Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sick Day

I'm in the middle of a horrific cold. Summer colds are the worst because you don't WANT to be in bed, and the sun seems to mock you by bestowing terrific weather just as you're stuck inside your house.

Someone should have warned me that there are no sick days for mothers. I think I would have negotiated a better deal. Do writers get sick days?

I'm not sure. I've read many writing blogs that proclaim that they write even when horking up a lung. In fact, some people seem to write MORE when they are ill. These are probably the same people who clean to relieve stress, and can't eat when they have a crisis. I'm quite clearly NOT this type.

But, which type are you? Does illness send you running for a stack of quilts and bestsellers, or do you push through? What type is your character? Have you worked an illness into a plot line yet?

Apologies for the brevity here. More content next time!

8 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Ah, Wavy, I'm sorry you feel so crummy. That no sick days for Mommies thing came as a little bit of a surprise to me, too. One time I had a three year old and a new baby and I got so sick I wanted to die. I called my mom to come help me. She said she would. She showed up right as both kids finally went to sleep for their two hour naps and I was about to collapse into bed. I sucked it up and visited for two hours and then she went home and you can guess what happened thirty seconds after her car left the driveway. Yep, both kids up, re-energized, raring to go.

Meanwhile, I can write when I'm kind of sick if I'm working on a story I know. I can't be creative, however, as in plotting, etc... I also don't gather books and take to bed though if I feel really crummy I might sit on the couch and watch TV. I don't tend to read when I feel terrible. And I have a hard time relaxing amid a mess -- thank heavens the dh isn't reading this because he would roll his eyes, but it's true. If I feel illness coming on, I tend to straighten things up so I can crash.

I hope you have plenty of fluids to drink and something with which to divert Tavy's attention and keep her occupied and I hope this cold is short and not too terrible.

Btw, loved meeting Tavy, she's adorable. Or is it Tavi? How do you spell it?

Paty Jager said...

(hugs) Wavy. There is nothing worse than feeling crummy and knowing someone else who feels fine depends on you. Someone who doesn't yet comprehend that mommy doesn't want to play like normal and is slower getting you the things you want.

I tend to write when I'm sick because I can sit in one place for a long period of time and do something constructive. When I'm sick it is usually my head hurts (sinus) or I'm nauseous so being still is good. And if I have my laptop, I can put it to the side at any given moment and take a nap. LOL

The heroine in my WIP would work right through her illness and never once let on that she was sick. I wrote a book once where the hero and heroine became closer while doctoring a diphtheria epidemic.

Lori Barber said...

Wavy, so sorry to hear you are sick with a nasty summer cold. It's the pits to be sick and still have to care for your little darlings.

Ack! I'm one of those people who cleans to relieve stress and can't eat in a crisis. And oddly, I too can sometimes write in the midst of it all.

When I'm real sick I sink into the bed or couch, watch TV, read and nap. If there are any creative brain cells firing, I write.

Kendra said...

When I was sick and my kids were tiny, I'd plant them in front of the TV and play Elmo and Barney tapes all day.

I'm a crawl in bed with a book type person. I can't work when I'm sick. I do have a secondary character "horking" in my current WIP. I wouldn't call it a plot line although it does screw up my protags' plans.

Alice Sharpe said...

I wanted to play along with the what would my heroine do part of your blog. As she's got quads under the age of a year, I bet she'd hardly notice she's sick. Or maybe she'd really notice. Gag, can you imagine how hard that would be?

Poor thing.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Ouch, wavy. I feel your pain. Try being sick with three... (I'll leave you with that lovely thought.)

I do like Kendra, plop them in front of the TV and try my darndest not to pay attention to them. (Doesn't work.) If I'm really bad I call the DH and tell him if he wants to remain married he needs to get home and take care of his children. Generally, he can tell when I'm just being cranky as opposed to when I'm really sick.

I can't work when I'm sick. Generally I lay around and read. If I'm really bad though and can't focus on reading, I'll watch TV and sleep.

I hope you feel better soon. Seriously, if you're not better tomorrow, give me a call and I'll come get Tavy for a few hours so you can sleep. My kids would love to terrorize - er, play with her. :)

Karen Duvall said...

So sorry you're feeling poorly, Wavy. Sigh. It sucks to be sick. I don't get sick very often, so when I am, I'm kind of a baby about it. When the kids were little, we'd all be sick together and just laid around not doing much of anything.

Get well soon!

chanceofbooks said...

I was so ill, I never made it back to thank everyone for their good wishes. I'm feeling much better now.

Alice, I wanted to call my mother and beg her buy a plane ticket :) And DH kept trying to help me get extra rest, but unfortunately we kept having similar timing snafus.

We call Octavia "Tavy" and it rhymes with WAVY. Wavybrains. Tavybrains. :)

Lori--I always new you were a Cylon. Seriously, though, I'm so envious.

Eli--thanks for the offer. I'm finally feeling better, but she'd love the chance to crawl after the gremlins. She loves being terrorized :P

She's too little for videos yet, but we did play many rounds of "stack Mama's paperbacks on the bed." :) :)

Thanks all.