'd love to write full time, but that obviously can't happen unless my husband or I win the lottery. Heh. But we're not deep in debt except for a 1st and 2nd mortage (we needed the second one to finance my husband's $24,000 dental bill). So basically I work to pay one mortage, my husband works to pay the other. Sigh. So I'll be doing the design thing for a good long while yet.

Kendra, maybe if you and your husband sat down and worked out a budget, you could see what you could get away with as far as cutting back your hours. Then you could write more, and that would probably settle your restless creative spirit.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

The biggest job dilemma I've faced was getting a job I wanted, wanted, wanted -- but my gut telling me it wasn't the direction to go. My gut feeling was right. Other job dilemmas I've faced seem to revolve around what others would consider practical vs. what my gut instinct was telling me was right. The gut instinct was right every time. (I hadn't put that together until now so thank you, Kendra, for the opportunity to see that!)

I've not really had a "worst" job. I've learned from every job I've had, even if parts weren't enjoyable. I was a waitress when I was in high school and wasn't very good at it, but I learned to appreciate how hard waitresses work. And having my own money was great for a kid who didn't have to pay a mortgage and living expenses. :)

One way to think about your dilemma is if the direction you take isn't quite what you imagined, make a course correction. This probably won't be the last career change you make. Be open to all options and enjoy this new phase of your journey!

Kendra said...

Wavy, I asked myself a few years ago what I really wanted to do and came up blank. I'm still blank. I like writing, but the ups and downs are tortuous for me. I can't bring myself to throw all my eggs into the writing basket.

Elisabeth and I have talked about this a little. I can't bring myself to say writing will be my career, because I might never make a penny. If I do get pubbed that's not a guarantee I'll be pubbed again. That's simply too "iffy" for me. I need to know when and where my next paycheck is coming from. This doesn't mean I won't write; it means I won't rely on it to feed my family. There has to be a back up plan.

Right now I'm looking down the road and I'm trying to get prepared. (I'm a major planner obviously.) I'm trying to mentally go through every possible option so I won't be surprised. I'm trying to listen to my gut like Genene said, but it's not talking.

My husband has worked for the same company since he was 17. I know he wouldn't be happy if I said I was cutting back at work. His hours are insane, and I've long felt guilty working my few days.

What a rambling answer.

chanceofbooks said...

Kendra,

Hoping you see this. I had a thought today. Why couldn't you teach at a Dental Hygenine program??? Would that maybe be an option for you?

Also, you might not know this but many medical malpractice attorneys LOVE getting people with a medical/dental background. If you found a firm specializing in dental cases, you might find it satisfying to do records review and medical cases.

And finally, my MIL was an ER nurse for over 20 years, but she switched to working for an insurance company. She really enjoys it. That might be another option for you.

Just some ideas :)

Kendra said...

Thanks, Wavy!

Elisabeth is right. You are the idea person. I wouldn't teach because hygiene school was utter h#ll, but I would consider the malpractice idea.

Paty Jager said...

I've had every kind of job- from dishwasher to CNA at a nursing home to receptionist for a chauvinistic ears, nose, and throat doctor.

My longest job was as a 4-H program assistant. 10 years and I was ready for a change! The shortest job was with the ears, nose, and throat doctor. I was 19 and didn't like the jokes and insinuations he made. I quit after two weeks and went to work in the toy department of a store right before the holidays!

I think it all boils down to where you are in your life and what you are looking for. Stability, creativity, fun- You need to find out what it is you really want or need, then go from there.

Good luck, Kendra!