Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Zigging When You Expected to Zag

Deborah Wright's ProfileCurrent Project: Mulling things over
Status: About to take off!

I used to daydream about what it would be like to be able to write full time. Of course, in those dreams I was already a published author and writing was my "day job" rather than working at my tech career. Ah, the sun would always shine and the words would simply pour from my fingertips. *cough*

Yeah, I didn't really believe that either.

Life has a funny way sometimes of taking our daydreams and turning them upside down. Last April the large High Tech company for which I work agreed to be acquired by an even larger High Tech company. The regulatory approvals stretched out long past what was naively expected (God bless the European Union!) and the acquisition only became final last month. Two days later (last Friday), I was informed that I wouldn't be offered employment with the new company and my job will end in the middle of February.

I can't say I was surprised. Still, I'm going through a lot of strange things. I worked for this company for nearly 19 years, and for other large concerns (government and private) before that for a total of 34 years of steady employment. It's a bit of a shock to realize that in two weeks I won't be accountable to anyone but myself for my time and my productivity. I don't remember the last time that was true (was it ever true?).

What does this have to do with writing? Well, I hadn't intended to be at this point in this way, but here I am. I'm certainly not published yet. Heck, I'm barely at the start of my writing efforts. But as much as the new company screwed with my life--making me zig when I expected to zag--they also gave me a gift that I don't intend to squander. Time.

The next time I blog here, I'll be amongst the ranks of the unemployed. Scary, but liberating at the same time. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Good Luck, Debbie! And put the time on your hands to good use by plinking away a the computer and finishing a book.

Alice Sharpe said...

Ah, Debbie, you get used to making your own schedules and you'll never want to go back! Well, as much as anyone really ever makes their own schedules... there's always someone else to tend to or something else to do. I predict after a few months away from the grind, you'll wonder how you ever had TIME to work.

Isn't time an amazing thing? It can stretch on forever or pass in the beat of heartbeat, it can change everything or compound problems, it can be a liberator or a trap.

Enjoy yours, whip that inner writer into shape, go out to lunch with the dh on a Tuesday, be all that you can be (don't get a puppy...)

Anonymous said...

Debbie-- You're not among the "unemployed"; you're just no longer enslaved! YAY for freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness! Go for it! I'm thrilled for you. This is your time to do what YOU want at your pace and live to make yourself happy. You'll get your book written and sold, and then once again you'll be a "slave". How's that for encouragement? *grin*

Alice said-- "don't get a puppy..." That was hilarious!! *still laughing*

chanceofbooks said...

I wish you much luck on your new journey! (And I second Alice, no puppies!( or toddlers!))

Awesome Sauce said...

*long whistle* Sure sounds awesome. Delicious, really. I'm DYING to get out of school and have more time for my own pursuits. You are lucky!

Hopefully everything goes awesome for you, and the words do indeed "pour from [your] fingertips." Lots of luck and creative ideas!! *sends 'em over on an orange blast of power... cause orange is the best color*

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

"...a gift that I don't intend to squander..."

Love your attitude, Debbie! I'll be interested in where this next part of your journey takes you. Enjoy!

Deborah Wright said...

Paty -- Thanks! And that's my plan! I'm taking a few days off (writing) to deal with things, but then I'm getting right back at it with a vengeance. :-)

Alice -- I'm looking forward (more and more) to being free to do what I want, when I want, for a change. And don't worry, I have no plans to get a puppy! (the cats would hold a strike)

Becky -- yay for freedom! I can't wait. :-)

Wavy -- no puppies (check!), no toddlers (double check!) LOL! Thanks! :-)

Katie -- thanks for the 'orange blast of power' -- I can already feel it! :-)

Genene -- I'm looking forward to what lies ahead, too! :-)