Monday, June 30, 2008

Funnies

As most of you know, our very own Lisa Catto is at this moment basking in the warm golden sunshine in Italy. Lisa left last week for her field school and will be gone until August 3rd. While I hope she has a fabulous time, I'm going to miss her. But for us here that means Lisa's blog days are open until she gets back. So if you have an itch to blog again July 14th or 28th, feel free to open a topic (of if you know of any guest bloggers, email me and I'll set it up).

This past weekend we had family visit and my SIL and niece were looking at my new book cover. A few things they said made me think of random comments I've received since selling and before, and I thought it might be funny to share some of the most amusing. Here are a few I've received over the years:

1. My 11-yr old niece, after looking at my book cover. "Oh, it's too bad they wouldn't let you write under your own name."

(Most of you already know this, but Naughton is my maiden name. And I doubt my 11 yr old niece even comprehends I had a pre-married different name at one time. Also, most people assume Elisabeth is a misspelling. Go figure.)

2. My sister-in-law, after I emailed her the cover. "Wow. How did you manage to get Dan (your husband) to pose for the cover? And who is that girl he's with?"
(Yes, this is a pic of my hubby when we were in Hawaii last year. Um...and the question was...)

3. My mother, after reading the book that will be my first release. "I really enjoyed it. But...Elisabeth! You don't talk that way!"

4. My brother, after attempting to read the book that will be my first release. "I tried. But...there are just some things a brother doesn't want to know his sister knows about."

I know there are more, but these are the ones that have stuck out to me. So your turn...share the funniest (weirdest) comments you've received about your writing or books. I'd love to hear them!

14 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Those comments are too funny. Did your SIL really think New York somehow put the dh on the cover? But my favorite is your brother's comment.

Okay, here are mine:
1. My Mother-in-law, after reading a book that borrowed extensively from a trip my mother and I took to China: "I liked the book, dear, but your mother isn't crabby and mean like that!" The heroine was traveling with her awful grandmother.)

2. My SIL: "After my surgery, I didn't want to read anything where I'd have to think so I read your book."

3. The librarian here in town, a nice guy, said, "I wish they'd give you better covers." Uh, thanks?

4. The librarian before him when I fist moved here and volunteered at the library, shivered and held herself and said, "I can't believe I'm standing here talking to a real writer." I know that was sweet of her to say but I realized there was no way I would ever live up to her inflated opinion of what a "real writer" was, and sure enough, I didn't.

I hope Lisa is having fun digging up bones. Thanks for filling in for her.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

ROFL, Alice. Those are hilarious!!! One question...did you put your SIL in a book somewhere down the line...maybe as a villain? LOLOL

The mother comment is too funny, also. The "mother" in my current wip is a real witch. I wonder if my mother will say anything along those lines...

And about my SIL's comments regarding my hubby and cover...Yes, she really did wonder if that was him. And the DH, of course, is eating it up. But I draw the line at calling him "Fabio".

Alice Sharpe said...

But I draw the line at calling him "Fabio".


LOL, Eli, his hair is too short!

Karen Duvall said...

LOL, Eli! Those are hilarious. Yours, too, Alice.

I have a few I can remember, mostly regarding my first book, Project Resurrection:

About the cover:

Stranger: "Is that you?"

Writer: "Hey, I know her. That's so-and-so, isn't it?"

Bookstore customer: "What's wrong with her eye."

(Note: I created this cover and the model is a Frankenstein version of several women from stock imagery.)

And for Desert Guardian:

My best friend: "I skimmed the sex part. It's too weird reading something like that when it's written by your friend." ::headdesk::

That's really all I can remember that was remotely funny. Some people asked how I knew so much about cults, which I guess could be funny if they were questioning my sanity. Oh, wait. I just remembered something really funny about DG that I must have blocked out. People would ask if it was on the shelves at Barnes and Noble. Hahahhahahaha! What a knee slapper. (wipes tear from eye) I still laugh about that one. 8^)

Alice Sharpe said...

Yoo hoo, Karen:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=Karen+Duvall&r=1

1.
Project Resurrection
by Karen Duvall
Paperback
Average Customer Rating:
Read customer reviewsWrite a review
Details
Usually ships within 24 hours
ISBN-13: 9780967197951 Pub. Date: October 2000 Read reviews
Online Price: $11.50
Members Pay: $10.35
Join Now

Check store availability
3 used from $1.99
Add to wish list

2.
Desert Guardian
by Karen Duvall
Paperback
Write a review
Details
ISBN-13: 9781601540140 Pub. Date: November 2006 Read reviews
A new copy is not available from Barnes & Noble.com at this time.
3 used from $66.59

Karen Duvall said...

Thanks, Alice, but that's their online store. They won't stock it in the brick and mortar stores. Sigh. Something about the publisher not being a member of their "small press program." It costs money to join, so that kind of leave TWRP out.

Project Resurrection, on the other had, was published with a traditional press and is in the B&N warehouse. That was kind of cool. But it's an old book now.

DG for $66.59? LOL! Me thinks that's a typo.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Ladies, those comments are so funny! I can't think of any funny comments about my books. My teenaged nieces seem the most eager to read them. Guess it's a good thing the love scenes aren't too racy. My mother hasn't read it yet. My sister's Internet service went down in the middle of downloading a copy of my book, so I sent it to her and haven't heard from her since. I think it's because she's working long hours...

Karen, $66.59 is the least expensive copy of Desert Guardian. The other two copies are listed at $76.01 and $85.42. WOW!

Eli, if you hear from Lisa, ask her if she made it to Italy with all of her luggage and gadgets intact. Loved her descriptions of creative thievery of tourists. Guess it's not so funny if it actually happens. Hope she is having a wonderful time!

Karen Duvall said...

Well, Genene, no wonder I'm not making any money off that book! No one can afford to buy it, LOL! 8^)

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Karen, those are great! Too funny about what your friend said, too. My girlfriend's husband calls me "Elisabeth Naughty-bits", because he knows I write romance. I've always just rolled my eyes at him because I know he thinks he's being funny when in fact he's NOT, but the other day when I saw him and he said this again it finally dawned on me. This girlfriend of mine has read all my books. She's my beta reader. She prints them out and puts them in a binder and reads them when she has a chance. No doubt her hubby has probably picked that thing up and paged through for "steamy" scenes. Hence the name: Elisabeth Naughty-bits. (To which I am still eye-rolling).

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I saw the $66.59, too. WOW!!! For that price I hope the book reads itself!

Paty Jager said...

I can come play now!!! I finished my 4000 words for the day and have to go rake hay.

But- I had to stop by.

Great comments, everyone! Don't you just love how people ask the darnedest things?

Several people have asked if my dh is the role model for the heroes. Maybe on one of his very, very, very good days! LOL

One man (in his 70's) who has read my books now makes more sexual innuendos/jokes when he is talking to us.

My daughter's, before they read my books, said they didn't want to read what Dad and I did. I set them straight that the heroes are not their dad, but I would LOVE to be the heroines! LOL

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'm sure something will strike me while I'm raking. I have a pad a nd pen with me.

Kendra said...

What I'm getting from all these comments is that friends (and family) project the author into the role of the protag. They seem to make a lot of assumptions that you're thinking of yourself as you write the heroine.

This will not be good for me.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

ROFLMAO, Kendra. So very true...

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Paty, too funny about your daughters' opinions. But Kendra's right...I think it's very hard for people we know to separate us from our characters.