Thursday, June 19, 2008

CHARACTERS WHO LIVE WITH ROOSTERS AND SUCH

Surfacing from plotting my nine-book series to write this blog. Bet you thought you were going to hear something more about plotting a series, didn't you? To quote Danita, "Ha!"

Well, this is kind of about series plotting. But I want to focus on character.

I've written most of the first book of my Legacy series, so I know the basic personalities of the heroes in these books. However, not all of their love interests are in the first book. They may not appear until the third, fourth or fifth book in the series. Yet they are coming alive in my mind and on the walls of my office and on the forms I use for character arcs.

For the first couple weeks I was plotting, I didn't put pressure on myself to do anything but brainstorm. I wrote notes on sticky notes, pieces of notebook paper, on a computer spreadsheet -- anything I had at hand -- and put them in a folder.

Now there are nine main folders (one for each book in the series) as well as nine easel-sized pieces of paper on my wall with photos that give me graphic reminders of each main character. I also did something with these characters that I haven't done previously. I had some bridal magazines that I went through to see if I could find a wedding dress that each of the heroines in these stories would wear.

Not only did the heroines pick out their own dresses, they gave me reasons why they chose a particular dress. From a full-skirted, traditional white wedding gown to a street length suit to a classic ivory sheath dress, these heroines had different tastes. I was so glad! From previous blog discussions, I know keeping stories fresh is one of the concerns of writers. With as many characters as are involved in this series, I want to be sure their personalities are different enough to stand out from each other. They are making it clear that they will be individuals!

On the other hand, the hero in my upcoming December release, FEATHERS ON THE FLOOR, didn't want to divulge much of anything about himself. I finally got the message that was the kind of individual he was. He was a man who watched or took action more than he talked. So as I wrote his story, he didn't speak much and his personality was revealed slowly over the space of the book.

Do you have a way or ways you make sure your characters aren't clones of previous characters? Do they come alive on their own and insist on being unique? Do they guard their secrets closely or share their deepest desires with you? What do you do if a character won't "talk" to you?

Next I think I'll ask my heroes and heroines to pick out a pet. One of them has already indicated she wants a rooster. :)

No comments: