Current Project: NMMNG
Status: Eh.
Apologies for my blog absence this week. I'm a bit of an Olympics junkie, and the late nights have me spending most of my day blinking last night's viewing out of my eyes and craving the coffee I can't drink right now. My husband is already teasing me about how I am going to live without my "spandex boyfriends" while on the retreat next week (the finals of the women's figure skating is next Thursday--and yes, I have the schedule memorized). But, of course, I keep repeating the cycle of late nights and grumbling about network scheduling while managing a huge stack of grading which is the definition of insanity right?
My husband suggests that I just watch the events online, but most of the online stuff doesn't have the commentary, and really, it's the commentary that I love. As a writer, I love the human drama--the disabled brother, the four jobs just to afford lessons and skates, the near-death injuries, the far-flung family in the stands. I love the little tidbits about the athletes and the coaches. I notice that my sympathies often change based on these tidbits. Case in point, I wasn't rooting for China's pair skaters at all until I saw the segment on how the husband and wife team had been skating together for 18 years (!!!), but I still wasn't down with their coach until I saw the segment on him and all he's went through to build the figure skating program in China.
I think this applies to books too--often all that separates a potential hero from a villain is a little tidbit of information. The right back story changes someone from dismissible to unforgettable, and the right gesture at the right time makes all the difference. Last night, I was rooting for one of the American men figure skaters, but on the fence about the other as I saw him as a bit cold and mechanical (And I hate his costume). But, then after skating a brilliant program, this mechanical skater showed such joy and relief that I'm now hoping he wins gold tomorrow night. Later, my heart broke for my favorite guy as he failed to deliver the performance he needed, and his reaction of disappointment was mirrored by his coach and his large contingent of friends and family in the audience.
This is why it is so critical to let the reader in on your character's inner workings and why the reaction scenes are just as important as the action scenes. If we don't see the hero's emotions after the big fight and see his hurt and pain manifest themselves in his actions, he can come across as cold and callous. If we don't see the heroine picking herself back up mentally after a disappointment, she comes across as whiny and needy. If we don't see a hint of the villain's tortured past, he comes across as one-dimensional. Little reactions of secondary characters are so key to maintaining tension and drama too--a mother's tightly clasped hands and supportive t-shirt adds drama, but the house she sold to help the hero get to this moment raises the stakes. The wife who seems supportive on paper reveals her true colors with her bored, pissy expression in the stands, and suddenly another layer is added. The teammate who shakes off his or her own disappointment to revel in pure joy for a teammate's winning performance makes a sidekick worthy of a sequel while one who goes and sulks or who only offers a lukewarm handshake becomes less trustworthy.
A key theme here is raising the stakes--I feel no solidarity with a young self-made millionaire ski bum who keeps to himself. He's clearly competing for himself alone, and losing would be a personal disappointment for him with no real consequences. But the athlete who works four jobs to be able to afford lessons and whose parents are mortgaged to the hilt--I can't click away. I want this athlete to win because winning has real consequences for him beyond making all the training worth it. An uninjured athlete with a happy home life is a boring athlete. But, an athlete competing against doctor's orders while risking the wraith of a spouse? Now that's worth a bowl of popcorn or seven. Lindsay Vonn was just another blonde genetically blessed skier to me until she injured her shin and suddenly the drama shifted from "will she win" to "will she compete."
The stakes aren't high enough for me in events where each athlete competes one at time, battling only the clock or a judge. Other factors have to come into play to hold my interest in these events. But, a pack of eager competitors all jockeying for position with lots of potential for falls and come-from-behind wins is often enough to hold my interest even if I don't know that much about the competitors or the sport. Likewise, a heroine or hero battling an unseen evil is much less interesting than one pitted against foe, and a field of foes just raises the stakes that much more for readers. And when that known foe has an interesting story of his or her own or a long history with the hero, the battle becomes epic. Similarly, an athlete competing in his or her last Olympics is so much more interesting than a 15 year old with a bright future ahead--a loss for the young athlete doesn't sting so much. Likewise, an athlete struggling to overcome a humiliating loss is so much more likeable than one who is merely trying to capitalize on a long-string of victories. People love the improbable heroes, and improbable heroes with impossible odds are unforgettable.
I keep returning to this theme as I ruminate on my WIP (ruminating is at least a little bit of progress, right?)--I have to keep raising the stakes. It's boring when everything goes as planned for the characters, and readers have to have reason to invest in a particular scene or they will get bored and skip ahead or put the book down. These are the basics of good fiction writing preached in countless workshops and books, but sometimes seeing them played out in a non-fiction, real-life context puts them in a whole new light.
Your turn: What real-life events have given you aha! moments about the craft of writing? Also, are you watching the Olympics? What's your favorite event and why?
7 comments:
Checking the box so I remember to reply to comments.
Wavy -- Thank you for that blog. It was just what I needed to read and think about -- you've given me a whole other way to think about the Olympics but more importantly to me right now, a way to rethink my characters and plots. So, many thanks.
I have always been a huge figure skater fan although I get tired of it now and I think it's because the jumps are emphasized to the point that a lot of the artistry is gone -- there simply isn't room for it. So it's like jump, jump, skate, rest, work up speed, wave hands lyrically until -- jump, jump, jump... My favorite was Kurt Browning for just that reason -- he danced to his own drummer.
That very thing, come to think of it, is why certain mysteries and thrillers leave me cold. Too much jumping, not enough interesting twists and breath taking nuances...
Btw, I was totally turned off by the self made millionaire skier too until one of the commentators said something like, "most of the athletes here (and perhaps he meant on the slopes) are building themselves a label, a future for endorsements, etc. This guy doesn't need any of that, he skies because he loves to ski in competition." That kind of gave me a peek at a loner who still cares about accolades... interesting.
back to work, but paying more attention to reaction and small gestures.
I'm with you Wavy! I stayed up till midnight watching the men's ice skating. I'm like you the story of their life can change my alliance in a heartbeat. But I'd watched a segment with Evan before he skated and I was on the edge of my seat hoping he'd do well. I don't want the Russian to win. He's too cocky for me. I cheered for the kid from France who, as a child, was abandoned on the streets of Brazil. So yes, I like the human aspect of the Olympics.
I'm bummed I'll be driving to Baker City on Thursday night but if I'm lucky Angie will have the TV on when we get there and I'll catch the tail end of the men's skating.
I agree it is the things people/characters battle that make them stand out in the readers minds.
Awesome post!
Alice, I LOVED Kurt Browning. I actually loved him even more once he turned pro and could focus on what he loved. I still fondly remember his "Brickhouse" number. He was so much fun. I loved Elvis Stoko (sp) as well for similar reasons. There was a young Japanese skater last night (currently in second place) whose energy and artistry reminded me of the skaters of past decades. He's worth watching tomorrow night :)
Paty--the skating typically picks up after the first broadcast hour, so I hope you are able to catch most of the competition.
Wonderful blog, Wavy!
As Alice said, this offers a whole 'nother way to think about characters and plots. I've printed it off and put it in with my series so I remember to dig deeper into motivation and backstory and emotions that make characters memorable. Thank you!
Since I don't watch TV, I'm not watching the Olympics. However, I may have to catch some of the events online now that you've told some of the stories behind the thrill of victory. :)
"But, a pack of eager competitors all jockeying for position with lots of potential for falls and come-from-behind wins is often enough to hold my interest even if I don't know that much about the competitors or the sport."
You just summed up why I love watching snowboarding!
Great post. And so very true. Depth, depth and more depth.
Post a Comment