Thursday, July 03, 2008

MOTIVATE ME!

Eli's post yesterday about "Your Bucket List" -- the ten things you would do if you had a terminal disease -- really got me thinking.

Others responded with places they would visit, writing milestones they would like to accomplish, and make-the-world-a-better-place wishes. When I actually thought about what would be on my list, the items revolved around simple pleasures and being with my family. What I learned: I need to simplify my life even more and spend more time with my family. Eli, you may not have intended the post to have deep meaning, but it did for me. So thank you for the lesson and the motivation...

Which brings me to the topic of today's blog: What motivates you?

For me, lists obviously provide motivation, as do "what if" scenarios. :)

What about the success of others? When you hear about another writer selling to a publisher, does that motivate you to keep working on your manuscript?

Writers workshops and contests also motivate me, as do the kind words of others. The kudos of people who have read my book urge me to get another book out to readers.

Internal motivation comes in the form of setting a goal and writing that goal down on paper, from a story that's going well, or characters who insist on having their story told.

How about things that might not seem like motivators on the surface? Can the "failure" of others be motivating? It was for me. After I received a "good" rejection letter with personal comments from an editor, someone told me of a similar letter they received that they turned into an opportunity to revise and resubmit their manuscript. It worked for me also. The other person eventually made a sale to that publisher. My manuscript didn't sell to the publisher I resubmitted to, but it did sell later.

Even the critical words of others can be a motivator. After my critique partner had gone through a manuscript, she urged me to submit it to her publisher. That became my first sale.

Then I discovered that selling a book and deadlines are some of the strongest motivators of all. :)

What motivates you? Any of the things listed above? What else? Anything unusual?

8 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Interesting Blog, Genene!

What motivates me- Definitely people asking when the next book will be out and not because they are making idle chit-chat but because they are waiting for the book. I told one person November, unless she wanted it in e-book and her comment was- "I don't want it hidden on my computer I want it on my shelf !"

I motivate myself. Like my 4000 words a day I started this week so I can get the contemporary done and out of my hair and get back to the historical. And I can say it's done when I pitch. I have the partial of the historical done so I can pitch that as well. I beat myself up if I don't accomplish a goal.

Seeing others success also makes me push harder. The compliments I've received along the way in rejection letters kept me pushing forward. If they liked it, then by golly one of these days they would take me on as a client or buy the darn thing! So I keep striving to write better.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I'm glad you found my post motivating, Genene! (Note to self: cross off number 9 - Do something for someone that changes their life for the better. Oh wait...maybe this doesn't quite qualify. LOL)

Okay, here's my take on motivation:

There are basically two kinds of motivation:

1) external motivation - which comes in the form of seeing others succeed or fail at the same goal you're striving for, praise or criticism on your own work, and your own success or failure at a certain goal.

and

2) internal motivation - which is the intrinsic drive a person has to reach a particular goal.

It is my belief - especially in writing for publicaton - that if you lack the internal motivation to become a published author, you'll probably never get there (I say probably because there are those lucky individuals who have publishing contracts drop in their laps, but for the majority of us, that doesn't happen). I know phenomenal writers who will never be published because they lack this internal motivation. No external motivation is going to get them to that point where they want it bad enough to work hard for it. Likewise, I've seen mediocre writers with great drive to be published who are now published, and I know lots of writers who maybe aren't published yet, but who have that drive that pushes them to work harder to get better and - I'm confident - will someday be published.

I don't believe you can teach someone to have that internal motivation. Either they have it or they don't. Lord knows I've tried - especially with writers I "KNOW" have the talent. Just because I want to read their stories in print doesn't mean they want it enough to go through what we all have to go through to be published.

I hear writers all the time talk about the difference between talent and perseverance. I do believe that you have to have a certain amount of talent to be a writer - or at least a good writer - but perseverance (and that internal motivation that drives perseverance) is what takes a good writer to being a published author.

I'm not a phenomenal writer. I like to think I have a little bit of talent - and a little natural instinct when it comes to writing - but I've had to learn a lot along the way. And work hard. And never give up. If I didn't have that internal motivation to get to my goal, I'd have thrown in the towel looooong ago. I'm sure the same is true for probably 99% of the published authors out there.

Great post, Genene. I think I went off on a tangent, but it really got me thinking about goals and motivation (and a bit of the conflict we all go through reaching for our goals).

Karen Duvall said...

What Eli said. 8^)

I'm motivated by my story ideas. They get me excited, as do the characters I create, and the bizarreness of how my mind works. If I couldn't get this stuff down on paper (so to speak) my head would explode.

And now that I have an agent, she motivates me. We're going through the revision process together right now and there's nothing like having a pro advocate coaching you along. Her enthusiasm and encouragement make me humble. How have I survived this long without her?

I guess I survived because of that inner drive Eli mentioned. And because I can't not write. My awesome agent's just going to be the one to help me make my dream come true.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Paty! You definitely motivate yourself. Four thousand words a day is amazing! But no beating up of self allowed.

Interesting comment from a reader about wanting your book on her shelf. People still want not just the sensory satisfaction of holding a book, but the visual reminder of that experience.

Yep, Eli, cross #9 off your list. But do it quick before my family gets tired of me and asks me to go back to my cave. LOL!

"Tangents" are welcome! Your points about internal and external motivation and perseverance are very valid. Maybe that journey to being published is a training ground for the vagaries of being published. If you don't have that internal motivation and belief in yourself to get published, you won't survive in the publishing world. And I think you have more than a "little" talent. :)

Wow, Karen! I'm so glad your relationship with your agent has clicked so well. You are generating so much positive energy!

"If I couldn't get this stuff down on paper (so to speak) my head would explode." What a vision that creates! I see characters and words and setting blasting up in the sky! But what a great motivator--that writing is as necessary as breathing or eating.

That internal motivation, the pushing forward, the perseverance--you ladies have those things in great force and it shows in all you have accomplished!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Now, back to work. Yeah, I know--you're already there!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great post. I think everyone faces "Motivate me!" everyday. I like to use milestones to keep me being motivated.

http://www.parents-kidz.com

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Cana!

Milestones are good motivators too! In fact, many goal gurus recommend breaking your goals down into milestones and celebrating when you reach them. Is that what you do?

Speaking of celebrations, those could be good motivators also. Reach a goal and celebrate with something that's special to you.

Thanks for stopping by!

chanceofbooks said...

Grades. Grades motivate me. The prospect of being judged plus having a real time deadline works for me.

Pity that my life of being grade motivated ended 5 years ago and I haven't yet found a good replacement motivator.

Numbers and deadlines work to some extent, but I tend to be an all or nothing person so if I get off-track it can be hard to get back on track.

It helps to have people counting me.

I'm still trying to figure out a good system for keeping motivation in all areas of my life--not just writing.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Wavy!

I hadn't thought of grades as motivation, but it's been a verrrrrrrry long time since I was in school. However, I can definitely relate to having people count on you, though I'm trying to say "no" more often as my extra responsibility gene overbooks me if I don't. :)

I was reading something not too long ago about finding things you were passionate about. If just the thought of doing a particular thing stirred excitement in your belly, then that would kickstart your motivation. Of course, you still have to find something that carries you through those days when your little one demands to be the only focus in your life--even if your motivation is calling you to do something else. :)