Current Project: Blatant self promotion of A VALENTINE'S ANTHOLOGYStatus: Book launch party on February 14
For several weeks, we have had a great deal of discussion and enthusiasm about setting goals and working toward writing dreams. I didn't consider these things when I joined RWA almost twenty years ago. I simply discovered a fascinating world where writers finished books and sold them for undisclosed sums of money and, best of all, shared the secrets of how to write with wide-eyed newbies like me.
If someone would have asked what my writing dream was back in those days, I probably would have finally stammered out that I wanted to write a series romance and sell it to Harlequin/Silhouette. If they would have pressed me for specific goals to realizing this dream, I doubt I would have been able to list much beyond write the book and submit it.
From RWA, I learned the craft of writing, and then I learned to target specific editors and lines, and had the opportunity to enter contests and attend conferences to do this. I learned about publisher guidelines and query letters and those dreaded synopses. I learned so much from RWA and was offered so many opportunities. They encouraged my dream.
Through rejections and doubts, writer friends encouraged me until I developed the inner strength and confidence to pursue my own dream. Until I became one who offered encouragement to other writers whose dream seemed just out of reach or totally impossible or perhaps just a bit unfocused.
My own dream has changed since those early days. I have chosen an alternate pathway to share my stories: a small publisher of electronic books and books that are printed on demand as readers order them. I see this not-so-new technology and the more recent technology of combining audio and video with words to form interactive books as exciting developments. Others aren't so eager to embrace these changes.
This produces chaos and conflict--the stuff of good stories--but an uncomfortable situation in "real life," especially when our national organization that sets policy and direction struggles to define their role in this time of dramatic change in the book producing industry. Amid this conflict, how do we focus on our dreams? How do we encourage others to follow their dreams, even though those dreams may be different than ours?
A couple days ago, I talked to a woman who has the dream of writing a novel. She has written poems and has done some work on a novel. She said she had a couple of main characters outlined, had some ideas about plot, and knew the story would be a thriller. But she hadn't written anything since Christmas. Some people would have told her that writers write every day and since she wasn't doing that, she wasn't a writer and might as well give it up now.
That's not my style. I told her she had made a good start, gave her some ideas for resources that might help, and told her I was looking forward to meeting her on Sunday at my booksigning. If we had talked longer--without the beeping of my cell phone warning the battery was almost dead--I would have also encouraged her to think about what she wanted out of writing. Writing for the pleasure of putting words in the computer? A few copies of a book for friends and family? A comfortable income with a small publisher? A contract with a New York print publisher? A New York Times bestseller?
As someone recently commented to me, what you want from writing--your dream--will determine your promotion, your networking, the time you commit to writing, perhaps even the stories you choose to write--or someone else chooses for you.
I'll offer those suggestions when I talk to this woman again and will tell her about new opportunities. However, I will also caution her to beware of unscrupulous businesses who want to take advantage of her dreams, something I wouldn't have felt necessary just a few months ago.
How about you? What encouragement have you received in pursuing your writing dreams and goals that has been most helpful? And when you offer encouragement to other writers--no matter whether you think you're a newbie or have been at this writing business awhile--what do you say? Have your suggestions changed as technology and publishing have changed? Or do you encourage new writers to simply tell the best story they can?
10 comments:
Genene you have always been my inspiration from the first conference I came to and you welcomed me like an old friend to your insane plotting and voracious promotion! LOL
When I joined RWA my goal was to learn the craft of romance writing. Period. I knew I had a lot to learn and I came to organization to learn. Then I after finaling in contest and seeing I had something I didn't know I had, I started pursuing getting published. I had hopes of a big NY publisher but even though I would get rejections "I liked it or loved but it's not what we're looking for", when the chance came to submit to a new upcoming publisher I went for it. And I'm glad I did. I have had a great time learning the business in less hostile environment and now I'm ready to try the big dogs.
People I talk to who are writers and trying to break in, or just get on a writing schedule, I always encourage with write what you can when you can and study up on the business. Also get a writing critique partner. It is much better than having a friend of family member read your stuff.
As for giving back to other writers... I'm giving three workshops int he next three months!
Great post!
I love these people who have decided what a "real" writer is, how often a "real" writer writes, what they write, who they sell to, the one and only way to go about doing anything -- which is always THEIR way.
Life is a buyer beware place. Writers are people with a brain -- it's hard to take a stupid writer seriously. Thus writers need to use their brain and make their choices with their brain.
I tell new writers to write with passion, to hone their craft, to ignore naysayers, to investigate options, to chose wisely.
I did not join RWA until I I had published several books so I didn't use the organization the same way so many have with contests and all that. I keep saying it -- every journey is different and in the last two years if there is one thing I've learned it's not to be smug.
Smug, which is willing to wait for the right time no matter how long it takes, comes back to bite you in the rear every time. A little humility goes a long way.
LOL, Paty! I think "insane" is the operative word in my plotting and promotion--as well as other areas of my life.
You have always impressed me as knowing exactly what you wanted to do with writing. Plus the fact that you would drive several hours to attend a meeting. I'm still amazed at that dedication.
I like your wise and common sense suggestions for upcoming writers. And hooray for you for giving workshops. That takes a lot of energy and time, but sharing your wisdom and experiences is definitely a gift to other writers.
As always, Alice, so much wisdom in your suggestions! As writers, we must also be business people and entrepreneurs. Always aware of the writing/publishing business and always looking for ways we can meet the changing demands to not only get our stories to readers, but to keep selling.
I met many writers when I first joined RWA who were selling well and writing stories I enjoyed, but who haven't had a book published in years. It would be interesting to investigate why these writers "disappeared."
Did they wait, as you mentioned, until opportunities went to another writer? Or did their dreams change so that writing was no longer a priority? Will they some day come back to writing stronger than ever? Definitely many different journeys!
Man, if you have a story (or ten) that you want to write, go for it! Who cares about what's going on, just write for yourself. When you get it all down and want to share it with the world, that's when you worry about everything else. I never think about publishing houses or agents or prizes. I'm still focusing on what my story is. I need all my energies to be in finishing a book, and being satisfied with where it's going. Once I'm past that, I can begin to worry! LOL
Good luck with your new story, Genene! That's exciting. :)
Hi, Katie!
I think you might be onto something with the advice "write for yourself." Of course, if your writing is what puts food on the table (or kibble in your doggies' bowls :) you have to kinda pay attention to the market. But if you're not pleased with what you're writing, I think that will show also. There's that balance thing again!
Thanks for the good wishes on the new release. I'm really looking forward to the launch party!
I've taken to heart the advice Stephen King gives in his book On Writing: "Write with the door closed, re-write with the door open." Meaning, write the first draft just for you, edit with other readers in mind.
Now every time my internal editor starts crabbing about whether what I'm writing is publishable, I remind myself of that advice. Hey, if it's good enough for Stephen King...
Hi, Debbie!
That's an intriguing way to mix writing the book of your heart and also please the market gods. Kind of a different take on what Katie suggested. It will keep the passion in the meat of the story and accessorize to please readers.
Sorry for the mixed metaphor! But I'm playing with this in my mind and liking it the more I think about it. Not just balancing your own passion for the story and making it marketable, but viewing this process from a positive perspective.
Thank you! (And congratulations on your freedom day!)
The encouragement I get from this chapter is what keeps me going!
Thanks for a great post Genene!
Bethany, you are so goal-oriented! It's easy to admire your determination and just remind you to slow down and pamper yourself once in awhile. :)
Post a Comment