
I have it on good authority (thanks, Alice!) that blog topics this week should lean toward playful rather than serious. So I've reconsidered my original topic and have come up with a brief survey for those of us "left behind."
On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 1 being "too lame" and 10 being "over the top") please rate the following promotional ideas. (Oh, yeah, a rating of 5 is "just right"!)
AT A BOOKSIGNING, to draw attention to her book about a former rock star, the author:
1. Dresses as an Elvis impersonator?
2. Gives away chocolate?
3. Holds a drawing for rock and roll memorabilia for anyone who buys her book?
4. Lip syncs oldies songs on an air guitar?
5. Strips off her clothing and throws it at the audience/potential readers?
IN A NEWSLETTER to promote her book about a former rock star, the author:
6. Makes up stories about her affairs with rock stars.
7. Interviews former rock stars.
8. Lists upcoming events where she will be appearing.
9. Reveals backstory trivia about the characters in her book.
10. Prints X-rated photos of rock stars.
ON HER WEB SITE to (again) promote her book about a former rock star, the author:
11. Runs monthly contests giving away music memorabilia.
12. Offers links to fan clubs for oldies rock bands.
13. Plays videos of fans impersonating their favorite rock star.
14. Offers the "scoop" on what former rock band members are doing now.
15. Offers details on diseases known to infect large farm animals.
That's the end of the survey! And please know that those items you consider "just right" may end up part of my promotion plan for my books, so beware how you rate these ideas. :)
12 comments:
Genene, what fun! Now you have me curious about what topic you postponed!
1. 10
2. 5
3. 5
4. 5 (just because I'd pay big money to see you do this...)
5. 5 (ditto)
6. 5 (brilliant!)
7. 5
8. 5
9. 2
10. 9
11. 5
12. 5
13. 5 (brilliant)
14. 5
15. 5 (see #4 above...)
You're so good at this!
Thanks for the laugh, Genene.
1. Elvis impersonator?
8: Elvis scares me.
2. chocolate?
5: Duh.
3. drawing for rock and roll memorabilia?
5: Fits right in.
4. Lip syncs oldies songs?
8: Oldies scare me.
5. Strips off her clothing?
Hey, whatever it takes to sell the book.
6. Makes up stories about her affairs with rock stars.
5: Definitely!!! Put in politicians too.
7. Interviews former rock stars.
5: Love it.
8. Lists upcoming events.
5: But of course.
9. Reveals backstory trivia.
5: Fun.
10. Prints X-rated photos of rock stars.
5: Except Keith Richards.
11. Runs monthly contests giving away music memorabilia.
5: Cool.
12. Offers links to fan clubs.
5: Easy & fun though not my sort of music. Throw in something hot & now too, I think.
13. Plays videos of fans impersonating their favorite rock star.
5: Oh yes.
14. Offers the "scoop" on what former rock band members are doing now.
5: Tragically, half will be dead.
15. Offers details on diseases known to infect large farm animals.
Is this a preview of the next book?
LOL, Genene! Fun! Well, I don't have time to rate these, so I'll just pick. 8^)
For a booksigning, I rank 2 and 3 a 10.
For a newsletter, I pick none of the above because I don't think newsletters are good promo tools, but I do think blogs are, so switch newsletter to blog and I choose all of the above as a 10!
Good luck with your promo campaign!
Hey, Alice!
Perhaps I should give up writing romances and go for something with more shock value!
By the way, when you say big money, are you talking fake bills 2 feet by 4 feet in size or really big money, such as $10?
Thanks for the feedback. (Yeah, I know -- don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer!)
P.S. to Alice: I was going to blog about judging contests--what I learned and things I saw that could help or hinder contest scores. A timeless topic that will wait for another time.
Hi, Jessa!
My age is showing with the reference to Elvis and oldies, isn't it? I really like your idea of tossing in something hot and now. I'll have my kids help me with that as well as setting up a MySpace page.
Yep, chocolate is still a hit!
I'm not sure I'm liking the survey answers to stripping off the clothes and affairs with rock stars (oh, yeah, made up stories--not real affairs). Some of the questions were supposed to elicit "please don't do this" answers. Like the farm animal diseases... LOL!
Thanks for dropping by!
Hi, Karen!
Glad you could stop in! And please clarify--when you rate these a "10" does that mean I should do them or they are too over the top to do? (Perhaps you can save me from myself!)
I'm headed over to your blog now to see how the "left behind" class is going ...
Genene, I misread your rules for scaling. I meant a 10 as great, so I guess I really mean 5 because they're just right! Sorry. My brain is on graph and chart overload. Blurg...
Hi, Karen!
I figured you meant "10" as great, but I was hoping someone would save me from having to deliver on some of what I thought were "over the top" promo ideas. Guess I'd better quit whining and get to work on these. :)
Hi, Karen!
I figured you meant "10" as great, but I was hoping someone would save me from having to deliver on some of what I thought were "over the top" promo ideas. Guess I'd better quit whining and get to work on these. :)
Give away Chocolate!
Hold a drawing, but don't make purchase of the book mandatory!
I actually think all the newsletter ideas are good, provided they are done in a very, very funny way.
Ditto website. It's possible to push the envelope :) :) As long as your tongue is firmly in your cheek!
Thanks for your input, MWV/Wavy!
Chocolate is a must have. I can do that!
Tongue in cheek I might have to work on so I don't slip into serious. That's why I haven't finished a romantic comedy -- I veered into serious drama toward the end. Humor, must have humor!
Post a Comment