Current Project: 2010 Golden Heart ProjectStatus: On Temporary Hold!
I had a lot of trouble coming up with what I wanted to write for today's blog (seeing how late I am in posting, that was kinda obvious, huh?). I wanted to say something pithy about how I feel, now that I'm no longer working for the man. At one point I even considered calling my post, Free at Last!, but thankfully thought better of it. I still don't have anything pithy for you, so I guess I'll just wing it. :-)
I would normally have had Monday off as a holiday, so today was the first day that my new circumstances really hit home. I slept in. Okay, it was only until 8:45, but it counts! I didn't immediately login and check my email. In fact, this afternoon was the first time I've been on the computer all day. I went for a walk and out to lunch with my husband and didn't worry about the time, or about checking my email and voicemail from my iphone. Nor was I distracted thinking about the problems with the latest software or whether a project was approved.
This is a scary thing for me, being 100% responsible for my time and what I do with it. Oh, it isn't like I wasn't responsible before this; I always worked my patootie off for my employers. But now my time is my own and I'm only accountable to myself. It's only been two days, but I already understand why my father preferred working for himself. The profound sense of freedom I feel is almost overwhelming.
I took the last two weeks off from writing. I was technically still employed, though there wasn't anything I needed to do except make sure I had all of my employment records saved and that I returned all of the company electronic/computer gear. My mind, however, wasn't ready to be creative. Every time I opened a file to start writing, I immediately thought of a ton of other things I needed to get done. I just wasn't into it. So instead of pushing it, I gave myself permission to step back for a short time.
It was the right decision. I've already had a few lightbulb moments happen since the weekend--the kind of moment where you get the answer to a plot or character problem seemingly out of the blue. It's a sign that my subconscious was still chugging away on Story, even while I was unable to focus on writing a single word.
I hope to get right back into writing this week, but if I don't that's okay. Not because I can't focus, but because I've torn my office apart! I should have it back together by Thursday, at the latest. I'm looking forward to the future with a fresh outlook in an office that doesn't have a split personality. I can't wait.

5 comments:
*whistles* That is so cool, Debbie! I wish I had your freedom, too. You lucky thing! It's too bad it takes so much effort to keep up our living standards in this country, or everyone could have a lot more freedom to enjoy a slower lifestyle. But good luck with your story as it unwinds for you, and good luck with everything else!
I totally get what you mean by "contemplating the future." I'm in the same position, wondering about college and a job and all that adult stuff waiting for me. It looks so shiny and exciting, but there are sharp edges I have to look out for. It's hard to be wise when I've never done any of this before! I'm blind, because no one can tell me the best direction. It's my life, and I have to figure it out. Scary!
Have a nice week! :D
Sounds like you are taking the right attitude toward this, Debbie. It is cool when your story keeps percolating in your head even when you don't think it is!
Good luck with the office redo, and I have confidence you'll be cranking out pages soon.
Debbie -- You Rock!!! Some of us are at the beginning of career decisions, and some of us made those decisions a long time ago (or recently) and have survived or suffered the consequences. Yours kind of got forced on you and thus it falls to you to make the most of it and that leaves room for interpretation and if that isn't the soul of freedom, tell me, what is?
I can't wait to read your first book.
Hi, Deb!
Before I retired six years ago, I was lucky enough to have a job with a flexible schedule and lots of surprises. When I was home, I had lots of different projects going. So I didn't actually have a set routine that was suddenly gone. I'd already decided to set up my own graphics business and had that in place, so between that and my home projects, things expanded to fit my available time and I wondered how I ever had time to work full-time for someone else. My biggest challenge was spending more money than I had coming in!
You have so many talents! I think you're very wise to take it easy for a while and think about your options. I have a tendency to cram too much into my life and now I'm sorting priorities and simplifying.
This is a wonderful, scary time for you! Hopefully you have the freedom to try something and if it's not what you wanted after all, you can change direction and try something else. Enjoy!
I envy your freedom, but I know what you mean about it being a little scary too. I sometimes feel like I am more productive now than when I had more time. It's tough to force yourself into a routine just for you. Congrats on your new life though, and if anyone can make this time work for them, it is you. Can you post pictures of your re-organized office? I'd love to see how you switch the vibe from programming to writing!
Post a Comment